Boomy Klipsch

Kram
Unregistered guest
I am I member of an organization, and the club just purchased a pair of Klipsch speakers. I have been noticing that they sound rather boomy and sound like the treble and bass are seperate rather than blended together. Is it just me or are certain Klipsch speakers muddy sounding?

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 389
Professional klipsch speakers are known for having very tight bass. What are you using to drvie them with? How much power do the amps have? How are the speakers placed? There are other variables to consider as well, but these are the basics.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6838

Power should not be an issue with a Klipsch speaker! And, what is one person's "tight" bass (?) can easily be regarded by another listener as "boom"! Kram, I believe you have correctly identified the "sound" of a Klipsch speaker. Placement can help to some extent with the "boom" issue, however, that is a characteristic of the speaker. If the speakers are placed in corners, that will only emphasize the boom of the Klipsch design.

Bronze Member
Username: 2morex

Exmore, Virginia USA

Post Number: 43
I agreee with you Jan (once again?). I owned a pair of la Scalas in my younger days, play loud as h#ll, is about all I can say about them. They sure were not "refined" by any means, nor polite. I'd say "in your face" best describes them. Interesting note, I went from the klipsch to apogee centaurs, somewhat of a paradigm shift, you think?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6841

Equivalent to Iran becoming the new Vatican.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 390
Are the klipsch cinema speakers really that much better than the standard pro line?

The reason why I am asking is because my first comment was based on the dual 15 inch horn loaded cinema subwoofer.

A nightclub I used to frequent has a good half dozen of these, and the bass can blow you against the wall (figuratively speaking). However, not only is it loud, the tightness and depth are also second to none. I HAVE heard tighter bass, but not in the professional market. This is bass that would sound at home mated up in a decent home theatre system.

That is why I posted my first comment. I was surprised that klipsch pro grade speakers didn't perform the same way.

Bronze Member

Exmore, Virginia USA

Post Number: 44
Klipsch builds excellent horn loaded speakers, period. If you like horns and what they offer, then klipsch is the way to go. I have never heard 15" horn subs, but I can only imagine the output and the damage to one's ears!

Anonymous

Without knowing what model they are, even Mr Vigne's usual bias is irrelevant.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6865

They are "Klipsch". Alas, that is all that is required. Some are less boomy than others and some are more convincingly integrated than others. That amount of inconsistency aside, in the end, they are "Klipsch". No more need be said.

Anonymous

That's what I meant. Roll them all up into a little description; that's what you do best Mr. Vigne. From the $100 model to the $7000 model. Whether it be horn-loaded bass or not, you don't need to know to share your opinion. Alas (fancy word there, I'll use it too; it makes the comment seem more important than it really is), you've said enough for eveybody to see my point.

Is there any other brand you care to bash without reason today, Mr. Vigne?

Bronze Member

Exmore, Virginia USA

Post Number: 46
Alas, Anon. If you own Klipsch speakers and love them Jan and everyone else in this forums,believe me,is thrilled. And own up to whom you are, there is no shame in owning Klipsch. Paul Klipsch was brilliant and built one h*ll of a speaker, their success stands on its own merits. But they are not for everyone, nor or Wilsons, or any other brand. But, having owned and listened to a variety of horn loaded klipsch speakers, I think Jan is correct is stating that they indeed have a characteristic sound. You must like it, he doesn't, and frankly nor do I anymore.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6871

Only one person I have run across who gets so worked up everytime I mention the name Klipsch. Really, sir, cut the "anonymous" crap, get some stones, sign in and stop being such a pain. Or, go listen to your horns and stop bashing people just because you hate it when I'm right.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 394
Jan, you can bet it isn't me if that is who you are thinking of. I admit that I "like" them, and have reccomended them to a few people, but no longer own them.

like is more of a love-hate. I have to be in a certain mood for them.

Bronze Member
Username: Petro

Post Number: 12
What is the best set up for 2 pairs of floorstanding speakers to be used interchangebly?
I am sitting 12 ft away from center. My paradigm monitor 7 are spaced 9.5 ft apart. Where do I put my B&W 603 speakers? ie. how far apart should the L paradigm be from the L B&W etc. Should the paradigms and B&W be at the same line level? again, these will be used interchangebly as stereo speakers. Greed does'nt help but I got the B&W as a gift and I hate to part with the paradigms.. Thanks for your help

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I apologize for intruding on the boomy klipsch. I should have started a new thread. But..if you can help Jan?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6872

The best answer I can give will sound quite rude, but here goes. Since the idea of using two sets of speakers interchangeably is not a common occurrence, there are no set rules for how to place two pairs of speakers in the room simultaneously. As a matter of fact, many manufacturers will suggest no other speakers in the room along with the main pair. 9.5 feet apart is pushing the limit on most speakers to achieve a decent soundstage, so I would suggest you move the Paradigms in toward the center a bit and then place the B&W's wherever you prefer. I don't think there is a better answer other than place the speakers on opposite sides of the room.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 396
Jan,

Aren't the 603 supposed to be better than the Paradigm just out of curiosity?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6873

Gavin - No, I didn't suspect you. There is a former(?) member who always has serious conniption fits whenever I say anything about Klipsch. He uses K'horns and Cornwalls and for some reason thinks I have a grudge against Klispch. I have assured him I have nothing against Klipsch or him (though the Cornwalls are horrible speakers in my opinion) and, to prove the former, as far as I know I still have the highest number of Klispch LaScala's sold in one day in the SouthWest territory. The LaScala uses the same components as the K'horn but he feels I unfairly single out the horn as an evil device. He believes the K'horn (and really all Klipsch products) to be the perfect speaker and any comment I make that suggests otherwise (such as a K'horn does not image well) sends him through the roof. He snuck out of the forum a while back (when he challenged one of my answers and then did not provide any further proof of his opinion when I asked for an explanation) and has been watching from the sidelines since. He obviously feels that by cowardly choosing to post as "anonymous", he can say things that he wouldn't have the courage to say with his name attached. I don't know what this person's problems are; but you can see the results above.

