Emma is finally coming

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 560
Emma makes her debut this week. I know a few of you have wondered what was taking so long.
Sorry for the delay.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2693
great! I checked your website and didn't see it yet, but did take a look at the new Aria speaker...INTERESTING!

Would you say the Aria at 40Hz has even better bass than the Lings?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 561
Absolutely. TLs exhibit qualities similar to sealed enclosures when it comes to cone control and "tight" sounding bass. Having the drivers in a bipole configuration adds to this behavior.
The only mention of Emma on the website is on the News page. I'll be adding pictures in the next day or two.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2695
I'm totally unfamiliar with bi-pole speakers other than surrounds (assuming that "di-pole" and "bi-pole" are more or less similar?).

So with the Arias, how far from the rear wall should they be placed?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 562
Bipole = Drivers firing in phase (push-push).
Dipole = Drivers firing out of phase (push-pull) Open baffle speakers are also dipole in which case it's natural for the front sound wave and the rear sound wave to be out of phase.

In my room I found the Arias to work well about 2 feet from the wall, about 7 feet apart and the listening position to be on axis (speakers toed in) at about 9 feet.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 689
Tim,

I stumbled across what I assume is your timn8er.com page. Are their any plans on making and selling the Ruby?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 564
Nice stumble.
Ruby was just a whim. The serious version will be at CES. The plan is to move the second woofer to the rear for a bipole bass box topped by a sealed box containing a mid-range with a planar tweeter. I only have a few weeks left to get it ready. Gotta hustle!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 565
I had a little fun with Ruby recently at a small gathering. There were about 10 people in a 14'x22'x7' room and someone asked to hear Ruby so I played Moby's Jam For The Ladies.
Sometimes I'm just evil.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 566
Emma pics
http://us.alegriaaudio.com/news.htm

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2057
Looks very nice.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2703
Interesting!

Tim, can you detail why you chose an planar tweeter over the supertweeter you have on the Lings? Pros and cons that is.

And is Emma's woofer is full-range?

36Hz low end extension at such a small size is stunning!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 567
Thanks guys.
The woofer is not full range. It does cover a wide range however. It's resonant frequency is 30Hz and can perform very well up to 5kHz. It does exhibit a bit of roughness above 3.5kHz so I chose to roll off before that point. This is the reason for a different tweeter. I went through 4 different tweeters before I settled on this one. I was looking for a certain horizontal dispersion (good off-axis performance) and good extension along with being able to play low enough to blend with the woofer. Some of the tweeters I looked at would roll off before 20kHz or "beamed" too much or would not play well below 5kHz. I looked seriously at the SEAS Excel, which is a wonderful tweeter, but the planar exhibited many of the same qualities for less money allowing me to lower the final selling price of the system. There are many two-way monitors in this price range so I wanted to make sure my design would stand out.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 173
Timn8ter,

Good luck with the new speaker. I was curious about that tweeter as well, but you answered my question.

I do have a question about cosmetics though: have you considered rounding-over the edges on your speakers? Would this be difficut+expensive to do? For my two cents, I think it would make an already good looking speaker look a little less "kit" like. Further, how'bout a "Rosewood" option?

Please keep up the good work.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 635
Tim,

Congrats on the new rollout. I haven't forgotten you. I'm still in the waiting mode to see if the Altecs are going to repair well and if they do if I'm going to like the sound?

If not, I still think that Emma will make an incredible 2 channel listening speaker with great overall range and she will sound fantastic without a subwoofer. So, I might impose again at some point to take a listen, if you've got a pair you could apare for a week or so. Thanks, Dave.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 578
Thanks Dave, just let me know.

Silver Member

Post Number: 637
Tim, you're too dang nice. At some point, I am coming to Seattle and we'll meet and get dinner, my treat, and I can finally see and hear all of these incredible speakers. Thanks again, Dave.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 579
Cool! Dinner at the Met!

Silver Member

Post Number: 638
Dinner with an opera? Oh, Metropolitan Grill. Heck, I could buy speakers for that. LOL!!!!

Anonymous

What the heck kind of lawyer are you Dave? Jeez.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 580
Kinda figured you'd been there before.

Silver Member

Post Number: 639
Tim, been there, done that,

It's my wife's favorite restaurant in Seattle. I think they have the best steaks in Seattle but a friend tells there's a place in Bellevue that's better. I haven't taken him up on that one, yet.

