Help: Volume levels between DVD, CD, Cable

Username: Krauhala

Solana Beach, CA USA

Post Number: 1
Switching between different modes (i.e. CD, TV, DVD) on the AVR receiver - i guess the input volume levels are VERY different and cause an issue (burst my eardrums if I forgeot to change the volume level).

Any way of 'leveling' the volume levels??

I'm using optical input from DVD, and analog inputs from CD and Cable Box. All though Denon 2802 AVR.

Anyone experience a similar problem??

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6740

I will assume the "burst" of volume is from the TV input since the CD and DVD should be outputting roughly the same voltage. If this is the case, it would normally indicate you have not set the output of the TV/cable box to "fixed level" and the volume is being controlled by the volume setting of the TV/cable box. Use the Set Up menu to switch to "fixed level" instead of "variable level". This should solve the problem, or at least minimize the inequalities between inputs.

If, for some reason, this is not the input you're having trouble with, please provide some more information.

Username: Krauhala

Solana Beach, CA USA

Post Number: 3
Thanks. The Cable box output is cranked up but still abit quiet vs. tce CD player.
But I really have a problem with DVD player and CD player audio outputs. They are not even close. I also don;t seem to have ways to control the CD player's audio output level. Same with the DVD player. I use DVD Audio output via Optical cable. CD audio output is RCA cables.

I was hoping to adjust the levels on the Denon Amp AVR-2802 (somehow calibrate this manually?), but not sure how to do this??

Any ideas??

Cheers,
Kristian

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6743

To my knowledge, which does not include the specifics of the Denon, there is no way to adjust the input sensitivity of the individual inputs on your receiver as it sits.

Here are the steps I would take. First check your owner's manual specifications page for the Denon to find the input sensitivuty of the line level inputs you are using. If one is higher or lower than the others, this could be your problem. Ignore phono inputs if your receiver has any, these will always be lower and cannot accept a line level input.

Look in the owner's manual for both players to find the output voltage. I would assume it to be approximately 2 volts. Unless one of the two players is substantially higher or lower than that number, they should be outputting approximately the same levels when playing the same disc. Use a CD in both players to check that this is correct. If both players are roughly the same level with the same source disc, and the problem is only when you go between the CD and a DVD video, there is not much that can be done easily other than remember to adjust the volume. If the problem shows up on the same disc in the two players and they are supposedly outputting the same voltage, there could be a problem in the receiver. If it is under warranty, I would have it repaired. If none of the above situations describe your problem, the next step is to pad down the inputs of the receiver. The best way to do this will require a technician and some resistors. Check around at a service shop to find a technician willing to solder resistors in place to load down the inputs. An alternative would be to use something like these attentuators on the outputs of your players:

http://www.hlabs.com/technical/crossovers/

This is a more sensible choice over soldering resistors since these can easily be removed when you change equipment. Contact the manufacturer for more information on the attentuators.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us