Paradigm Reference Series

Ironfist
Unregistered guest
Ive been wanting to upgrade my speakers for awhile now. Ive been searching around and around and reading these forums, getting info on what i need. So i would like your guys' opinions. The paradigm Studio 40's are really appealing to me and im almost set in stone on getting them. I would like to ask a couple questions. How do they compare with the Studio 20's? Also i plan on getting new speakers entirely for my system. I was thinking on getting the 40's, adp surrounds, and 470 center. With an SVS sub. This system is going into my bedroom so i can just veg and relax with it. Enjoy a few explosions here and there.

That being said, i dont know if thats mainly what i should do. The second choice i was thinking of doing is still sticking with the 40's and using Mini monitors as rears. How would the Mini monitors do against the ADP surrounds? I dont do alot of SACD, DVD-A listening, although id like to get into that scene in the future.

I like warm speakers, im not a fan of Bright ones. Klipsch just really annoy me after 5 mins of listening. My budget is $5000 max (for everything) Finally the biggest question i have is, Im going to be going the pre-pro, amp route. So i was wondering how would the paradigms match up with lets say the outalaw audio pre-pro. Ive read good reviews on that and it received the gold award, so that must meen something right? Also considering the outlaw amp while im at it. 755 i believe.

So does anyone have a difference in opinion on what i should do? Keeping in mind i like warm speakers. Suggestions welcome. one last thing is, if i decide to get the paradigm's what suggestions do you have for a pre-pro, and amp.

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2223
I have the Studio 40v3's front and 20's rear and CC470 center and believe that they represent an excellent value. I would not buy the ADP's because I believe that the 20's offer more flexibility (surround music such as SACD and DVD-A) at a lower cost. I also would would skip the SVS sub and get a Hsu. The Rotel pre/pro and multichannel power amp match very well with Paradigm speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Paul98

Post Number: 83
I think you would be just fine going with any of the studio line. But if you have a chance and can find some in your area you might want to check out the polk LSi line.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 333
The Paradigm and PSB line match up quite equally, IMHO.
Psb and Nad are a born match, maybe available at the same dealership.
Both speaker lines are Canadian made, so the dollar difference is not as much in your favor right now.
If you are set in stone and have the 5grand max available, you will be able to fit a nice disc player from Panasonic in there.
Nad receivers are about your temp(warm), and are 4ohm stable, check the impedance of the speaker line, the psb,s are 4 ohm in some lines.

Ironfist
Unregistered guest
hey art,

thank you for your input. Ive made up my mind with the Studio 40's. Do you personally bi-wire them? Ive been thinking if thats what im going to do. If not go with 7.1 whats your take on that? I was looking at the SVS vs Hsu and i came to the conclusion of the SVS only because, first the name is reliable, the space fits really nicely in my room. The Hsu is a bit too big. Even the smallest HSU. The cylinder 25-30 i think it is fits perfectly where i want to put it. Rotel i was considering too. I only came up with the Outlaw because they are very nicely priced and reviews say they perform very good. The Rotel are they warm? In my area the only high end shop i guess you can call it PUSHES Paradigm like crazy! I think thats actually the only speaker they sell!

Paul S,

The Polk LSi Line are floorstanding right? Yeah those are too big for my room.

Nuck,

Im actually located in Canada. Alot farther west from you. Why do you mention Panasonic for a disk player? I was thinking of getting a Denon 3901 or the 5901 model. Ive actually looked at the Oppo DVD player. They say its excellent, and its cheap. I dont know though, any suggestions on a player? Keeping in mind this will be for HT too.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 350
Fist, my bro got the Panasonic(looking for model) and it covers all letters of the alphabet, including sacd dvda, and cd-g(kareoke).
Top of the line reviews and inexpensive.
Looking for the model now.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 351
BTW fist, is your rec/amp 4 ohm capable?

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 352
77s is the model, I misread, it was mostly for upread and hdmi for tv.
Never mind

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2225
Ironfist, you ain't seen big until you see an SVS. I had an SVS in my home and it took up most of the available real estate..lol. Take a closer look at the Hsu and also the Outlaw subs. Both SVS and Hsu have great customer service but I would give the edge to Hsu.

