CAT SDAT LEB-404 Hi-Fi Floor Standing Speaker

Username: Dmbrock

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 1
Just purchased these. Read former reviews and they sounded like a good deal. NOW MY QUESTION:

Run my stereo thru my computer using a 15 year old Technics Amp (SU-V78). My player is MusicMatch. My old speakers were Technics SB-2844. My old speakers gv much better volume even tho they had less wattage (not bad sound either). There is a lot of bass playback on the CAT speakers (afraid i will blow them so turned bass basically off). What can I do to stop this. Sound is good on the CAT but the volume isnt the same (have to play it at full volume to get what I use to get but the sound is a bit more clear). I dont know much about soundsystems but really would appreciate someones knowledge about what I am doing wrong. Also using megacable pure copper wire) Thanks much.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3339
the speaker cable won't make a whit of difference, don't give that another thought.

It sounds like your old Technics speakers had higher sensitivity and maybe higher impedance so they were an easier load for the amp to drive. If you plan on keeping the amp, all you can do is what you've already done...reduce the bass.

Also if the SDATs are rear ported, move them further away from the rear wall and away from any corners. You might also want to place them on low (12-16") speaker stands, this should also lessen any boominess.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us