Best Sub for under 300$

Username: Divinesin

Post Number: 1
I was wondering what would be the best subwoofer for under 300$ (this would be online, not in retail stores of cores =P). I was wondering about the Cerwin Vega LW-15. Would there be any other subs i should consider??

Post Number: 2
Cant anyone help me?

Anonymous

I would go with the Velodyne CHT-10 currently $229 at Onecall.

Post Number: 3
Does anyone else have any idea's? I'm looking for something powerfull yet clear and good for rock/techno

Bronze Member
Username: Sssand2

Post Number: 25
Brandon,
The Hsu STF-1 has been getting good reviews. It is $299 at www.hsuresearch.com

Username: Clueless

Post Number: 2
check out etronics.com
excellent quality and prices, get all my stuff there

matt3211
Unregistered guest
check our JRaudio.com. I found the Velodyne CHT-10 and the Yamaha YST-SW315, both 10inchers for right about 200 plus about 30 shipping. great deal im deciding between the two myself. if anyones got any input on both of these that be great

Post Number: 4
I actuallyd decided to push my budget alittle further to 399 and am going to buy the Rava 12" Subwoofer. It is supposedly the best subwoofer in its price range and even higher.

Bronze Member
Username: Ducati1331

Post Number: 39
well if you havnt bought it yet...Kicker Subs...im getting 2 CVR 15". I think there great. Also, JLAudio are good...a little expensive but good

Username: Sweeperkjc

You can't beat the price to power ratings of Bic america. For better sound move up to their higher line: HSU. I have the Bic 1015. 250 watts rms and was only $180 shipped. Sounds great when in the right setting. Also, for the price, get two for your setup and you'll get all the bass you need

Post Number: 5
Bic america is great..I have a pair of there RTR Speakers..They have the range..But when pushed to higher levels they bottom out easilly, and with the Rava i can get more accurate and way more bass than with a Cheap Bic America.

kenny richards
Unregistered guest
if you have $300 to spend on subs, volfenhag is the way to go. My advice would be to buy 6 volfenhag "12 subs. If you need an amp to go with them, go to www.doushenbagen-industries.com. They make custom volfenhag amps there. Volfenhag is definitely the way to go. Anything else is a waste of money and time. Everybody on this board has no clue what they are talking about, so listen to me and buy 6 volfs.

jake mcdugal
Unregistered guest
the velodyne cht-10 sucks as much dick as you

Username: Sweeperkjc

Post Number: 3
Brandon, You have the RTR speakers. They are the lowere models in the BIC lineup. For example the Bic DV62si and it's matching center are constantly rated at the top of the pack. Check the reviews at audioreview.com. My opinion is that a cerwin Vega sub at the same price level as the bic or hsu would not compare favorably.

Matt32111
Unregistered guest
Does anybody have any info on the JBL E250P and/or the Velodyne CHT-10. it seems that the velodyne is a good choice but the jbl seems pretty decent. both are going to be purchased online of course. any info would be great, thanks

Silver Member
Username: Disco_stan

Minnesota

Post Number: 140
Matt I would honestly look at the new Fluance subwoofers. I have the 10" one for 200 dollars and I'm very happy with it. It by far blows the Velodyne and JBL subwoofers right our of the water in preformance and volume. Even though their website does not have any specs on their subs I took a gamble and Im extremely satisfied with it. This would be a great sub if you are just starting out.

I do not have a SPL meter but I do know it can handle 80db quiet well watching movies or listening to music.
Good luck

jjjik1
Unregistered guest
Buy Rite Electronics - great prices on subwoofers/ amplifiers:

http://buyriteelectronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=_S PEAKERS

Username: Itb

Check out the Mirage LF-100. I's right at $300. I was out of room and out of money when I found this.

Anonymous

Matt is right. Fluance subs are really good. I have the 12" one and it is the best. It really shakes the house especially in Finding Nemo. THe place where the girl taps on the aquariam. The windows were still rattling 3 seconds after it was over!

Username: Voodoo

Post Number: 6
I just bought the Velodyne CHT-10. Under $200 shipped at Electronics-Expo.com I have a pretty small space, but man, it's got some rumble. My little Alphas can't keep up. There's a possibility you could do better with one of the other subs mentioned here, none of which I've heard personally, but I can say with certainty that you will be satisfied, if not more, with the Velodyne. Pretty good sub for a pretty good price. Check out some of the reviews. Most say it's a good bargain at the MSRP ($500).

Bronze Member
Username: Donaldekelly

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 33
At the risk of sounding as ignorant as I am - I have two questions:

1) How important is a sub to audio? I have a decent receiver and speakers that go down to 80hz. I am going to go listen to the difference soon, but is this a no brainer? ("If you like good music get good speakers a good amp and a good sub")

2) I have heard SVS recommended a lot but they don't seem to have any subs under $300 or even $400. The under $400 or so Paradigm subs get decent reviews but not great reviews. Seems the only one left that gets consistently good reviews is the Hsu. (tell me if there are others - I will reread the above talk and do some more searching out).

So, the question - is there much difference between the stf-1 hsu and the stf-2 - other than the $100 difference on their website?

And, again there are other good subs around $300 - so keep the conversation going so I can learn. Thanks.