I do biwire my 40's and find that 5.1 is enough for me. Most movie soundtracks are 5.1. Rotel is a good blend of forward and detailed without being bright (with Paradigm speakers). I have the Denon DVD2910 and find it to be a competent DVD player but would not use any of the DVD players for CD and would instead buy a dedicated CD player. The Rotel CD player would make an ideal match for your system.

Anonymous

"Paul S,

The Polk LSi Line are floorstanding right? Yeah those are too big for my room. "

They have bookshelves as well.

IronFist
Unregistered guest
Art,

For my space I think I will also stick with just 5.1. The SVS model I was thinking of getting is the 25-31pci. http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pci_25-31.htm

They give the dimensions of the sub and ive measured it and it seems to be pretty small. 32" tall... thats actually pretty tall now that I measure it.. But the Diameter is a nice size. I dont know what I should do now. Ill take a look at the Outlaw one. The smallest one looks pretty good, but I wonder if it delivers. After all it is made by HSU. Or designed. As for the DVD player maybe ill stick with the Denon, and get a Rotel CD player. Art what are you running your Paradigms with?

Paul S, and Anon

I think ill stick with Paradigm's

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2227
My system is a bit complicated. I have an NAD C162 pre amp and a Hafler 9505 power amp (250 watts x 2). I use a Yamaha RX-V657 receiver as a processor for movies and to power the center and rears. I also use the Yamaha as a AM/FM/XM tuner. It doesn't sound as good for movies as the Rotel setup I recommended for you would sound, but would outperform it for 2 channel listening.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 464
I would agree with Art about getting a CD Player especially since I got a used Rotel CD RCD-855 and I am very impressed. However if you are set on getting a DVD player, you may want to get in on this deal at Ubid.com for a Denon 2200 universal player.

http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=10531130

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 676
If you're going to go with a universal player, I can highly recommend the Denon 2200. I added to my system and it made a huge difference in sound quality and a good step-up in video quality over a Sony progressive scan. Now, HT sounds more like it should.

Ironfist
Unregistered guest
Art,

that sounds fantastic. I love techno gadgets. The more the better. i think im really going to stick with the Rotel, Paradigm setup. How much did you pay for your whole speaker system. The Paradigm 40's and the 20's, also the center. The only hi end store here pushes Paradigm like crazy, as ive said before, but i dont know if they give the best price. I think they jack it up quite high. I remember my dad buying Paradigm Legends awhile back and he paid $1000 for them. What is the average price i should be paying for them? The Rotel...Hmm do you have any suggestions of where i can purchase that? Can i buy online? I only say that because the closest dealer is 2hours away! in another city! Im pretty set in stone for the speakers and pre-pro, amp, and cd, dvd player... But im still puzzled on the damn sub. Its beginning to bug me. I need a small profile one. Im thinking the outlaw now... or still sticking with the SVS but sticking it in the far back in the corner. Your thoughts?

Dakulis, Stof, Thank you for your input!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2235
Iron, I don't remember what I paid as I traded in my Monitor series setup for them. I never worry about comparing price, I compare service and expertise. I'll pay a premium for those and at my humble wages that's sayin' something. I would drive the 2 hrs for the Rotel in a heartbeat because you can't buy it online and it is worth it. SVS and Hsu cylinder subs are very good and would likely give you far superior performance than the small Outlaw. I didn't understand that you were not looking at their box subs. Good luck and enjoy the music.

Ironfist
Unregistered guest
Yeah, im not too worried about the price but ya know the better deal the bigger smile..lol.. Ok so it looks like im Driving. While im there i should demo some other things. Yeah i dont want the box subs because well, they take up too much room. The cylinders are just tall and have a nice size diameter. I never knew HSU made cylinder subs. Maybe ill give them a look. Basically i just need a small profile subwoofer. Do you have the HSU website? ill have a look on there. Thanks again Art

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2246
Actually I don't see any cylinders on their website so perhaps they quit making them. Perhaps you should give them a call and find out.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/

Ironfist
Unregistered guest
Alright ill give them a call and find out. Do you have an HSU sub? What do you think about the STF-1? how do you think it would compete with the SVS i mentioned?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2253
The SVS cylinder will likely outperform a small Hsu sub. I have a Hsu VTF2 Mk2 but I only use it for HT and use an Era Sub 10 for music which BTW is a very small sub that is more musical than any by Hsu or SVS. However it costs 1K and is not the best for HT because it's tight and fast not boomy like most folks want for HT.

