Need help with a plate amp

Username: Davinci

Post Number: 1
I just started messing around in the home audio stuff. I had a JL Audio 15W3-D4 (duel 4's) that I made a box for. Now im looking for a good plate amp for it. I would like to have something that does 2 ohm. Every amp I have found is only rated at 4 or 8. Since I have a duel 4 ohm speaker I cant run my amp at 4 ohms right? NOt sure. Still kinda new to this stuff. Any help would be great

Post Number: 2
I also forgot to add that they are rated at 500w. WOuld like something around 400w

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6703

If the speaker is a dual voice coil, you have some latitude in the impedance you finally end up with. There is no erason to drive an amplifier at two Ohms when you can do so safely at a high impedance.

Where have you looked for plate amps?

Post Number: 3
the only place i have found any is at part express.com. I was going to get the 500w one but thats at 4 ohms

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6707

Why don't you begin by putting "plate amplifiers" into a search engine?

Username: Mfishmike

Post Number: 2
If you have a single driver with dual 4 ohm coils, wire the coils in series and that will give you an 8 ohm load, and the amps at Parts Express will work nicely for you. If you need a diagram, email me and I will draw one for you.
Mike
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us