Subwoofer Feedback

EMR phx
Unregistered guest
For some reason my subwoofer receives a faint radio station when plugged into my receiver. Any thoughts or quick fixes? I appreciate the help.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6771

How do you have the sub connected? Speaker level or LFE output? Does the radio station correspond to the station your receiver's tuner is tuned to?

Erik phx
Unregistered guest
The sub is connected via the LFE output on the receiver to the sub with a y-splitter. It is also not the same radio station that the receiver is tuned to. The receiver doesn't even have to be on for the sub to "tune" the radio station.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 660
I assume it's a "local" radio station. Something's acting like an antenna.
What kind of shape is your coax in? Got good connectors? Nothing loose or frayed?

Erik phx
Unregistered guest
Everything is less than 6 months old, good quality stuff. I am just curious if there is a quick fix. It isn't all that noticable and is easily drowned out but obviously I would prefer not to have any interference at all.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6786

The tuner in your receiver is, in most receivers, always "tuning" whether you have switched to the tuner input or not. Since it has no apparent relationship to the on board tuner's frequency setting, Tim is correct that there is something acting as an antenna.

The first place to look is the connection between the receiver and the sub. And, my first guess is you have a directional interconnect with the shield lifted at the wrong end. Or, an interconnect which requires the shield be lifted at the source end and it is not. I would begin your search by unplugging the subwoofer interconnect at the subwoofer. (Turn off the sub before you unplug the cable to avoid any thumps and power it back up when you have the cable connected.) With no interconnect going into the sub to act as an antenna, is there still a signal? If not, disconnect the interconnect at the receiver end and then plug it into the sub only in the direction you have been running the cable. Any noise? If not, try reversing the direction of the cable end for end and let us know whether that solves the problem. If it doesn't, the next step is a bit of work, so keep your fingers crossed.

If none of that helps the situation, we would appreciate some model numbers and the type of cable you are using between the receiver and the sub.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6790

Sorry, I typed that response a bit too faast. Try this instead, "Turn off the sub before you unplug the cable to avoid any thumps and power it back up when you have the cable disconnected."

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6791

Oh, Lord! The alchohol has got me again. "Faast"? I'm not even going to try to correct anything else tonight.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us