Hiding speaker wire

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 450
whats the best way to hide the speaker wire going from the receiver to the rear speakers? I am a college student and will likely have a few roudy friends over so i would prefere to not have the wire in open areas (i wouldnt be happy seeing a speaker fly b/c someone tripped on the wire). I assume most of you guide the wire under your carpet or run the wire around the room on the edges? What do you recommend

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 515
A length of angle iron over the wire, painted yellow, and police style caution tape at critical points

Bronze Member
Username: 2morex

Exmore, Virginia USA

Post Number: 23
Nuck is back!

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 518
and the tests were negative! woo hoo!
Life is good again!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6749

They found nothing? Whoohoo! I win!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6750

Under the carpet works well.

Silver Member
Username: Fps_dean

Williamstown, MA USA

Post Number: 160
Under the floor across the ceiling of the person below you and up again. You can do it :-)

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 451
not sure about that im sure the stoners below me will find a way to hollow the wire out, fill it, and smoke it. how hard is it to guide speaker wire under carpet-if i have to cut holes anywhere my landlord could think differently.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6762

If it's wall to wall carpeting, it's not easy and I wouldn't recommend the attempt. Run the wire along the baseboard.

Silver Member
Username: Shantao

Homewood, IL USA

Post Number: 131
db;
another option you might consider is external conduit. Not the metal stuff they use in schools, etc., but the inexpensive plastic kind that is applied with foam tape. You apply it at the bottom of the trim/baseboard. The wire just slides into it. It offers a bit of protection for the wire and keeps it out of the way.

These come in a beige color, 8 foot lengths, with foam tape on the back. You can get connectors to connect the pieces, go around or inside corners, and can even terminate the run into an electrical box where you can install the wire to a wall plate with binding posts.

The advantage here is that since this is an apartment in college, this material is temporary and can be removed relatively easily without damage. You can get this stuff at any big box hardware store (Menard's, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.)

Have fun!

Bronze Member
Username: Patnshan

Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 18
I guess this depends in the type of carpet you have. If it has any bit of knap you can grab onto, get a pliers and go to on of the edges. Grab the knap and pull up. It should release from the tack strip around the outside. This will often reveal a space below the baseboard that wire can be slid into. Run the wire there and then push the carpet back onto the tack strip.

Pat
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us