Yamaha AV-35 Problem

YaaaaaMaaaaaHaaaaa
Unregistered guest
I just got a Yamaha AV-35 free. It doesn't work, no output from front or rear speakers. No output from headphones. Is there a common problem on these that causes this? I checked the fuses. The relay is clicking when I turn the unit on (as it should).

Bronze Member
Username: Audiowizard69

Post Number: 44
its pretty much hopeless unless u take it to an expert

YaaaaaMaaaaaHaaaaa
Unregistered guest
Well.....I am pretty darn good. I would need to go buy the service manual and trace the signal through the amp. I was trying to avoid buying the service manual and hoping that maybe it was a common problem with the amp. My first though would be output transistors but the headphones don't work so that leads me to believe it's in the preamp area. I just hope it's not multiple problems. Have you worked on these? Do you know of common problems in the preamp area or common problems with stuff coming lose?

YaaaaaMaaaaaHaaaaa
Unregistered guest
I meant to say "stuff coming loose"

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 759
well, if you are 'pretty good', you wouldnt be here, now would you?

Check for a shorted primary cap.

YaaaaaMaaaaaHaaaaa
Unregistered guest
Wouldn't a shorted primary cap blow a fuse or blow up? I have no blown fuses or paper shreds in my amp. I checked them anyway and they are good. The amp (as you probably already know) has seperate power supplies for the preamp and the main amp. I checked all four capacitors. (Or possibly I don't know what a primary cap is and checked the wrong thing.)

Yea, I'm pretty good. Let's see how good you are in diagnosing this amp and I'll improve my skills in testing and replacing parts!

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 761
Yaaaa, that earlier comment really looked poor, it sounded funnier here when I said it, but looks lame. Sorry.
A shorted cap maight prevent the power stages from energizing for protection.
As well the unit may have a thermal overoload in the case, search for one of those, maybe?

YaaaaaMaaaaaHaaaaa
Unregistered guest
No big deal. I post on www.craigslist.org
in the automotive forum quite a bit. It's all just fun.
I couldn't find any thermal protection. I pulled one of the output transistors and it's bad...so there you go. But why don't the headphones work? Weird design?

YaaaaaMaaaaaHaaaaa = Yamaha with 5 "a"s

YaaaaaMaaaaaHaaaaa
Unregistered guest
AAAAARRRRRRGGGG! It turns out the output transistors are actually good. Now I'm back to square one.

Unregistered guest
Hey there,
look on the back of the unit and see if there's anything in the "accessory in" and the "accessory out" rca plugs. I had the same issue, and it turns out there's supposed to be a connector bridging "out" to "in". It's there in case you want to hook the unit up to a graphic equalizer unit. Mine had no bridge, so I just took a red and black rca cable and connected it with that. voila, sound, at last!

Hopefully your problem's that simple.

Yamaha has scanned copies of the instruction manual on its site.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us