Speaker for Denon AVR - 3805

Username: Tryst

Post Number: 2
I recently got the 3805 and its way ahead than my old Onkyo.I am using my earlier speaker setup of Tannoy Mercury speakers and a Velodyne sub.The channel separation is stunning but tyat mellow felling of Tannoy has all but gone.I would like an advice for the ideal speakers with 3805.Needless to say i dislike very bright reproduction of sound.

tryst

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 386
what you are possibly hearing is the detail that your old onkyo was covering up...

How old was your old onkyo?

Give it a little while longer, and you might grow to like the extra detail.

IMHO, that particular combination isnt too bright, its just that you are used to or like very dull sound.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1065
Tannoy Mercury speakers are actually a bit on the bright side. It may be that your previous amplification was somewhat soft in the treble and the Denon is giving you the full range that it can so ably do. Among the many other brands that will be thrown at you, you may wish to consider:

Focal JmLab's Chorus range

B&W's 600 series

Totem's Dreamcatcher system or better

M&K's K-series or better (M&K are awesome for surround sound, possibly the best)

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 709
I guess I'd start with what do you want them for, i.e., surround sound HT or 2 channel or 2.1 channel music? How large is the room? What's your music preference? I've got a 3803 so it's very similar to your 3805 and it's a great HT receiver, not as musical as I'd like though.

Tim's Lings, Rosas and Emmas are all speakers I would consider in the range that Frank is recommending and Tim will probably let you listen to a pair or two if you ask nicely and you're somewhere within the U.S.

I'd recommend the Paradigm Studio series, especially if you're more into music than HT as something else to consider and the Ascend 170s if you're mostly into HT, but you'll need a good sub and they may be more neutral than you like, since it sounds like you may want a warmer sound than the Ascends, which is right up Tim's alley.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 387
I myself like Paradigms as well, but the Studio series really requires seperates to perform their best IMHO.

Bronze Member
Username: Rikmeister

Hometown, Pa Usa

Post Number: 45
dali and quad are good with denon. if you want cheaper do not internet sales look at onix and swan.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 188
I think Paradigm, PSB, Energy, and Focal JMLabs would all be good choices. Haven't had the pleasure of Tim's speakers yet, but I imagine from the reviews on here they'd be good choices as well. I'm not as high on the B&W's as Mr Abela, but YMMV. Personally I'm partial to Energy, and have found the C5s mate VERY well with a Denon 3802/1082. The good thing about them is that you should be able to get a pair on closeout, as they've just been replaced.

Username: Tryst

Post Number: 3
Thanks for your opinions.I have a Velodyne VX-10 sub to supplement my speakers.I would prefer the speakers like B&W, or QUAD.Please suggest on the series i should opt for.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 388
Quad are absoluly stunning speakers. However, there are a few people on here that RAVE about Epos speakers (never heard, but supposedly BLOW everything away in respected price points).

Bronze Member
Username: Rikmeister

Hometown, Pa Usa

Post Number: 47
well if you have a sub then go for the 21L . I would also look at totem too. look on audiogon or audioweb. you could save a bundle buying demos or used.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us