Silverline Audio & Totem Acoustics

Bronze Member
Username: Raks

Post Number: 91
Hi,

I have this puzzling question when I look at the physicl shapes of the speakers from Silverline Audio and Totem Acoustics. They resemble each other very very closely. Silverline Audio has speakers (Sonata III, Sonatina III, Bolero, Reference 15 ) that very very closely resemble Totem Wind and Totem Model 1 Sign (or) it may be the other way. Did anyone compare these speakers ? I like Totems a lot and I am not familiar with Silverline Audio. Can you please throw some light on these resemblances and let me know whether these resemblances stop at the physical shape (or) they resemble in sound signature as well ?

Raks

Bronze Member
Username: Cmoore

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 14
My friend has a pair of Silverline Sonatas which are one heck of a nice sounding full range small speaker in a small room.
I have a preference for Dynaudio Drivers, so I went with 2 pair Totem Model 1 for side and rear, a pair of Mani2's for mains, and 2 Lightning Subs.
I have no desire to go to the movies anymore!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
cmoore,

Thanks for letting me know. You own Totems and your friend owns Silverline Sonatas. So I am assuming you might have compared these speakers. Can you please let me know your opinion and compare these Sonatas with Say Totem Model1 and Totem Mani2s.

Thanks
Raks

Anonymous

Raks... what difference does his opinion make? Why don't you listen to them and make your own decision. Speakers, more than anything else, are subjective. Wait.. I know... you don't know where you can listen to the Silverline speakers. Here's a hint.. call them and ask. Stop posting worthless threads and do something yourself.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
Anonymous,

Be a man and become non-anonymous. May be you need to understand a term called internet drect brand moron.

Raks

Bronze Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 85
I got to hear both lines at CES 2005 last year. The Silverline Sonata 3 was the best speaker I heard at CES. I didn't think they sounded the same at all by the way. The totem suite had two set ups one for 2 channel audio and the other was a really cool HT set up. They did a good job but my opnion, whcih you are asking for is the the Silverline Sonata 3s really were the better for music by quite a bit.

Anonymous

Raks... I understand internet-direct brands well moron. And I understand that any of those internet-direct brands that would not allow me to audition their products in my home with a full money-back guarantee would not even get a millisecond of consideration from me. The bottom line is still the same. There can be product shills on these boards for every brand, and no one's opinion matters except for yours. Unless we're talking about Bose. Bose just $uck$

Bronze Member

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 17
Rak.
Speakers only sound as good as the signal sent to them, and what sounds good to you, may not be so for me. You need to go to a store near you and listen to a few match ups.
The Silverlines are easier to power, giving you a wider choice of Amplifiers to choose from, they sound incredible with Mono Block Tube Amps.
I went with Totem Model 1, a Mani2's for better, more controlled Bottom end (29Hz) from a small speaker, but Amplification choice is more limited because of lower sensitivity (86db).
Totems are wonderfull sounding full range small speakers with multiple awards to prove it, but they require High Current Amplification. Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 375
John and Ringo"totin' totem".
Great band name!
Looks good too.

Bronze Member

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 19
www.cindysthrows.com is where I get Album Art Tapestry's from. Great stuff!

Bronze Member

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 20
At Cindy's type the word music in the quick search box to narrow your shopping.
Great designs such as Led Zeppelin, Janis Joplin, Jimmy Hendrix, etc.

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
Marc,

Do you mind giving the details of Totem 2 ch and HT set-ups in that CES 2005 show ?

Raks

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
cmoore,

It looks like a very nice set-up. Thanks for posting the pictures of your set-up. Do you mind giving the details of the rig you have in the pictures ?

Thanks
Raks

Bronze Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 87
The Totem HT set up where the rainmaker speakers. The gear was "good stuff" meaning not your typical receivers for 8 ohm speakers, but better power sources, but I cant remember the exact brand of equipment. Their HT room had those metal frames with fabric and lighting and the screen was like on an indian drumhead ( round) with feathers. It was actually pretty cool. The two channel set up in the other room--I also cannot remember the exact power equipment.

The silverline Sonata 3 was much better sounding than the other Silverline gear in the room ( which wasn't bad by any means) the power was clearly from monoblocks, but again, I cannot tell you the exact brand. AS far as sound , I thought they were very different. The Silverline Sontata 3s had an even room filling soundstage and the speakers just got lost in the room-- a good thing. The details were clear, the body of the music full, and the sound very much like having musicians in the room with you. It was an impressive experience for me obviously.

The totems were accurate and detailed as well. However, the sound stage was not quite as forward and open sounding to me as the Silverlines. So if I can take the liberty for comparative purposes only and describe Vandersteens as recessed with a soundstage behind the speakers if you will and the Silverlines more live and in front of the speakers, then the totems fall in between.

I'll be there again in January as will Totem and Silverline and I'll be able to pay more attention to those details the second go round as far as power sources.

Bronze Member

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 32
@Raks
ATI ATP8500.1 Processor(Amplifier Technologies)

ATI AT3007 Pure Balance Amp 300W X 7 differential design Balanced at both Input and Output, unlike most supposedly balanced Amps which are only balanced at input.

Music Hall MMF5 Turntable with Bluenote Phono Stage (Bench test unit).

VPI record cleaner.

Shanling CD-T100 Tube Output CD PLayer

Arcam FMJ DV27 DVD Player.

4 Totem Model 1 Signature
1 Totem Model 1 Signature Center
2 Totem Mani2 (Mains)
2 Totem Lightning Subs

2 Atlantic 4 Pillar Stands filled with Lead Shot (110lbs each) and Sound Care internal spike feet

4 Lovan speaker stands (Lead filled) for side and rear.

Lovan Equipment Racks, separately spiked, and Lead filled.

Harmonic Tech Melody Line and Pro9 speaker Cables

Harmonic Tech Power Cords on all components.

Harmonic Tech XLR interconnects to Amp.

Harmonic Tech Pro Silway Intereconnects

Ultralink Optics

Tributary Interconnects

Pioneer Elite Pro510HD 53" Wide Screen.

Etc, Etc.

Cheers!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1052
cmoore

I'm surprised you've toed in the Mani-2s so much. I know it gives very sharp focus but I'd expect music to sound a bit pinched and narrow. The bass would typically overblow too. With surround sound I'd expect it to be a bit congested. I have setup my Manis with just about 5 degrees of toe-in, if that. The central image is just strong enough, but the spread of music now goes well beyond the width of the speakers. May be work trying. Also, you have the manis quite close to the rear wall. If you brought them further into the room (say, the baffle is parallel to the rig next to them) you'll find the music opens up quite a bit too probably.

regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us