SDAT from Overstock

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 435
anyone know how the SDAT speakers from overstock are?

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 724
theres a huge thread on the sdats farther down. last post was on halloween. in short, you get what you pay for. also ingore the posts by Richard, he doesnt know what he is talking about.

Bronze Member
Username: Banyanleaf

Post Number: 40
who is richard? you mean galvin?

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 238
Christopher,

While my instincts tell me your correct about the SDATs, Tawaun's profile (I assume you've read some of his post on this board) shows that he's replaced his Mordaunt-Short 908s with a pair of SDATs. Tawaun seems to know what he's talking about.

I've not heard them, so I have no idea how they sound, and I'd have a very hard time buying a speaker from SDAT or Theater Research sight unseen.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 763
yes he did replace them, but if you read his posts about the sdats he was initially happy with them but was quite disappoineted in them later especially when Kenny Li who supposedly worked SDAT turned out to be a flake. for the like $50 price tag on a pair of towers you cant really expect much. i wouldn't mind trying a pair but i have no room or desire considering i am quite happy with my B&Ws.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 415
Which model for $50?
Lots of shite to choose fron there.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 764
ok im sorry, $75. still dirt cheap.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 245
oh.

Username: Starfoxacefox

Livermore, CO USA

Post Number: 1
I saw that list of messages ~shakes~ I say you can't really go wrong with them, I was thinking to buy a pair to play around with if you think about it they are price on just a box and drivers. Nothing more there no cross over or time on seeing if there any better way to make them sound better. Just build and sell lol well I just say if you don't have the money to put on it just buy it and put a cross over in them. Even soo I have build speaker in the past and if you can work with wood and wire up speaker you can make a really good pair, but there alot more to that I mostly take old speaker and just build them up. My best one was these white van Acoustic Liner Systems 520 I got them at Goodwill for $10 lol and then putting $120 in drivers and $30 for cross over parts it came out really good.

Well I will update you guys when I do get them and try to make them better. Even soo I'm new here just because I want to see what other says before buying them. I did my homework on them..

Fox

FoxRunner PC and Fang Line Speakers

Kay Nguyen
Unregistered guest
I'm too interest inthe SDATs, especially the SB-E639D model. I've been following some of the threads from Tawaun A.Williams and Richard lately. But at the end, it's kinda shocked me where Tawaun was leaving it off without a clear explaination. I know the part of Kenny Li dissed all of us.

I was just about to order these SB-E369D but then decided to hold off. I'm just an average guy who wish nothing more than a decent system. I mean, I don't go hoping for these to compare to 1K+ speakers, but at least to the standards like JBL, Infinity, and Polks where they'd cost 400+ for an okay pair. For $250 a set, can I go wrong with these?

Please suggest?

Thanks guys

Livermore, CO USA

Post Number: 2
OK ok well I see what you mean there 3 ways you can do this well for about $250 get a nice pair of the JBL or Klipsch bookself speaker and just get stands for them and they will be a tower now I would do it this way because for that price you get a good pair of power and long lasting speaker I have the JBL Northridge N26II speaker and they have great bass and last me 3 years now, but now they stop making my line of drivers soo I got to keep it down and not blow anything like I always do lol Well for Klipsch I would say yes, but to keep the music like it should there horn teewers are much too out there changing the music too much when it being push out that why I don't really lean to them, you might have to get them off like some out stock website to keep the price rang were you want.

Now for the SDAT, well I can say they are a MTM speaker not bad in case I bet it's a 6omh right off the part and yea for the price it would do great but there few thing those speaker would need to really good, A full on cross over that takes both woofter a hz changes meaning that each on run at a diff hz soo your ohm will stay at 8 even soo you would need to add close champer for one of the woofter, if they havn't done it. I bet they didn't add anything inside, you would add suffing in the box to give it more bass because a close in non-fill box dosen't give you the bass you want soo fillinf it in with suffing would help and then with all that should have a nice pair of tower that would sound great! Even so taking part the speaker to do all that and knowing little about cross over for the drivers would be a must.

Then the last thing I know alot of my info is diy suff, but for 250 why not build your own well ok not really start from someone else idea and just do it your own if you have time and skill to do it here a good place

http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/homeaudio.html

It's a good place to get info and most of the diy do have list of cost and parts list. Most of them are really build well. I try my hand at a few and change some a bit work out well.

I hope this help out even soo try ebay for some good tower, might be used but might get a good speaker..

Fox

Livermore, CO USA

Post Number: 3
Oh yes one more thing with the SDAT speaker even soo you don't know much about cross over just get a bread borad and just play would with diff caps on the teewer and midrang to see which one work best for you in the sound point and try a .5 coil on both woofter or up 1.2 coil.. Not sure what kind of speaker they used in the modle.. If you don't want to play around with that just add suffing and you will be fine...

Fox

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 251
Why roll the dice and risk buying a s--t pair of speakers when amazon.com ir running a sale on Mission speakers

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?search-alias=electronics-aps&field-manufacturer=Mission

My choice is the Mission M32i at $175 delivered.