Ironfist
Unregistered guest
i have no problem with budget. If the Era 10 will give my music a better feel then for sure ill pick one up. For HT I think ill stick with the SVS, and i might splurge for the Era. Do they have a site? If I get both the SVS and Era, can i connect them at the same time and shut one or the other off depending on whether im watching HT or listening to music? If not, how do you propose i do that if i get both?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2256
This is how my system is hooked up. I will copy and paste an old post from a thread long ago.

"Use the AVR as yet another source component hooked up to the video or aux on your pre and to power the center and rears. Leave the AVR off completely when listening to 2 channel. I go from the L/R front pre outs on the AVR to the video in on my NAD C162 pre. The C162 pre has 2 sets of pre outs. I use 1 set to go to the power amp and the other to go to the sub so that I have use of the sub for both 2 channel and home theater. I have to set the pre amp volume control to a set mark when I calibrate the home theater and return it to that setting every time I listen to it. It's key to remember to turn it back down before returning to 2 channel use or you can blow your fronts. It's a bit of pain but well worth it to me for better 2 channel music performance."

It's a little different now that I have 2 subs. The Hsu is connected to the LFE on the AVR which is off when I'm playing music in 2 channel and the Era is connected as outlined above.

Era is distributed through Signal Path the same folks that distribute Musical Fidelity. The Era sub was designed by Michael Kelly to compete with REL subs and be smaller and less expensive.

http://www.signalpathint.com/

Ironfist
Unregistered guest
Art,

That sounds complicated just by reading it haha. I think i can do without. Its just a bedroom unit and i dont think ill need the full out shibang. Ill stick with the SVS and be done with it. Ive been looking at the Rotel amplifiers and cant decide what to get. Should I go with the Digital one. Or the 5channel analog one? What are the diff benefits for eatch? Other then the digital one being nice and compact..

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2266
Up to you but I'd probably opt for the analog one. If you could audition the digital amp that would be nice. I can't imagine Rotel putting out a poor sounding amp so it ought to be fine.

Ironfist
Unregistered guest
Well if i head out 2 hours to go pick it up ill demo it at the same time. Then make my decision. So as for purchasing goes it goes with. Rotel pre-pro, CD player, Denon 3910, and Rotel amp. For speakers, Paradigm 40's, and 20's, 470 center, and SVS sub. I think im ready to go! i cant wait! But for 1 thing, Art, how do i Bi-wire the speakers if i get a 5CH amp? or dont i?

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 441
Ironfist, bi-wire or bi-amp?
Bi-wire is 2 parallel runs of wire, 1 high, 1 low.Bi-amp is using the Rotel in stereo, 'A' channel for the high, 'B' channel for the low.

I have not seen any benefit in bi-wire(i will explain my reasoning if you wish), but that's just me, you may find it great.

How is your interconnect?
Very important with the high quality componannts you have on the way.
I had middle of the road stuff, then bought HQ off the roll and soldered with siver and found a great improvement..
Maybe you oo?

Looks like a great setup!
Let us know when it's running!

Cheers

Ironfist
Unregistered guest
Hey Nuck,

The Al's are going to the cup next week! 5grand rolling on that team... so they better take it lol. But yes i mean bi-wire. Because the 40's are bi-wireable. If i dont bi wire them what use does the other set of connects do? Isnt it bad to keep them empty? I dont know with that. Sure id like to hear your reasoning. My interconnects will be Audioquest, or better cables, or Ps audio if im crazy. I plan on buying a surge protector, probably 10-12outlets from Psaudio.com

Ill let you know when i head out and pick this stuff up. Ill have to buy the paradigms first, because they are about a 5min walk to demo/buy. Leave those running with my old receiver, so they can get some use out of them and shorten the break in time. Then ill head out to calgary to pick up the Rotels..