And, there's always the chance I'm wrong about who is such a low life that they will attack someone while hiding behind an "anonymous" facade. Either way, this person really should have the where with all to either post with a name or bring up any points of discussion in a civilized fashion and not as a five year old would do.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Jan, thanks for your "rude"answer. I somehow get a decent soundstage with the paradigms even at 9.5 ft distance apart. I cannot put the B&W at the opposit side of the room (my listening chair does not swivel). I will try placing them each 1 foot inward from the paradigm at the same line level (they will be thus 7.5 ft apart). I am just worried that the imposing paradigms flanking them will affect the sound. I will let you know the result. Thanks again.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 402
oh yeah...I remember that. It was a while ago if I remember.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6875

Alas, character assassination is what this forum accomplishes with consistent precision.

How painfully sad it is that a simple word such as "alas" can be twisted into a character flaw. That is truly searching for something despicable to say other than to provide facts which would support a rebuttal to what I have posted. If you cannot refute the facts, attack the messenger. The more outrageous the attack, the more it must be true. Appeal to the most base intellect against the "elite" truth sayer. A strategy of debate such as that is worthy of only the weakest opponents and is ultimately doomed to failure since it is based on falsehoods.

Anon (please, stop cowering), give us facts which suggest my claims are incorrect or else leave with your tail between your legs once again.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 692
Jan, alas, I was suckered into the Anon'abyss' all too well.
I never claimed to be of above average intelligence, and my temporary chemical imbalance aside, abhor the Anon phenom.

I for one, am ignoring the Anonymous postings forthwith.
I followed them this morning, with abysmal results.

Shall I put forth a motion to fully ignore ALL posts from Anonymous forthwith?

All in favor?

Bronze Member

Exmore, Virginia USA

Post Number: 47
May we continue to use an alias? (just kidding, Nuck!) Whomever this current anon is, he is quite the hemmorhoid. I agree whole heartedly.

Anonymous

"Shall I put forth a motion to fully ignore ALL posts from Anonymous forthwith?"

that sounds like a good idea.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1462
Missed this thread (from the sidelines). I was in Montreal for the climate change conference.

Mr Vigne, you didn't name me but please stop your nonsensical exagation of my claims. I never said they are the perfect speaker, but you have yet to understand that you can't prove a negative.

Don't bother answering. I probably won't read it. only browse the forum once a week or so anyway. I have moved on to another forum.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6896

Hooray!

That was meant in a nonsensical way, of course.

Kram
Unregistered guest
Sorry guys for not replying before now, I've had time, but I've juse been lazy :-( . I am impressed with these Klipsch speakers, they sound very big and powerfull. My ma is also a member of DMAS, and she gives a couple lectures up there once in a while, and they(the speakers) make her quite voice sound muddy and not very clear. I think the problem is that they are too close to the wall, as they have rear firing bass ports. What I have heard is that rear ported speakers need to be a good distance from the wall, but these are only a few inches away. Would it help any to maybe add some acoustic dampening material behind the speaker? This would defeat the purpose of haveing a bass port, but would it decrease the problem?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7037

"Is it just me or are certain Klipsch speakers muddy sounding?"

"I am impressed with these Klipsch speakers, they sound very big and powerfull."

Well, you have me confused as to what you think of these speakers, Kram. Vocal reproduction should not involve the frequencies which exit the port. Note, I said, "should not". How much midrange energy is actually exiting the port could account for some muddiness; however, the more probable reason would be the acoustics of the space and how the speaker's midrange (horn?) driver works into that space. In a sound reinforcement application such as you describe some reasonable amount of system EQ is probably the better choice along with more appropriate speaker placement. Damping material placed behind the speaker will not negate the "purpose" of a bass reflex port since the purpose of the port is to extend the bass response and increase the efficiency of the speaker system. It is better to deal with the problems of the port in the design of the speaker and not after it is put into use. The damping material could make matters worse as often it is best to let the signal bounce quickly and join the front firing driver more or less in phase. Depending on the size of the space and where you sit to listen to the presentation, the problem could be a matter of delay times between the presenter's voice and the sound reinforcement system's output not synching at your ears. All in all, putting damping material behind the speaker would not be my first choice. But, I've not seen the space nor heard the problem so I can't do too much other than guess at possibilities.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 870
Agreeing with your post, Jan, but a kick-butt bass bin with horns does have its particular merits, now and then.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7044

Yes, it does. The problem is then mating that kick-butt bass bin to the rest of the frequencies. That's where the first problem arises.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us