Username: Nkcd

Atlanta, GA US

Thanks guys for the suggestion. But regardless, DIY will get expensive, and the Mission M32i is kinda too small for my purposes. What I'd like to know is the exact feedback on the SDAT SB-E639D and not the hearsays. I don't go asking for comparision with highend speakers that cost 1000 or more. But what I'd like to know is how that specific model stacks up against its price if is it worth it for 250 shipped. And how would they compare to the regular Sony, Infinity, and Yamahas, JBLs that are listed on this site for 400+ a set?

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/category/type/31

Dennis T
Unregistered guest
Kay,

It looks like the only option you have is to buy the speakers yourself. Everyone else has an opinion, but no one has heard them except for Tawaun A.Williams and maybe another person or two. Someone else has to be the Guinee Pig for these things. I am tempted myself to but the e70's or try the small bookshelves which are part of the LEB-405 surround sound package. But of course I am reluctant to spend on something which doesn't seem to receive any press except.

Dennis

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 3
yea, I'm waiting to hear back from Tawaun about his final verdict. It kinds scared me how he left things off in the middle. I don't mind being the Guinea Pig to test out but for 250 bucks. It's kinda scary. Common Tawaun, where are you dude?

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1285
Kay they are a remakable speaker for the money,but they do need high quality power to give their best and to shock all of your friends.I bought them to see if I wanted to sell them,but SDATs customer service is terrible,and I dont like how they are marketing their company,when with right approach they could easily sell for more.But the 639 is the only model I could vouch for,if I wanted to sell them it be just them and probably the SB-5,which I still wanna find out about that speaker,the others I havent good things about.The 639s are good I would take them over most $1000 and under floorstanders,for $250 thats a silly deal,with the way market thier company its hard for people to take them serious,and their bad customer service i dont expect them ever getting the kind of respect companies like Wharfedale,PSB,Paradigm,or even Infintys budget lines get.The one downfall,it seems the company is just making what they can off of them selling at the closeout stores,its kind of like they are giving up on their products,and that leaves a sour taste in my mouth,how can a consumer or a retailer back a product when the company doesent even back them.All the guys over at SDAT need to go to advertising school and learn how to market products correctly

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 4
thanks Tawaun A.Williams for your reply. So to sum it up:

1. You only back up the 639s.
2. They're good speakers.
3. The 639s needs good amp for them. (suggestion?)
4. They're better than these http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/category/type/31 for both Quality and Price.

BUT

1. SDAT Sucks when it come to marketing and Customer service.
2. The company is just plain sucks. But the 639s are good.

I've been reading a lot and sick and tired of all these hearsays and none of real experiences.

Thanks again. I'll see if I can give them a try. :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1287
They are far far better than what people think.Kay most of the people that comment on them havent even heard them,its SDATs fault why they are prceived as junk,and from audiophiles point of view its perfectly understandable.No they are not white van speaker,SDAT just markets them like white van speakers.

Dennis T
Unregistered guest
Tawaun,

Words of wisdom. In addition to your comments lets also consider that White Van companies do not have a booth at CES, They do not have websites and telephone numbers, and they do not produce various other products. Celestion the once great British company is now Chinese owned. People do not call Celestion white Van speakers even though they are highly discounted and in the same price range as SDAT. The name garners them respect. The same analogy holds true for companies like Acoustic research and Advent.

I have no affiliate to Sdat and have never heard a pair of their speakers, but would gladly take a free pair. Where are you Kenny Li?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1289
SDAT does have a website and a phone #,so whats your point,I hope you are not trying to give me a Chinese trade briefing,and if your looking for Kenny good luck,why not check Overstock or how about Amazon,he is probably a shipping boy for one of those unaudio chains.Look here Word of Wisdom to you stop looking for hand outs and go buy your own speakers,or if you are Kenny Beat it you idiot,How is that for Words of Wisdom?

Livermore, CO USA

Post Number: 4
lol There you go even soo I would say SDAT isn't a bad thing to go with, but there alo of things they could work on those speaker to make them better. Well I seen acoustic research and I would pass on them, but like the big guys Sony, JBl.. ect they put time on building there speaker now the low end I would have to say Sony and I wouldn't even put Yamaha on there just because they were good back in the pasted, but now it's just cheap!! Everyone making speakers smaller and that just not right even soo I miss JBL daul 12" speaker lol Those big mother as.. tower for $1,200 was soo cool and sound great. Ohh well who this Kenny Li guy if he knew anything about building speaker he would have left SDAT and try find a better job lol

Fox

Could go with Montior Audio I really love them, but I don't have $xxxx of money for them...

www.monitoraudio.uk

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 5
lol Tawaun, it's funny how you dislike SDAT as a company but like their speakers. I too know that feeling of when you dislike how a company does thing but infact admit that they do have good products :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1291
They are deffinetly infants in the marketing department,thats for sure.

