Nad C162/C272 - static noise

Bonzo
Unregistered guest
I've had my NAD C162/C272 combo for about 3 months (+ NAD C542 CD player & B&W 603 S3 speakers). I'm really happy with the sound from this set-up. It's only in the last few weeks or so that I've noticed a very low level static crackling with intermittent pops audible from about a foot away (coming from both speakers). This is only noticeable with no signal coming through and isn't volume dependent. I've tried disconnecting the pre-amp from the power-amp and the noise is still there so I assume it must be the power amp. Is this normal? Any suggestions as to what might be causing this?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6830

There would appear to be some quality control issues with NAD at the moment. I would suggest contacting your dealer.

Bronze Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 35
The first review I read on this combo was May '04 and this is only the second issue I have read about; the other is here on the 'Amps' thread also:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/176702.html

I have recently purchased the same combo and am loving it. No issues at all as yet (fingers crossed)! A couple of years back, I was interested in a Nad surround receiver, but there seemed to be too many QC issues with those and I bought a Marantz. Problems with NAD's 2 channel gear seem very rare. I hope your problem is minor and that NAD attends to it poste haste. Please let us know the outcome.

Bonzo
Unregistered guest
I've contacted my local NAD service centre (via email). As soon as I find out anything I'll post results/outcome.

Bronze Member

Australia

Post Number: 40
Thanks. Good luck!

Bronze Member
Username: Bcollins

Rockport, MA United States

Post Number: 21
Hello Bonzo,
I had the exact same problem with my C272/C162 combo. I ran them stacked and found that if I lifted the pre-amp up a few inches and moved it in various directions I could get the static to go away. It would come back however when I returned the pre-amp to it's original position. I ended up returning both units. I'm not sure if I will purchase replacements at this time. I might wait for a different production run or purchase something different. I don't want to risk having the problem occur after the 30 day return period and then be stuck with sending it out for repair. Good luck with your set, I really liked the sound but was disappointed with the quality control.
Bill

Bonzo
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the reply's,
I don't have them stacked on top of each other but side by side and nothing else on top of either of the boxes, so they get plenty of ventilation. I'm starting to wonder whether I'm just being overly fussy about this. I have to stress that the noise is very low level and I only notice it late at night when there is no background noise and no sound running through the speakers. The static crackling/hiss is only audible when I have my ear close to the tweeters (i.e. ~ few inches away).Whereas the intermittent static pops can sometimes be heard from my listening position (again stressing, only when there is no background noise (say late at night) and no audio signal coming through). Is this normal acceptable noise for components in this price range? Am I being too fussy about this? I should say again that I really love the sound of this combo.
And no reply as yet from my emails to my local NAD service centre about this issue. Looks like I'll have to get them on the phone.
Bonzo

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Hello Bonzo,
You are not being overly fussy! There should not be any static or popping. My system worked silently for about two weeks before the static sound began. And as I said before, I could make it go away and return depending on the postion of the amp and pre-amp in relation to each other. It did not do this when new. I contacted NAD and they said it was definately not supposed to make those sounds and that it must be a defect of some sort. They recommended that I return the combo, which I did. If it is too late to return your set to the dealer, you might want to send it in for repair while still under waranty. I agree that it produces a nice sound, but there is no reason you should have to put up with static and popping. Those sounds are clearly an indication of a problem with either the pre-amp or amp. It is possible that the problem will worsen , or it may stay the same. Any sound like that will affect the quality of the sound of you music-if only a little bit. I assume you purchased this set because you prefer a suppirior quality of sound in you listening. Given the cost of these separates, you deserve to have them work properly. Best of luck,
Bill

Bronze Member

Australia

Post Number: 56
Bill,

The instructions say to keep components away from heat sources. If you had them stacked, could it be possible that you did some damage because of the heat rising from the power amp?

After two weeks of running okay, this seems like a possible explanation.

