and a HDMI connection.

Looks like I require a HDMI amplifier or Receiver
or?

Any assist will be much appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 713
It would at least be very beneficial to have an HDTV with a HDMI connection. In Auto 2 play mode with HDMI on the S77 you will get great video performance. You will still be able to connect the audio via analogue cables to a less expensivce receiver, but there is little doubt that you will get top drawer audio perfomance with a receiver with at least HDMI 1.1 capability. I hear the new spec of HDMI 1.2 is coming out now too. So buying a receiver with at least HDMI 1.1 (and hopefully with the cpability of software upgrading to 1.2) would be nice, although might not be critical.

Username: Drybones

Carson City

Post Number: 3
Would absolutley love a HDTV. Because of room size a minimum set would be a 50-55 inch.

Been to Circuit City and Best buy. God but my wallet is way too flat. Retired some 20 years ago and big bucks are not to be had.

Will have to be happy with my Sony 52 inch projection TV. Fairly new, a KP-51HW40 model.

I just purchased the The panasonic DVD in hopes that it will provide surround sound from my DVD's
made on a JVC DR-MV1S recorder.

Should explain that the surround unit in our front room is about 15 years old and is a Mitsubishi HTS-SAT with HTS SUB speaker system.

Stop laughing now. 8^)

Anyway the Mitshbishi is NOT playiong surround from my recorder.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 458
what, the unit doesn't have an RCA coaxial digital out or optical? huh. this is good to know as i was planning on getting one too based on the reviews i've read and to match my panasonic reciever.

let me check this out. ok.. according to panasonic, the unit also offers standard coaxial and optical digital outs too. HDMI would be the best choice though if you listen to higher resolution DVD-A signals as i read somewhere that DVD decks that can do SACD and DVD-A still only pass standard 16/44 CD resolution through coaxial cables but HDMI will pass 24/88 multichannel.

even if the unit didn't have optical and coax digital outs, you could just run the analogue outs into any HT reciever that has multichannel inputs (most do) as mentioned. the only thing there would be that nice cables could get expensive when you're running 8 channels total (7 + sub).

i will say that if you're looking for a reciever, the panasonic SA-XR70 has HDMI in. i own the SA-XR55 without HDMI because i was planning on eventually using it in a biamplification system that required analogue ins and not digital when i got the magnepans it was originally intended for, but i liked the sound so much more than my onkyo that i've decided to keep my old speakers. i thought it was the speakers that were holding my system back, but it was 1st my NAD and then my onkyo recievers. the panasonic kicks butt.

one other note... if you're buying a new reciever... HDMI is a good feature to have as you'll need it when HD-DVDs start coming out in a year or two as they will have higher resolution HDMI outs too likely.

had i known that i would like my system so much better as-is with panasonic's awesomely detailed and relaxed class-d recievers, i would have spent $50 more for the SA-XR70 instead even if i don't have an HDMI DVD player YET. i wish i didn't try to save that $50 now. LOL

i'd say get the SA-XR70 which will sound really nice and be more futureproof.

i feel sorry for all of the people who hate letterboxing so much that they bought 4:3 big screens. they're REALLY going to hate the huge side letterboxing in their entire DVD collection when their set bites the dust and all TVs are widescreen. LOL

i have a 20 year old TV still, but i won't buy anything but widescreen DVDs. plan ahead.

when i bought my panny, i was planning ahead, but i had a different plan. oh well. so if i want to hear 24/96 surround... i'll just have to buy a bunch of RCA cables.

Carson City

Post Number: 4
Many thanks for your most detailed and timely reply.

I shall see where the best prices are for the Panasonic SA-XR70S Receiver. Any ideas?

Again, many thanks budget minded.

Silver Member

Post Number: 466
no problem BD

go to a comparison shopping engine or two

dealtime
shopping.com
epinions
nextag
pricegrabber etc.

many of them even let you get price as delivered quotes right there in the comparison. you enter your zip code, then you get final prices right there without ever having to visit each website individually.

beware of the very lowest price though. often, you will see that vendors with the lowest prices also have the lowest ratings (eg. 3 stars out of 5)

i paid about $10 more for my panny (sales tax for a store in my state) because it's rating was a full star higher (4 1/2 vs. 3 1/2) than another store without sales tax and the same price to be safe.

i got it delivered in just 2 days without a hitch. (digitalfoto)

i might be cheap, but $10 isn't worth the hassle of dealing with a "we'll send it when we send it" shop.

you should be able to find a decent deal if you try several shopping comparison sites and you'll own a reciever that sounds awesome.

just give it some time to break in. mine sounded better after just 8 hours or so.

everyone i've seen that bought a panny loves it. hope to hear a happy ending to your story too.