Livermore, CO USA

Post Number: 5
For the price hey I would be there, but I want to make sure the money I put down is used for everything can't wait for the SONY!! PS3!!!!! hahah ohh ok well hey Sony dose a good job for many of year I got suff from them back in 1968 and that some good suff I'm only 18 lol

Fox

Dennis T
Unregistered guest
Tawaun,

Relax there jerky. I was kidding. I'm on your side. What you don't realize is that most people here think you are the idiot. Don't be ashamed if you bought the SDAT's and like them.

Livermore, CO USA

Post Number: 6
?? Idiot, that bad word choice I would say just need time that all.. SDAT could be the next JBL lol

Fox

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 375
the klipsch sf-1 speakers that are offered on the vanns website are decent speakers for the price, with VERY revealing highs. Pair them with a smooth amp and CD player, and you will be rewarded.

Livermore, CO USA

Post Number: 7
Ohh yea those are very nice speaker I would get them.

Fox

Livermore, CO USA

Post Number: 8
YOu know I must say SDAT is white van!!! How you may ask, well I was coming out of walmart and these guys tryed to sell me audio suff and they show me book of the suff they had and what the price of them. Well I remember seeing a Home Theater set in the book, now I didn't buy anything. Well I was looking on SDAT website and I saw it there HT-A2K one soo they must be it lol Crazy!

Fox

I bet the only way they ask me if I wanted because I was driving my Porsche lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1292
Yeah whatever,who the hell are you? on yeah thats right another nobody anonymous,yeah that figures,coming from someone who is ashamed to register.So are you sure everyone thinks im the idiot,or some empty headed coward like yourself?

Bronze Member

Livermore, CO USA

Post Number: 11
Both of you shouldn't be talking here I'm the guy should be starting fight here just because I'm crazy! lol Ohh well I just say go buy the speaker you want they can be small or big, loud or soft.. from black to red and cheap to over priced speaker, but the best speaker is what your like to hear, what make your speaker a speaker then you can ask your self is there really any speaker out there that would work..

Well for me the only thing that would work is my own build speaker, but hearing it live is soo much better ~runs~ time to go to Dire Straits live!!!

Dire Straits - Why Worry

Fox

Atlanta, GA US

Old thread resurrection.

between these and the Mission m34i. Which one do you recommend? The difference is 125 bucks.

btw, and how are the SDATs of yours. Are they still running strong?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 282
The Missions are a NO BRAINER. If they're still available at Amazon.com, grab them NOW, they WILL sell out soon, and then that's that.

I own the M32i, the M34is little brother, and they are REALLY good, I auditioned plenty of speakers, Paradigmn, PSB, NHT, Epos, and a few others, and I settled on the M32is, at $175 it was $ for $ the best speaker up to about $500. I would imagine the M34i represent a similar vaule.

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 11
Cool, I'd prolly get the M34i for main room. SO how about you Tawaun, your SDATs are still good?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 392
why is it that these threads always come back to haunt us?

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
I also have the SDAT sb-e639d speakers and I did not like the bass performance at first so I added some weights on top of these speakers and they now sound very good. I would put them up there with $2000 and higher priced speakers now.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 804
so that we can get more bogus reviews.

Username: Just4net

Why are they always white vans? why not get a blue one and up the image?

(this comment essentially as inane as many I seem to see at times here..so I wanted to "fit in")

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
I'm wondering if SDAT speakers will be at the CES show maybe then people would find out that these speakers do sound alot better than they should. Talk about Bang For Your Buck, Wow!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1336
My dad has them they are still working good for him,they are built very well for the money,they just like a lot of power,he is thinking about investing in a good 200 watt amp for them.He knows what a good speaker is just like I do,he is a man that owned the Ohm Walsh 2s in the 80s and he said they are better than them in every way so its all coming from good info,they were better than the Mordaun Short 908 Avants that I just recently sold,which was shocking and frankly kind of hard to swallow for my audio pride.So if thats not a bargain i dont know what is,and trust me im a speaker junkie.

marogus
Unregistered guest
yo them SDATs aint so bad, I bought a pair for my mother and she real happy with them but with a Hafler amp almost anything will sound good I think.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 433
David,

some of us get sick of seeing threads on these speakers constantly resurface. That was what that was in reference to. so it was NOT an inane comment.

Username: Just4net

Post Number: 9
Gavin my apologies if you or others took offense. The comment to which I was referring was my OWN so I was aiming the jibe at MYSELF.

Clearly I was too obtusely attempting to point out the all too repetitive nature of the "white van" discussion that you so strongly state.

Username: Tubeytubeamp

Some one had to do it. What you say? I ordered a pair of SB-e70's from overstock. They should be here in a week. I'll compare them to my Phase Technology PC1.1II.

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
Someone should think about trying out SDAT's best speakers, the SDAT sb-e639d too. I have never heard the sb-e70's before so I do not know how good these speakers are but I have been told my SDAT that the sb-e639's are the best speakers that they make. More sure know that they do not have to spend much to get a great sounding speakers anymore!

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
Someone should think about trying out SDAT's best speakers, the SDAT sb-e639d too. I have never heard the sb-e70's before so I do not know how good these speakers are but I have been told by SDAT that the sb-e639's are the best speakers that they make. More people out there needs to know that they do not have to spend much to get a great sounding speakers anymore!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us