I kinda like McCrory's, too, but I'm willing to be taught. So, I may be able to handle that one night but I'll have to eat at McDonalds the rest of the trip. LOL Lookin' forward to it.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 581
I hope you like Thai food.

I've started a web page for Emma. It still needs some work. Silly me got a new monitor and set it at 1280 x 1024 without thinking that's a little big for the general public.

http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/Emma.htm

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2084
Hey Tim I visit Seattle often and would love to hear your speakers. But if we go out to dinner it'll have to be Dick's....lol. Damn attorney's always have to show up we puny case workers...:-).

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 704
Do you guys have FatBurger out there?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2086
No FatBurger in Oregon that I'm aware of...just fat guys (that would be me) who eat burgers. Dick's is a cool local blahburger chain in Seattle.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 706
"...just fat guys (that would be me) who eat burgers."

LMAO!!! I think we should start a club.

FatBurger just came over this way. It's primarily a West Coast chain. I think their's one in Seattle, or maybe on the way. If you like burgers, this is THE place to go. I've eaten burgers from just about every chain you could imagine, and these are by far the best. The only thing that comes close is In and Out Burger. The double double animal style is a great burger. I haven't heard of Dick's though. If you come across FatBurger, get the King Burger with egg. Fried egg on a burger was a hard sell for me at first, now it's the only way to go.

Sorry to drift off topic, I couldn't resist the burger talk...

Anonymous

How bout Nations or In&Out?

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 707
I mentioned In & Out - The double-double Animal Style is my second favorite. I haven't heard of Nations. Do you mean Nathan's? I consider Nathan's burgers pretty much average.

Another great one is the Western burger from Carl's Jr. Huge patty, BBQ sauce and Onion Rings on a big roll.

The Double Del-Cheeseburger with guacamole from Del Taco is another great one. I usually put a little Del-Scorcho sauce on mine.

The West Coast has great fast food. The East Coast's fast food sucks in comparison. The Southwest is pretty good too, but not like the West Coast.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2087
We gotta Carl's (hate the commercials so I've resisted), I'll have to give it a go.

We also have Del Taco....man I'm gettin' hungry...gotta go! :-)

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 709
Me too...

Anonymous

Posts crossed. Minor detail.

Nations is a diner style burger joint that is pretty good; definately comparable to In & Out. Another burger joint around my parts in California is called Taxi's which is a step up from either. It probably wouldn't qualify as fast food really though.

Another fast food place that is very respectable is Sonics, where you get served by people on roller skates.

As for the Western burger from Carl's Jr, I had a diet of almost nothing but them for a week or so and gained like 10 pounds. They were very delicious though!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2754
> If you come across FatBurger, get the King Burger with egg. Fried egg on a burger was a hard sell for me at first, now it's the only way to go.

When you say "fried" egg are you talking sunny side up? God, that would be a hard sell for me too!

Silver Member

Post Number: 644
No In N Out in Washington or Oregon. They haven't come north, yet, but they've got the best burger.

Dick's Art, now we're talkin', love those burgers. But guys, I'm sorry but the best burger on the West coast, it the original Tommy's in L.A., hands down, ain't no contest!!!

As for Thai, Mr. Tim, I'm a lover, my wife won't go there. So, we'll send the wives someplace fru fru and we'll go for Phad Thai, curry and anything else we can heat up. YUM.

Username: Raj_p

Evanston, IL USA

Post Number: 1
So Tim what the heck is this Emma thing? ;)

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 584
I had hoped you would tell us since you're getting Model 1.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 710
Ed -
The egg is cooked like sunny side up, but the yolk is broken when it goes into the frying pan, and cooked at a higher temp for crispiness. I'm not sure if that's technically a fried egg or not, but that's what I think a fried egg is. Red Robin has a very similar burger if you have that chain restaurant around. They aren't fast food though. FatBurger does taste somewhat fresher, if you will. Egg on a burger is still a hard sell, but after a few recommendations from friends I had to try it. By far my personal favorite. One of those things you just have to try I guess.

Anon -
The Western Burger at Carl's Jr. has to be the epitomy of great fast food. Huge burger with fat grease dripping off of it, BBQ sauce all over, and a couple of onion rings hanging out. I think your two pound per burger average weight gain is pretty accurate. The first time I was in California I ate one everyday for lunch for about a week with very similar results. Their slogan is definately true - "If it's not all over the place, it doesn't belong in your face!"

