$1500 speakers - stalled decision

Username: Earic

New York, NY

Post Number: 2
I'm looking to strike a balance between budget and making the best decision given the current equpipment I have. My receiver is a Denon 2805. I've auditioned JM Lab Electra and Chorus 700 series, Vienna Acoustic Haydn, Dynaudio bm6a Active Monitors and am, after some research, considering the Ascent 170s. So far, the JM Lab Electras have won out. Oh, and my wife wants them to look nice, too. Help, please!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2389
"my wife wants them to look nice, too."

That leaves out the Ascends. The JM Lab speakers sound very good to my ears and if as you say they "have won out" to you then that's what's important. I could suggest alot of different speakers but I don't think that any of them are any better than the ones you are looking at, just different. The Denon/JM Lab combo should give you good performance for movies and music.

Bronze Member
Username: 2morex

Exmore, Virginia USA

Post Number: 41
I don't not know whether you can audition them locally but the Ruarks have fine cabinetry and not too shabby sound, either. Prelude or Etude, you'll like what you hear. WAF and all that "stuff".

Username: Earic

New York, NY

Post Number: 3
Thanks Art. What do you know about using active monitors for home listening?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3246
> That leaves out the Ascends.

Actually those are the Ascend 170s that are very clunky/boxy looking.

The 340s look fine (certainly not gorgeous of course), especially when paired with sleeker stands like these:

http://www.wood-tech.com/product.php?cat=ss&series=mu

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2391
Eric, active monitors can be very good. Imagine a speaker paired with an amp designed and built with the needs of that specific speaker in mind.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 715
If his wife wants pretty, why did no one at least suggest he take a look at Tim's Emma's or Tim's other options?

My wife loved the cabinets and I liked what came out of them. There's a win-win, even if I did keep the Ascend 170s!!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2393
I've never heard Tim's Lings (or other options)as they are not available at a retailer here. There are plenty of pretty speakers that I have heard and can comment on.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 719
LOL, thanks Art, I needed that.

Pretty is as pretty does, or something like that.

Bronze Member
Username: Rikmeister

Hometown, Pa Usa

Post Number: 46
well the quads should be added and rockets should be too and swans and then finally add dali. best to listen to them and take the other half with you.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3266
> If his wife wants pretty, why did no one at least suggest he take a look at Tim's Emma's or Tim's other options?

I have not heard any of Tim's other speakers, but as much I loved the Lings for certain things, I would recommend them only for those who are doing a music-only setup, who are specifically asking for a "warm" sound with an emphasis on emotional involvement rather than detail/imaging, and who are primarily moderate- to low-volume listeners.

The Ascends lack the Lings' indescribable and priceless magic with specific types of music and listening levels...but IMO have a far wider potential appeal for those wanting to have one multipurpose system.

Of course, I have not heard the Lings on my Panny yet, it might be a totally different story. Am currently auditioning a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 8.2s on my bedroom NAD setup and while they do sound much better than they did on my friend's crappy Pioneer 415, I often found myself missing the Panny's perfect clarity and control.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1315
The Epos M12.2s,I dont think anything can touch them for under $2000,and great build,with great wife acceptance to.All the choice that have been mentioned are all fine choices,its hard for you to go wrong,you just have to know kind of sound you like,and make a choice.

annon
Unregistered guest
Have you listened to Proac?They would be worth cheking out

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 391
the MartinLogan Montage!

Roughly $1500, with a planar tweeer, and two 6.5 inch woofers. These things throw a huge soundstage that is both wide AND deep. I think you would be hard pressed to find a speaker that can image better than these for the price.

As a sidenote, MartinLogan had the Denon reciever line in mind when they designed the Montage and Mosaic (next model up)

Check it out! There is a picture of it on the website. It comes in both a cherry veneer, and basic black.

http://www.martinlogan.com/montage_speaker.html

here is a review of the speaker:

http://www.avrev.com/equip/martinloganmontage/index.html

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1319
I would put the M12.2s against the MLs in imaging or any other area,without hessitation and come out victorious.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 788
Totem may be another company to look into. However, I've heard that Denons have trouble keeping up with 4 ohm speakers. I don't have any first hand experience with this, so I'll leave that up to our esteemed cohorts to confirm/deny.

Another company that has great looking and even better sounding speakers is Sonus Faber. $1500 may be their entry level, but I'm not too sure.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 302
The Epos 12.2s sound like the right choice to me.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 789
A couple more to throw in there -

From DMC Electronics - https://dmc-electronics.com/Default.htm -

PSB Stratus Silver i - $1500 (A-Stock)
PSB Stratus Mini - $$800 (Factory Blemish)
PSB Platinium M2 - $1200 (Factory Blemish)

The Platinium and Stratus Mini are monitors. The Stratus Silver i is a floorstander. The Platinium Mini is probably the best of the 3, but I'm a tower guy, so I'd go with the Stratus Silvers if I had $1500 to spend.

Again, they are 4 ohm.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 304
Monitor Audio Closeouts @ Saturday Audio
http://saturdayaudio.com/

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 636
The silver i is barely different than the standard stratus(from psb).
The Denon will not run the psb's, I tried.

Monitors sound a bit more appropriate for quality in that price range from Totem or PSB or Paradigm(the bigger Canadian products).

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 208
Yes. My Denon receiever would have trouble with 4 ohm speakers I can say for sure. My Sugden would not.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 641
Right you are, Marc.
So any leads so far?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us