Silver Member

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 717
As your Sony TV doesn't have HDMI capability it won't be able to take advantage of the Panny's HDMI's video output--even if you get a receiver with HDMI. I hope your Sony at least has component inputs and as most receivers have components inputs/outputs, that will be the best you can get from your set-up.

Too bad, because the Panny 77 in auto 2 HDMI output has better video output performance than most super expensive dvd players.

But you should be able to get fine performance anyway, even if it isn't the best that the 77 can provide.

Silver Member

Post Number: 474
the HDMI output isn't JUST for video. it does high rez audio too.

i wish i bookmarked the URL of the story i read that stated that most (not all though) DVD-A and SACD DVD players will only send CD quality 16/44 audio through coxial digital, but you could send a reciever 24/88 multichannel through HDMI. otherwise, you'd have to use a player's onboard D/A coverters sent via analogue interconnect to get full resolution audio.

if you were only sending video via HDMI, sending it into a reciever and then back out doesn't make sense. just send the HDMI straight to the TV without having to buy an extra cable and add more electronics to the signal.

HDMI = high rez video AND audio too. and as i said, it's good planning for the future. when HD-DVD comes out with either 24/96 X 7 or 1/192 X 7 (or both) you can forget using coaxial digital unless you don't want to take advantage of higher quality audio.

Carson City

Post Number: 5
It looks like I need an infusion of green backs before I can purchase the Panasonic SA-XR70.

Bummer, but being a positive person in all ways, I am sure that the Panasonic SA-XR70 will be atop my living room array of units above the Sony TV. 8^)

Many thanks for your continued assistance,
drybones

Silver Member

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 718
HDMi does send hi rez audio too, but you must make sure that the dvd player and the receiver both have the latest HDMI iterations (at least 1.1 or 1.2), otherwise you just get HDMI in stereo. The video will always be fine, but you always will need an HDTV with HDMI input (or at least a DVI input you can put a HDMI to DVI attachment to).

I have a couple of HT systems and on one I connect the HDMI from my Pioneer Elite 59avi to my HDTV for top drawer video (as the player also upconverts) and connect the i-link (firewire) from the 59avi player to the Pioneer Elite 59txi receiver for all the audio. What is great about the i-link hook-up is that the receiver automatically recognizes the disc format (whether cd, dvd-v, dvd-a, sacd, etc.) and plays it in stereo for cd and surround for the others (unless I decide to alter the cd to surround and alter the others with various DSP's).

Anyway I love the idea of i-link (firewire) and HDMI. Nothing like one wire that reads digital perfectly, rather than spending money on numerous analogue cables, none of which can ever perform as well.

As Frodo overheard Evil Lord Sauron say to Ray Kimber, Noel Lee, and George Cardas at the analogue cable company convention about i-link and HDMI:

One wire to rule them all
One wire to find them
One wire to bring them all
And in the darkness bind them :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 478
even if your set doesn't have HDMI, you could send HDMI to the reciever for audio only and whatever other video signal to your set that it shares with the player
s-video
RGB
S-CART etc.

even... gasp coax! LOL

before you shrug your shoulders with that setup... try coax + RF modulator! *shudder* that's my "state of the art video system for ya.

seeing that i already own an outdated video system and have to live with it... planning for the future is very important to me. besides, i hate having to keep buying new gear to keep up with compatabilities.

don't get me started on PCs and software! LOL

Carson City

Post Number: 6
GRIN! I know your pain. With Obilvion (Elder Scrolls 4) on it's way I am concerned about my ATI Radion 9800 Pro (R350) video card being able to run it.

Should know in a couple of weeks. I hope.

Silver Member

Post Number: 489
it's a vast conspiracy i tell you!

i'm running this
98se/300MHz/128MB/20GB/1.2GB/56K
dinosaur into the ground before i ever upgrade, and when i do... it'll be a mac mini. apple has FINALLY produced a computer that can communicate with the outside world (try to upgrade soundcards on an original imac... not) and for less than $1500! $500 isn't shabby.

still... i can't even buy a simple fonts disc for this PC anymore. cakewalk had some DJ software that would work on it as recently as 2003, but now they don't and refuse to authorize any used software that someone buys on ebay for an older PC!

the whole INDUSTRY is corrupt, but thank goodness for intrepid freeware developers. my audacity multitrack recorder works just fine. i've used it to draw ticks and pops out of several old 12" discs already as well as trim dead air off of CD tracks that i rip with audiograbber... another handy freebie. i've only toyed with mixes so far.

where there's a will... there's a way, unless you're a high end gamer. LOL online poker is as high end as i get.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us