Another great burger I forgot about - Jack in the Crack as it's so affectionately referred to by the locals - Jack in the Box. I can't remember what their burger is called though. I remember the slogan pretty well though - "We use real beef and chicken because you pay with real bills and coins." The help wanted sign is great too - "Want a job? Call 1-800-420-Jack."

The Northeast is hurting in the fast food burger department. All we really have is McDonald's, Wendy's, and Burger King. Speaking of McDonald's - I was in Maine and saw a Lobster Roll on their menu. I didn't have the balls to go anywhere near that one. As much of a Lobster Roll fan as I am, I don't think Mickey D's could ever pull that one off. That would have to be the worst thing in fast food history.

The NYC area has White Castle which has it's cult following (Beastie Boys), but I think it really sucks. They all suck out here. Thank God for FatBurger.

Anonymous

Jack in the Box has the "Ultimate Cheeseburger", which is also pretty good as far as fast food goes. I like their curly fries too.

I actually used to live on the east coast (Washington, DC area) as well. As far as junk food goes, I think my favorite thing out there was the Pizza Hut buffets. Wendy's probably offered the best tasting burgers that I ever found around there.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 711
Wendy's does have the best burger out here, well until FatBurger arrived anyway. I forgot how bad Pizza is in CA until you just reminded me. In the Northeast, Pizza Hut is very commonly known to be the worst Pizza by a long shot. The buffet isn't a bad deal, but their is far better Pizza. The Northeast could be the Mecca for Pizza. That's another topic though. And, nothing beats Buffalo wings in the Buffalo area. After two years of grad school in Niagara Falls, wings just aren't the same anymore. That's the ONLY thing I miss about that area. You haven't had wings until you've been to the Buffalo area.

Anonymous

Tim: Will Emma have a first order crossover like its siblings? How would you compare the sound of Emma to the Ling Bookshelf (whose main feature that I can gather is its near full range driver)? Also, what kind of sensitivity can one expect from Emma?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 587
Emma is a different beast than Ling. This appears to be the beginning of two distinct lines, neither of which I've coined names for. Maybe something like "Simplicity" or "Purist" for the Ling and Aria, then perhaps "Performance" for the Emma and the like that will follow. Emma uses a 4th order electrical, 6th order acoustical XO. The goal was to have as close to full range frequency response in a small package that could also play at high volume levels. This is a different goal than that for Ling. In accordance with Hoffman's Iron Law, big sound in a small package needs more power. Sensitivity is about 86db/w. Not crazy low but you'll want more than flea power. My trusty 35w/ch EL34 push-pull drives it to satisfactory levels.

Anonymous

Stu: Out here the name of the game for pizza is Amici's East Coast Pizzaria. Mary's Pizza Shack isn't half bad either. Round Table + Pizza Hut are alright. There is another chain out here called Mountain Mike's that has really good pepperoni but the rest of the pizza itself sucks (IMO anyways).

Anonymous

Tim: How will you distinguish Emma from competitors from B&W, Paradigm, et all?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 588
Price/Performance

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 191
Tim, sorry I lost the thread where I asked about the lings coming to the great white north.
Would you consider a pair of Emms instead? Same deal, same cash guarantee, they seem more appropriate to my setup and preferences.

Jamie

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 589
Send me your info at
Info@AlegriaAudio.Com

Evanston, IL USA

Post Number: 2
I definitely plan on posting my Emma impressions. I get them Tuesday

Anonymous

Tim: What specifically about performance, as compared with something along the lines of the Paradigm Monitor 5 for example?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 590
No offense but you're asking me to compare the 2-way Emma to a 3-way speaker that costs twice as much. Additionally, I've made it a policy to not comment on a competitors product, either positively or negatively. I'm at the mercy of the reviewers and consumers.
I will point out the virtues of Emma, however. The mid-woofer is powered by the patent pending XBL^2 motor as are my other speakers. This motor has a very long stroke, an extended motor strength curve, (hence the name), a benign impedance curve and much lower distortion than that of other 6" mid-woofers commonly available. The tweeter is a planar design that has a very smooth, clean response, excellent off-axis performance both horizontally and vertically and benign impedance (actually planars behave like a pure resistance load). I like using even order XOs (with the exception of 1st order of course) so while I could've gotten away with a 2nd order XO I decided to move up to 4th order and significantly reduce the IM distortion potential. All of this adds up to excellent price/performance.

Anonymous

None taken Tim. But IIRC the Monitor 5 is a direct competitor, being priced at ~$550. Perhaps you are thinking of the Studio 40? Either that or I'm a dimwit, which is possible too.

