B&O - Pair Of Rl140s, what amplifier shoud i buy?

beoproblem
Unregistered guest
Ok i know nothing about speakers and ampliefiers.
I received a pair of RL140s recently, and i was wondering what kinda of ampliefier should i be looking at buying? I have no clue where to start looking.

Ive been told these speakers need 100 wpc to bring them to life!

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6691

The RL140's do not "require" 100 watts. None of the B&O receivers from the same time period produced 100 watts. They will be quite happy with any amplifier over 25 watts that is of superior quality. That leaves out 99% of the receivers on the market. Look into an integrated amplifier or small separates to go with the B&O speakers. You've given no budget nor location for me to offer more advice. Go to the reveiw section of the forum and read about a few amplifiers that are available in your area for audition. Set your budget and go from there.

beoproblem
Unregistered guest
Ok, well i currently already have a receiver and i tried hooking up the speakers to that buy they hardly produced any sound. My receiver is a pioneer vsx-d512.

So basically if i put a poweramp/preamp (25 watts and above) between the speakers and the receiver that shoudl do the job?

Also my loction is Austrlia, and budget would be something between $500 and $1000. if i have to i can stretch it abit more.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6704

I have a hard time imagining the 140's "hardly produced any sound" from an reasonable quality receiver. Possibly you and I differ on what we consider adequate volume levels. I believe the 140 was spec'd in the upper 80dB sensitivity range which is quite average as speakers go. That should get most people sufficient volume with less than 100 watts.

Since it is quite possible you and I don't have similar requirements for sound, I would suggest you take your speakers with you to the shop and try them on whatever amplifier you prefer. I am totally unaware of the equipment you have to choose from in Australia, but any decent audio shop will let you try your speakers before you buy an amplifier.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us