New Arcam 7607 Amp - Very Interesting

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 712
Well all,

I finally got around to putting the new amp into my HT system. I'm using the Denon 3803 as a pre/pro for now.

It's a different sound right out of the box. I can't wait to break this puppy in and see how the sound changes.

With only the Denon 3803 receiver and the Ascends playing music, it tended towards the "bright" side with the mids very clear and the treble at times tending just a bit towards listener fatigue.

Moreover, whenever I pushed the Denon, the speakers tended to be a little less analytical or neutral and they could get brighter still.
For some music such as jazz, it really wasn't much of a problem as the bass, piano and voices were fairly clear and distinct so that listening was a pleasure. For example, Diana Krall, Norah Jones and older Count Basie stuff sounded very good. Orchestral pieces were generally pretty good but some horns and strings were difficult and even fatiguing at times. Depending on the rock, it could sound pretty good or almost hurt the ears, depending upon the sound level.

Enter the Arcam and its 125 wpc of solid sound. The sound is warmer and the voicing on the center channel is clearer still. Moreover, there is a much clearer separation of the woofer and tweeter, tough to explain and sounds like it could be a bad thing but it's not; it's like someone removed a layer of something that was laying over the speaker components, not really a muffled sound but like the speakers were not being pushed just right? Now, it just sounds like the instruments are presented more distinctly and clearly without any strain or listener fatigue. French horns and clarinets suddenly sound like WOW!! However, some drums sound like they may be more muffled than with the Denon and I'm hoping that it's just a break-in issue and this will clear up because everything else sounds so much better.

This is an easier system to listen to music on now, especially the more involving or busy rock, orchestra and chorale arrangements.

The other very noticeable thing is volume. I can crank the Arcam volume up, (no I'm not pushing it that hard while it's breaking in) and the music gets louder and clearer and doesn't break up. It's clear, clean and doesn't cause listener fatigue. So, is this what everybody is talking about when they say that a good amp provides "cleaner" sound?

Now, for the funny part, my wife asks me, do you really hear a $___) difference? LOL

I tried to explain but after being met with THAT STARE, I just told her "yes" and called it good. Anyone brave enough to take that one on?
Well, I will continue to play and experiment and I bought decent interconnects but not real expensive since this system will be primarily HT. I'll spring for some decent connections for the 2 channel system WHEN AND IF if ever arrives.

Silver Member

Post Number: 742
An update on the new amp in my HT system.

Well, since the tube amp and reconed Altec Lansings have not arrived yet, I continue to experiment with the HT system's sound and the Arcam amp.

First, the Arcam has over 40 hours on it now and I left it running some early on to get it broken in. I've finally gotten a 12v trigger now so it turns on and off with the Denon (used as a pre/pro) and it appears to have broken in and I've noticed some interesting changes in the music and definition, especially the bass.

I can crank the amp up to its limit now and it's loud but never painful to listen. The music is smoother, the bass muddiness that I was worried about early on has cleared up and kettle drums, bass drums and acoustic guitar and piano now sound incredible and real. There is "resonance" now in spades that was missing with the Denon so a struck key or drum resonates and guitar string plunked can be clearly discerned and the resonance (echo, vibration, whatever you want to call it) sounds like it should in real life. (I think I described this as "real" and "integrity" in the music in "DYL".

The Denon with the Ascend 170s gave you the original sound and some resonance but it wasn't exactly live music. Now, it's ever much so better.

The Arcam amp has given the Ascends a new and better voice. These speakers are more detailed, crisp and clear.

In addition, volume is not hindrance to clarity, like it was with the Denon. I had a friend over last night and his favorite classical piece is the Firebird Suite. He asked me to crank it up after the first 30 seconds because he had never heard some of introductory instrumentation - he listens only in his car or on an Ipod and I didn't have the heart to tell him that even my old system would have voiced instruments he's never heard. BUT, his mouth dropped as I continued to crank up the volume until we maxed the amp out.

The music never clipped, never muddied and just continued to come through clear, clean and neutral. WOW! His comment, I guess it's time that I become an "audiophile.' I tried to explain that my system is still in the low-fi realm, possibly low mid-fi realm - and he hasn't heard real "audiophile" equipment and speakers. (Given that he's a general surgeon and probably could afford it, I probably shouldn't tease him at all as his lovely wife will not be pleased, I'm certain."

The Denon made a huge difference in turning my old HT system into something better, more dynamic and fun to watch and listen to with movies especially. Also, it was better with music, no doubt, but not satisfying like this.

Now, if this were my only system, I could enjoy music in stereo or multi-channel and be satisfied with what's coming out. It doesn't play to crazy levels (well until the brass and drums kick or you play heavy metal or old time Rock, then it's plenty loud) and I wonder sometime what the Arcam 200 wpc amp would do - I know Jan another few dbs or so - but it now plays so incredibly pure through the volume range that you can listen at any volume level without listening fatigue. That's a huge improvement and worth the additional outlay on the amp in my opinion, although I suspect the jury's still out with my wife.

Also, there were some passages in the Firebird where tingles went down the spine because the music was so sweet and pure. Then, I put on Norah Jones for my daughter who is home from college and she sat quietly for 30 minutes listening and just said, "WOW!" She couldn't describe it, she just stated that it sounded really cool. So, at least one woman in my life gets it. LOL

Anyway, I now await delivery of the new, old vintage stereo set-up to see if there is complete audio nirvana to be found in a 2 channel system. Stay tuned, I am. Dave

Bronze Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 90
Excellent Dave. Glad to see your new toy is a worthwhile addition. I know I'm getting similar enjoyment from my NAD combo. It's very satisfying when things meet or go beyond one's expectations. Enjoy!

Silver Member

Post Number: 746
Rantz,

I'm still waiting for the update on how the new NADs are doing for you and how they're changing your sound. Let's hear it. Thanks, Dave

Bronze Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 92
All I can say for now Dave, is Go NADs

:-)

I will update my thoughts soon though.

Cheers

MR

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1092
Hang on - do you mean ADCOM 7607? I don't know of an Arcam 7607 amp...

regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Post Number: 748
Frank,

Nice catch. Yes, I meant Adcom GFA-7607. (I really should look at the faceplace on occasion, no.) But, I do have a nice Arcam DIVA CDP waiting to be put to good use. LOL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us