Still no issues with my combo (knocking on wood).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Hello My Rantz,
That could very well be the case. However, NAD told me that it should not cause a problem. Also, at the various dealers where I auditioned the NAD's they also had them stacked but denied ever hearing of such a problem. Strange indeed. I still believe it could have caused it though. Bonzo states that he had the same problem but did not have his units stacked. I'm not sure what to make of it. I sincerely hope that your units continue to satisfy, as it is a mighty fine sound-smooooth! I may chance it and buy anonther set eventually. I'm presently looking at Musical fidelity A 3.5, Vincent SV-236 hybrid, Primaluna Prologue 2 (tube), Primare I 30. Have only auditioned the MF A 3.5 so far-more detailed/clear than NAD, but sibilance really prominant at high volumes. NAD has more impact/punch, paticularly in the low end. Have you heard any of these amps? Not easy to find in my area to listen to. Cheers,
Bill

Bonzo
Unregistered guest
Hi all,
I've had a suggestion that it might be power related (eg. external noise generated such as an electric motor/air-conditioning or
similar) and to try using a UPS (uninterruptible power supply).
I'm not familiar with what these are and what they do or how they work.
Any thoughts?

Bronze Member

Australia

Post Number: 60
Bill

Unfortunately I have not heard those amps. My area is the same - not much too much to audition.
Good luck with whatever you decide. Although, I think you are unlucky and that the NAD combo is hard to beat for the price.

Bonzo

I have heard of power conditioners and UPS's fixing many related problems, however, I'd want the option of a refund if trying one of these. Maybe you could borrow one to try. I hope you get it sorted. Have you tried moving the pre away from the power amp and/or any other component?

Bonzo
Unregistered guest
Hi My Rantz,
I've actually had the power amp completely disconnected from the pre amp and pre amp switched off (nothing connected to the power amp except speakers of course) - still getting the static.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 706
Then I suggest shielded speaker wire, if everything else is disconnected.
Ground the shield on the amp end, open on the other.

Bronze Member
Username: Musicluvr

Post Number: 26
Bonzo,

This may sound stupid, and you may have already ruled these out, but at least eliminate the things that won't cost anything to check. Since your problem is not volume dependent, and you seem to have eliminated all but the amp, speakers, and speaker cables, check the binding posts on both your amp and speakers. If your speakers are bi-wireable but have jumpers between the binding posts, check those connections also. Check the speaker cable terminations for corrosion or a loose connection to any banana plugs or spades. If you have a spare set of speaker cables see if swapping the cables makes the problem go away. Clean all of the connections with alcohol even if they look clean. Try lifting the cables off the floor if they run across carpet. Use some Caig ProGold contact enhancer on the connections. This last suggestion costs a few dollars but I think it is usually worth it in the long run.

Good Luck

Bonzo
Unregistered guest
Hi ctanaka,
Thanks for the suggestions. In fact I haven't thought to check any of those things yet so it's not stupid at all. Also it won't be anywhere near as expensive as trying a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) - I was told a proper one here (Sydney, Australia) is supposed to cost around about $1000! Ouch! So I'll give those suggestions a go before I even think about a UPS.
Thanks again.

Bronze Member

Australia

Post Number: 85
Bonzo

Ctanaka makes good suggestions but having checked those I believe you need to contact your dealer and demand to get it fixed or replaced under warranty. Personally, I would not stand for anything less than 100% satisfaction. My C162/C272 combo is still fine, I use B&W 602S3's with both a Denon 2900, Marantz CC4300 and use the power amp to drive the front mains (same speakers) in my HT set up. All in all, the gear has been well used in the few weeks I have had it.

Yours doesn't sound like a power supply problem but it might pay to run it with most household appliences, lights etc turned off to see if it makes any difference. Does it become problematic at different times of the day or is it constant?

My reaction would be to contact your dealer and don't stand for anything less than a promp fix or replacement. It's a lot of money and it's your money.

Cheers.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 752
Bill, do you live near a transformer station, or do you have ant high transmission lines running nearby?

As well, have you had an electrician check your ground circuit?(or yourself).

The common ground should be bonded to the copper pipe leading into your home.

Maybe get a megger to test your ground, uncommon, but I did see it once.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Hi Nuck,
Sorry to take so long to reply. I don't live near a transformer station or have high transmission lines nearby. (Thank goodness!) I have also checked the ground. All is in order. I do have appliances that I initially suspected but it turns out that they were not causing the problem. Also, since I was able to duplicate the problem at my dealer's store I am convinced that the problem was with one of the components. I have since returned both units and am waiting for the next shipment to repurchase the C162/C272 combo again.
Cheers,
Bill

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 882
Well good for you, Bill.
I hope your dealer experience works well for you.
Do let us know!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us