Need help choosing a good amp

Username: Gdanbo

St.louis, Mo USA

Post Number: 1
Need a new integ amp. I listen to vinyl mostly, with emphasis on jazz and jazz rock. I want to spend around $1,000 for this project. Read good reviews on PLINIUS 8200 mkII and UNICO, both with phono stages (comparable prices for used pieces, with the PLINIUS being more expensive). Don't need a lot of power, just a good, warm all-around sound.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6851

You haven't mentioned what speakers will be used with the amp, so it is difficult to make sweeping recommendations. Assuming a moving magnet phono cartridge, I would suggest you listen to some products which utilize vacuum tubes in the circuitry. Tubes and vinyl have an affinity for each other that does quite well with the music choices you claim. Lacking tubes I would make a next choice to be MOSFET's. In the case of the Unico, you have both performing functions they do well. On the solid state only side, and once again making an asumption that you have no desire to play with cartridge loading, the Rega integrateds have always done well with phono based systems. That barely touches the new market and leaves out entirely what is available from the pre owned side.

Without further details regarding what aspects of reproduction you consider critically important, there isn't too much more to add. "Good, warm all-around sound" covers what you will hear in many components. Anyone using an NAD integrated would tell you that is precisely what they hear. I would suggest there are products which can easily outperform the NAD, but without more knowledge of what you are listening for, I can't make any further recommendations.

What lines do you have the ability to audition in the St. Louis area?

Username: Gdanbo

St.louis, Mo USA

Post Number: 2
I have to check out some of the Hi-End stores here in STL. As far as speakers, right now I am using a pair of INfinity, lower end 2 way speakers. That's another upgrade I need to do. I have THORENS tABLE with MM cartridge. As far as music goes, besides jazz-rock I listen to some folk rock, classic progressive, such as YES, GENESIS, PFloyd and the likes.

Username: Tparker1

Winston salem, NC USA

Post Number: 1
If you want the best for the money then the Prima Luna Prologue One can't be beat though you will have to come up with a extra 100 dollars.You won't regret it.Read about the Intregrated Tube Amp here.

ProLogue One integrated amp

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/newsletter/151/prima_luna.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us