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 454
Als pounded the Boatmen in the end.
$5k would pay for all you stuff, I'm rootin' for your guys!
The bi-wire arrangement is a parallel run of wire feeding both sets of posts.
The current running through the wires runs around the outer circumference of the conductor, so if the speaker wire were one solid wire, the capacity would be low, as the 33% of the conductor in the middle would be unused.
With stranded wire, much more of the conductor mass is used, because of the multiple conductors and circumferences available.

Now, different frequencies travel in different areas of this circumference, or so I have been told. By running parallel runs, the current is free to travel uninhibited through the area of wire without interference from other frequencies.

Remove the binding strips and install runs of cable to each set of posts.

Thats the theory, as I understand it. Please note that as a disclaimer, I have only the minimun recommended daily allowance of audio intelligence, and claim no more.

Ironfist
Unregistered guest
The Als are gonna crush the Eskies next weekend. Ray cant even complete a TD pass. I know what bi-wire is, and what not.. But ok, question i have is how do i connect it a bi-wire speaker to a 5CH amp...I dont think i can, can i? If i dont, then how does it work? the "low end" of the terminals, well i guess you can say the second set of terminals will be unused. so wont that be not good? Also call me dumb but, how do you connect spade tipped speaker wires? I have not the slightest idea of how to connect it to the post. Banana plugs, hey no problem, but the spades, im stumped. Will head out to pick up the Rotel after the cup next weekend. One last thing is, i want to sound proof my room. What materials would i use to do that?

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 461
Ray cant toss atouchdown.
He couldnt toss his cookies.
Couldnt throw a fit.
Als 36-13.
Boooya!

Ironfist, I will try to clarify my earlier mess.
Two wires from the FR+ post, one each to the upper and lower + post of the speaker.
Repeat for - post of amp and speaker.
Remove cheap coupler on speaker.
It is now a parallel run from amp to speaker, same as before, but with wires instead of binding strips.
I will forward a further link from Frank A when he helped me out(again).

The spade i would have to see, but do they come with the speakers or is that the speaker post arrangement.
I cant find the q mark on this francias keyboard BTW.

Doh!

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 462
Ironfist, I cant find it.
If you want, its here on the stupid blog

greatwhitena.blogspot.com

Silver Member
Username: Fps_dean

Williamstown, MA USA

Post Number: 137
Studio 40s are great sounding speakers. I completely support your choice :-) Art Kyle's setup of Studio 20s as the surrounds sounds good to me.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2289
Sounds good to me too. :-)

Ironfist
Unregistered guest
Nuck,

Ya got that right. Maas is the only one keepin that team alive and he was traded! haha! LOL! Eskies are doomed. But watch this, its going to be politics and the Als will be playing really crappy, their will be bogus calls, and pretty much fixed. If the Eskies made it this far, im really actually thinking its going to be a fixed game..For betting reasons. Which is why i also put 5K on the Eskies..

Ok but moving on. Call me stupid or just not comprehensive but i seriously dont understand what your talking about. I know the top post is for the mids, highs, and the lower second set of posts is for the low end of the speaker. The only question i have is of how i connect a Bi-wire speaker to a 5channel amp. And if i can do that? Because with a 7ch amp i know you connect the lower binding posts to the extra 2Ch's. But since its a 5channel amp i dont think you can.. As for the spades, the speaker wire is spade tipped. So i dont know how to connect those to the speakers, or amp. Banana's and bare wire, well no brainer, but spades i have no idea how to connect.

Thanks Dean im lookin forward to this.

Im getting sucked in to maybe buying siltech cables.......

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 495
Dude, the wires from the amp to the speakers. Run 2 sets. the red on the amp gets 2 red wires.
The black on the amp gets 2 black wires.
On the speakers, one set on the top posts.
Other red and black on the bottom posts.
Make sure the pairs are the same, top and bottom.
I mean that the pair of runs stay on the top or the bottom, doesnt matter, as long as they are in pairs.
And remove the metal strips between the posts on the speakers(original).

Ironfist
Unregistered guest
Ok that makes perfect sense now. Thanks Nuck ill let ya know when i have everything set up.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us