Speakers for around $800

Unregistered guest
What would be a good pair of Speakers at this price point? They could be older models,Im using yamaha seperates,I have considered kef 104.2 or vandersteens 2ci or ce seem to get a lot of praise.What else would you reccomend, this will be used in a 2 ch stereo only system.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4171
Have you actually heard the Vandersteen 2ci? Very nice, at least, from my experience. Work with those 2 for now, because, once you start getting more information on other loudspeakers, you will have a hard time trying to narrow things down.

What else is available in your area?

Unregistered guest
Most of the speakers would most likely be aquried from audiogon or online.I was also reading about Paradigm.Any thoughts on those?I am trying to keep it limited to as few as posible.
I have not heard the Vandersteens ,I have not found anyplace in the North east thay is a distributer.
I am looking for a full range floorstanding speaker.I would like something that is close to high end but not anything to out there.
are there any B&W that woud fall in this price range that are not to old?I used to sell the Kef 104.2 and have listened to them extensivly,I always thought they were great with many kinds of music.But they are getting old ,15 to20 years.
Are any newer technology worth looking at newer models?Plus finding Kef 104 for local pickup has proved difficult,thats why I expanding my choices.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2065
Paradigm makes a very good speaker but for $800 their best speaker is the Studio 20 bookshelf speaker. You can also get their Monitor 7 floorstander which is a fine speaker but I think there may be better floorstanders at that price. Bottom line is that there will be compromises to be made in the $800 price range. The question is what are you willing to compromise?

Unregistered guest
Art,Thanks for your reply,Ive read many other of your post here,you have a lot of experience and common sense to your posts.Please keep in mind I am open to the idea of used speakers that may be a few years old.(2 -10)what would be your suggetion of top 5 floor standing speakers,The amp is a yamaha M65,c85 preamp,musical tastes run from blues, to rock, to female jazz vocals.this system will be used with records and cd Nad 521bee.
My favorite speakers Ive heard are kef 104, I like accurate speakers with a good bass(I do not want a sub)

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6337

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/reviews/156699.html

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/170349.html

Username: Ykl

California US

Post Number: 5
If you are looking for a book Shelf speaker and below $800, why not consider B&W DM602 S3. A pair will cost you around $600. Try it out. Bet you will fall in love with it.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2092
Looks like a good buy. The stands are a bit silly.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1135565575

Username: Musicluvr

Post Number: 4
Paul6,

I recently got a pair of NHT ST4's that I really like. They list for $1000/pr. but NHT is coming out with new models, and I got mine for around $750. NHT's new FOUR towers look awesome, but they will be a step up in price range at $1800/pr. list. The ST4's have good solid bass and midrange. They image well side to side and front to back as well. I like the high gloss black lacquer finish, but that is mostly personal taste. The only thing is that they suck up power. Sensitivity is a bit low at 86db. I'm not familiar with your Yamaha amp/pre, but I do have a NAD C542 CD player that is similar to your 521bee. If you get a chance, get an audition to see if they suit you.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 278
if you like jazz vocals, the Paradigm Studio 20 will fit your bill flawlessly! The sound quality of these speakers is something to behold for their price, and will mate with the NAD supremely!

I myself am a jazz, rock, blues, acoustic pop, crossover opera lover, and avid paradigm / magnepan user!

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 595
Blatant self-promotion.
http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/Aria.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Fps_dean

Post Number: 18
Paradigm's are nice.

Check out Infinity Beta 50s on ebay. At $730 a pair after shipping, you cannot go wrong unless you like bright speakers. They are very natural sounding.

Paul6ppc
Unregistered guest
Ive been doing some research Ive narrowed it down,to 4 speakers to listen to,Kef 104/2(i have listened to many times when I sold them)B&W 603 or CDM7,Quad 22L,Vandersteen 2 ce(last place due to size)What are some opinions from anyone that has listened to these ,especially Quad or B&W?
I have yamaha seperates 175 W/ch amp and nad 521 cd player and B&O turntable.These are foe 2 channel music only.Listen taste goes from blues,to rock to jazz .

Thanks for the input!

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1216
The Epos M5 & 12.2 are by far the best Ive heard in this price range,I just bought the 12.2s a week ago my jaw is still on the floor I've been going thru my Cd collection 500+ and I havent stopped yet,it has deffinetly reduced my time on this forum.They retail for $895 and the M5s retail for $650,but you can get both of them cheaper thru AudioWaves and you get free shipping.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 628
More blatant self-promotion.
http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/emma.htm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us