Anonymous

None taken Tim. But IIRC the Monitor 5 is a direct competitor, being priced at ~$550. Perhaps you are thinking of the Studio 40? Either that or I'm a dimwit, which is possible too.

Anonymous

PS: The reason I chose the Monitor 5 for a comparison is because of its similar price, frequency response, solid off-axis response, etc.

Also, I'm not asking you to say anything particularly negative about the Monitor 5. I just want to know what the differences are, and why they exist. I want to know what value your product offers over competitors and specifically what you did differently versus your competitors. If it is solely the XBL2 motor structure, I would be curious as to the IM distortion of the Monitor 5 versus the Emma, among other things.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 592
Now that I've looked again I don't know what I was looking at but you're right, the Monitor 5 is in the same price range.
I think I've said about as much as I can without making direct comparisons to a competitors product which I would prefer not to do.
I believe my choice of components and their implementation provides superior sound to comparable models in this price range. Tons of bass, neutral mids and sparkling highs. The only thing left is to hear them which I understand is challenging due to my company being Internet based.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2765
> The egg is cooked like sunny side up, but the yolk is broken when it goes into the frying pan, and cooked at a higher temp for crispiness. I'm not sure if that's technically a fried egg or not, but that's what I think a fried egg is.

So is the yolk completely solidified by the time you get it, or is it still a little watery? I much prefer watery yolks, nicer taste.

> Another great burger I forgot about - Jack in the Crack as it's so affectionately referred to by the locals - Jack in the Box. I can't remember what their burger is called though.

Oh we do have these here in Houston, and their $1.29 Jumbo Jack is still one of my fave standbys during food emergencies. Way better than any other fast-food burgers (BK, McD's, etc.) mainly because they give you nice fresh lettuce, tomatoes, onion and mayo---simple but good. I like to use the French pronunciation: "Jacque's!"

One of the best burgers I have had is from a mesquite grill chain called Skeeters, it's a huge double meat bacon cheeseburger that fills me up for a whole day and some!

Then there's a classic Greek place called Niko Nikos that has an Athenian mushroom burger: 1/2lb. patty with 1/2 inch thick feta cheese and hot mushrooms, served with hand-cut non-frozen fries!

geez, just thinking about all this has probably made my cholesterol go up! LOL

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1119
Tim I need to get a test run with the Emmas,im highly interrested in them they look like they are right up my alley,for my main listening room get back with me on it on this!

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 201
TW...The emma's may come to the Great White North first, reviewed, and sent on.

Silver Member

Post Number: 653
Tim,

Emma sounds like a completely different beast than the Lings and I'll look forward to hearing her at some time. I think it's time that we start getting your enterprise moving with some purchases as you've been very kind with your time and loan of speakers. So, if my Altecs don't please me, I'll take a pair of the Emmas to try out and buy if they measure up well. And, even if the Altecs do please me, I'd still like to hear them at some point. Thanks Tim, Dave.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 593
Thanks Dave. Sent you a PM.

Evanston, IL USA

Post Number: 7
The anticipation is killing me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 657
Tim,

Sorry I was gone yesterday and still did not receive a PM. I don't know what our server is doing on this end. It's driving me nuts. Anyway, as soon as I know what's going on with the Fisher amp, the ALs and the Adcom CD player, I'll get back to you. Thanks, Dave

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 598
I've sent you two emails also. Did you get those?

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1140
Thats fine Nuck,I look foward to hearing your review on the Emmas.

Bronze Member

Evanston, IL USA

Post Number: 13
Having heard the Monitor 5s as well as the 7s I'd say that these Emmas definitely go deeper and as a result give you a better full-range performance when not used with a sub. The 'digms sound thin by comparison...hollow.

Anonymous

Do you have an SPL meter to measure how low/flat they go?

Bronze Member

Evanston, IL USA

Post Number: 15
I dont have an SPL meter but I can tell you that from what I've played Tim's measurements seem to be accurate. I could hardly tell a difference when my Rocket ULW-10 was on or off (a sub that plays down to about 25). Not much music goes that low.

Silver Member

Post Number: 658
Tim,

I'm sorry, I'm not getting anything. My guess is that I accidentally blocked your email or the domain site sometime and so you now go directly to our server's version of hell. LOL

Anyway, I'll figure it out from an old email and I'll see if I can't unblock you. Thanks, Dave.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us