Adcom GFA-7607 - Need some help

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 641
OK guys, I'll need some help.

I tried hard to find an Anthem PVA7 for upstairs HT, because I really liked the sound of it when I heard it in SLC. Then, I wandered into Huppin's One Call (it's the only game here in the audio desert) and heard the Adcom GFA-7607, 7 channel amp into a pair of BA VR 50s. (Very similar sounding speakers to my Ascend 170s.)

The Arcam sounded very good but at $1699 new, it didn't quite fit the remaining budget, which requires that I leave about $600 for my used Fisher tube amp going into my 2 channel system.

Anyway, one of these came up on eBay for $1500, new in the box, but it also had a make an offer choice so I made the guy an offer. Two days later, no response and my offer was going to expire this evening so I emailed him to let him know that I wanted to withdraw it if he wasn't interested to I could bid on another, used amp.

Well, he promptly indicated that he had been out of town, hadn't checked his email and he would be interested in my offer. So, I am now the soon to be proud owner of a very nice, 7.1 multi-channel s.s. amp to add to my HT system.

Here's where I need your help. How best to integrate the amp into my HT. I know that I can use my Denon 3803 as a pre/pro and use the amp out to the Adcom and that's the most common set-up. I know that Art does something different with his set-up, which I believe I understand but I'm not certain if it's necessary if I'm going to have a separate 2 channel system for strict music listening.

Anyway, I will take any and all reasonable advice and explanations for the best set-up and any ideas on what additional interconnects, cables, etc., I'll need to put it together.

Thank you in advance and, as always, you guys are way too nice when you deal with idiot noobies like me. (Even if I am get smarter. No Ed, I'm not buying the Panny to run as a pre/pro. LOL)

P.S. - Yes, I'm done with purchases until, at least, the middle of next year when I may start looking for a real pre/pro to go with this amp and I'll sell off the Denon at that time. It's been a great receiver and a stop gap but I've been hankerin' to go to separates since I started this journey and I just didn't have $4000-$5000 plus the cost of the Ascends to do it right.

(Tim, this does not include Emmas or whatever you might sell me. If the Altecs don't work in the 2 channel system, my wife has already agreed to that purchase if the sound of the Altecs don't work for me.)

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2085
Adcom makes outstanding high value power amps. If it's what you can afford go forth with confidence because it ain't much of a compromise. Their pre amps on the other hand...I don't think so. Congrats Dave you have a "kickin" system.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 182
Can I rent your wife? Strictly for audio approval functions=)

Silver Member

Post Number: 642
Nuck, you need to hear the whole story. It wasn't quite as easy as it sounded. Art, Edster, Jan, Rantz, Peter, John A have been around for the whole story and, trust me, my lovely wife hasn't been all that helpful. But, now that I'm going in this direction, she figures if I get it right the first time, it will last awhile and I'll leave her alone. LOL

So Art, great amps but not pre/pros, huh? Well, before I go in that direction, probably not until middle of next year at the earliest, I'd like to know what you recommend and get some feedback from the rest of the guys. But, it sounds like you would not recommend the GTP 880 to match with this puppy. So, what's your thoughts on a pre/pro?

And, am I correct to simply go with the Denon as my pre/pro and run the Adcom off the amp out function? If so, what connections am I going to need to run it in 5.1 initially, beyond the connections I've already got?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2088
"And, am I correct to simply go with the Denon as my pre/pro and run the Adcom off the amp out function? If so, what connections am I going to need to run it in 5.1 initially, beyond the connections I've already got?"

Yep, run the power amp from the pre outs for main L/R, rear L/R, and center on your Denon. When it comes to the pre/pro I would cross that bridge when you come much can change between now and then.

http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?homeproc&1&ctg&st1

http://www.echohifi.com/current.html

Here are a couple of links. One is for the pre/pro classifieds on Audiogon and the other to a Portland institution Echo Audio's current used inventory page. Echo has a great reputation.

Silver Member

Post Number: 648
Art,

The gentleman I just bought the Arcam CD player from (a professor at Reed College) also recommended Echo's used inventory page and their store in general. That's two big thumbs up so I'll listen, obviously. But, I'm a ways from any more purchases. With the tube amp to pay for yet, I'll be thru the money I raised with the watch sale and art print sale so the wife says I've gotta stop for now.

You still want to borrow her, Nuck?

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 187
Sounds like a reasonable and appropriate partner to me.I have one too!
No need to borrow, I think such a lovely and intelligent woman is the perfect partner in this sometimes looney hobby!

Cheers, Dakulis!

Silver Member

Post Number: 649
Nuck,

Agreed!! Although, sometimes she's just too dang reasonable. Heck, what's another couple of grand on a pre/pro. We don't need to pay the kids' tuition, rent or food for the next couple of months, right? LOL

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 188
and it works as collateral in the worst case, right? That one didn't fly here either. That dog ain't gonna hunt.
Like trying to justify a vocal amp/mic setup to go with my drums. Go figgur.
In steps the voice of reason.
I hate when that happens.

Silver Member

Post Number: 651
LOL.

I feel your pain, bud.

Well, no new pre/pro but you gotta love my Bruins. I leave with them losing 24-3 in the 4th quarter and write them off. They win in overtime to stay undefeated. GO FIGURE is right!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us