Bronze Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 34
OK - Velodyne CHT-10 and bic subs are also pretty well respected. I am still learning.

Matt N
Unregistered guest
I just bought a Klipsch KSW-12 for 200 and it wails. I was able to get an awesome price online that i couldnt refuse. i'm sure that the stf line is a better sub, but if you can find one i would suggest it. also, be sure that you dont skimp out on you'r connection. makes a big difference. hope this helps

Bronze Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 38
I just ordered the Velodyne CHT8. Seems the Hsu subs are better, but the Velodyne CHTs are highly recomended, too. Not quite as good but still plenty good. (I searched on this for plenty of info here).

CHT-8 was about $170 from J and R www.jr.com

Actually $129 plus $40 shipping!

PSGalbraith
Unregistered guest
Matt, where did you get the Klipsch KSW-12? And do they ship to Canada? :-)

In Canada, I'm looking at:

Paradigm PDF-10 C$500
Paradigm PW-2100 C$1000
Velodyne CHT-12 C$750
Mission ms10 C$500
Mission m5as C$1300 (Could get it for $1000)
Klipsch RW10 C$769

I'm unsure whether to go 10 or 12 inch. I've heard that 10 inch model are better musically. The aim is to extend bass for full-range speakers.

it doesnt matter
Unregistered guest
look man the HZ 12 are a great buy it hifonics zues series there about 170 each they work in ported or sealed enclosers large or small enclosers ive got 2 of them in a 3 cubic feet vented box with a 351 fosgate amp on it and im hiten 146 db i could be hiten harder if i could afford a biger amp cause there 400 watts rms 750 max and im only pushen 175 watts to each sub the sound quality is exilent i recomend these sub there a good buy for ur buck u can check them out at www.hifonicsusa.com

it doesnt matter
Unregistered guest
look man the HZ 12 are a great buy it hifonics zues series there about 170 each they work in ported or sealed enclosers large or small enclosers ive got 2 of them in a 3 cubic feet vented box with a 351 fosgate amp on it and im hiten 146 db i could be hiten harder if i could afford a biger amp cause there 400 watts rms 750 max and im only pushen 175 watts to each sub the sound quality is exilent i recomend these sub there a good buy for ur buck u can check them out at www.hifonicsusa.com

Username: Kkt

California

How about an Atlantic Technology T70PBM. I have one and very happy about it. It's a 10" that goes down to 25Hz, as tested by Sound & Vision. You can find it for under $400.

Unregistered guest
I've also been in the market to add a sub to my Klipsch system. Wanting to maintain some symmetry, I was going to go with Klipsch. However, a real eye opener was the Mirage LF100 and LF150. I thought both compared very favorably to Klipsch's RW 8 or 10. And, if space is a concern, they are very unobtrusive. In my mind, they are a real value worth exploring.

Bronze Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 45
A little off topic - but I think I just discovered something you all may have already known.

I have some "multichannel" cds that don't seem to have a sub/LFE track. The cds that do have the LFE seem to all be called "surround sound" and add the "5.1" in the cd booklet of cover.

I have a gorgeous classical cd with lots of bass from a cello - but nothing comes out of the subwoofer. Some bass comes out of my 20khz-60hz main speakers, but with my sub set to crossover at 100 or even higher - nothing comes out of the sub.

I could put the receiver on surround sound Dolby Pro Logic II or I can hook up speaker level inputs to the sub to get the bass into the sub - but both startegies degrade the sound somewhat.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a better way? Am I correct in thinking that some or many multichannel cds and dvd-a discs have no subwoofer track?

I will post this as a separate topic as well - so this thread does not HAVE to go off topic.

Matt N
Unregistered guest
PSG- i work at BB and got it through them...if your going 10inch i would also look at Hsu velodyne Pinacle or mirage as well. if you can afford it i would go with the Hsu. hope this helps

Anonymous

Try Definitive Technology's Prosub 100TL or 200TL

Bronze Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 39
Matt,

Thanks for the advice. Hsu are hard to get in Canada; at least, I'm uncertain of the duties and cost of shipping. Mirage is Canadian, but I wasn't considering them because I didn't think they were in the same league. Mirage is API corp., which allows holds the brand Athena and Energy, right? Is Mirage supposed to be better or lower than Energy?

Thanks,
Peter

master7045
Unregistered guest
peter- sorry its been a while, i am not sure on the quality of the two. i believe that Mirage has got better sat's but energy has a better sub. if anyone has got more info please correct me. sorry its so late

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 197
Wow! Old thread!

Hsu subs were hard to get in Canada at the time but they have a Canadian distributor now, and they shipped my an STF-3 which I greatly enjoy. As good on music as it is on movies!

Big Rob
Unregistered guest
Rockfords man...Rockfords... the new stage two rockfords are unbelievable....just my opinion though

Username: Robins313

Where can I get the best price on a Klipsch KSW-12 subwoofer?

islandboy
Unregistered guest
whats up, i got 2 12inch vlofenhag subs for like under 125 and they both have 1000w at piece. im thinking about going with legacy amps but i have heard that there shitty so im sure what amps to get. i have a large sub box, custom out of mdf board and i have no vent holes. im tring too get some serious bass the deeper the better right? if you think i need help let me know.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us