Subwoofer Recommendation Needed

Anyone have experience with Velodyne CHT15? If not, any recommendations for a subwoofer around $700? I have a HK525 receiver, still looking for speakers.

Anonymous
There are many subs with good reviews out there in that price range...Velodyne, Infinity, SVS, HSU, Paradigm, etc...

I personally like 10" or 12" subs. I think that the smaller woofers are tighter sounding, but don't go as loud at the lower frequencies as the bigger woofers. With smaller subs (like 8"), you have to watch out about bottoming them out. The 10"s or 12"s seem to have a nice balance. It all depends on how you like your bass.

I have a Velodyne VLF-1012 and I'm very happy with it.

Bass That Hz
I have a CHT-15 and a CT-100, I think the 15" does a lot better job in the <35Hz range but the 10" is more accurate with the higher freq's above 80Hz. The CHT-15 also has a current-sensing servo which reduces harmonic distortion like you wouldn't believe!

If you like to really feel the bass or have a medium sized room, go with the 15".

Whatever you do, don't get the 12" cause it sounds way to boomy (only 20 RMS Watts more then the 10" which is not enough watts per square inch of cone "RMS Watts / r^2 * PI" hence why its 300 RMS Watts for the 15", 130 Watts more then the 12", and 2X more then the 10") If you don't believe me all I can say is, You get what you pay for!

I recommend leaving the grill off on the CHT's, it will help reduce port noise and give you a little more sound pressure (look at it closely, part of the grill blocks the port! It's the only thing I don't like about the new CHT's compared to the older CT's). When both of them are pumping its better than the movie theaters! Matrix Reloaded baby ;)

Anonymous
http://www.adireaudio.com/home_audio/loudspeakers/exact_series/dharman.htm

Anonymous
If you are looking in that price range I can help. How about the Carver Knight Shadow? This sub is incredible, small and very flexible and can produce up to 108 db! $700? Normally $900, I don't mind helping out an audiofile, but you will have to pay for the shipping of around $50. Let me know

Jason
jasonyoung@lvcm.com

jay gillespie
Check out klipsch they have make a 15" subwoofer that is self amped for 800 watts. It cost around 500 bucks maybe a little bit more. If your looking for a 10" I'd go with JBL. Thats what I've got and it sounds great and was really cheap. I'd go with a 10" or 15".
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us