Nad NAD C272 VS Rotel RB-1070

Username: Teigas

Post Number: 1
as topic states, i am currently on the lookout for a power amp for my future speakers
What i have:
Denon 2106
Svs 10" subwoofer
Thohiba mt 200 projector

BUYING next week

Front B&W 603 s3 http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.models/Label/Model%20DM6 03%20S3

Back B&W 602 s2 rack speekers
http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.models/Label/Model%20DM6 02%20S3

Center http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.models/Label/Model%20LCR 600%20S3

So as i have the denon 2106 reciver, i have been told that it is almost to week for the fronts.. So i am going to add a power amp also, so i can use the speekers 100%. The local shop recomended nad c272 , but i have also been looking at rotel rb-1070.

So my question is : Are there anybody out there who knows anything about these to? Both good and bad ? :P Wich one is the best buy? They cost almost the same.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6727

I'm not sure telling you the Denon is too "weak" for the speakers is correct or a good idea. And, before you rush out to spend more money, I would give a listen to the receiver and speakers together. I make this suggestion for no other reason than to establish a base line from which you can proceed. If, when you subsequently compare the Denon to the separate components, you realize a substantial, or, for that matter, inconsequential improvement, you will know why you spent your money and what you achieved by doing so.

None of that is to say I do not suggest you will probably find better performance from the separate components. However, I have neither your ears nor your taste in listening. Before you address a change you should know what you already possess and in what direction you would like to take that sound. Many people find a receiver a very acceptable component while others find little value in the idea of placing all those components in the same box.

The NAD and Rotel are both very good components with somewhat polar personalities. Much has been written about the the sound of both company's components. You can find some good assessments of what to expect from both by reading the editorial and consumer reviews on the forum.

Beyond that information, I would suggest you have a clear vision of what is important to you in reproducing music in your home and then apply that knowledge to the component choice. And, of course, do not make a purchase without hearing the components in your home with your own music and equipment.

Post Number: 2
Ok , thx for the help so far. I have now spoken also spoken with other people. The feedback there states that nad and b&w speekers don`t is a good combination. They state that the sound is`nt any good. So maybe i will fall at the rotel, i have no chance to listen to them before i buy. BUt i can buy , try and if i am not happy i can return it within 15 days. So i am thinking about buying the rotel , and then try it.
http://europe.rotel.com/products/specs/rb1070.htm
But the next question that comes up is , will the rotel have enough power to run the b&w 603 s3 in a good and controlled way.?

Username: Hoanghai2k

Melbourne, VIC Australia

Post Number: 10
go for rotel. i got one last month. great for the B&W. easy set up and can go for mono .

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2330
Rotel and B&W are a good match but Jan is correct give the full system as it (or will be ) a good listen before proceeding with an amp.

You needn't worry the Rotel will drive the B&W's just fine. If I'm understanding you you are going to use the Rotel to drive the front 2 in a home theater. That will leave some reserve power for the receiver to drive the remaining speakers. It should sound good. Good luck.

Post Number: 3
i am also considering an reciver upgrade to denon 3805 , and sell the 2106 to a good mate with only a little los. Then let the denon 3805 run the whole system for a 6 months or so, then after that i am going to add some power amps? What do you think about that? Do the denon 3805 have enough power to run the whole system alone in a good way?

Post Number: 4
I have also got another offer , 2 vincent Mono Amplifier SP-997 for half the price. Then i can run the first on the first front speeker and the other on the other. What do you think about that? COmpared to denon upgrade or rotel?
http://www.vincent-tac.de/en/produkt/end/sp_997.php
And will they be strong enoughf?

Post Number: 5
http://www.vincent-tac.de/en/produkt/end/sp_996.php sorry posted wrong model info it is 996

Username: Nadz

Califonia

Post Number: 1
The person who told you NAD does not sound good with B&W is a complete idiot. Both will work equally well with only slight differences in sound.

Rotel being a bit punchier and forward. Not bright. Just a bit more forward.

Nad being a bit on the warmer side with a smoother tonal balance and the image being a bit farther back.

Bronze Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 27
I have to agree with Nadz. I have the C162/C272 NAD pre and power amp driving B&W 602S3's and the sound is detailed, smooth, maybe a tad on the warmer side and with superb imaging.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2334
Good analysis NADz. Before I would start putting spendy mono blocks in the system I would consider a good used pre/pro and multichannel power amp. Hi quality mono blocks will be mostly wasted on a Denon receiver. Also you may consider keeping your current receiver and buying the NAD C162/C272 or comparable Rotel pre and power and use your receiver as a source component. Here is how I do it.

"Use the AVR as yet another source component hooked up to the video or aux on your pre and to power the center and rears. Leave the AVR off completely when listening to 2 channel. I go from the L/R front pre outs on the AVR to the video in on my NAD C162 pre. The C162 pre has 2 sets of pre outs. I use 1 set to go to the power amp and the other to go to the sub so that I have use of the sub for both 2 channel and home theater. I have to set the pre amp volume control to a set mark when I calibrate the home theater and return it to that setting every time I listen to it. It's key to remember to turn it back down before returning to 2 channel use or you can blow your fronts. It's a bit of pain but well worth it to me for better 2 channel music performance."

My system is a little different now as I have a second sub and run it from the LFE on the AVR for movies only. I posted this some time ago and just copied and pasted.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us