Lightning struck! Need new amplifier

Username: Jcannonrn

Post Number: 1
Lightning struck our house and took out a LOT of electronics, including my old Denon PMA-757 amplifier and old JBL speakers. The insurance company gave me $1475.57 to replace both. I spent 2 long nights reading the posts for speakers (thanks for all the great info) and am now convinced to try a pair of Ascend CBM-170 with an HSU STF-1 sub, for a grand total of $655. This leaves me with $820.57 for an amplifier. I'm not sure which amplifier to pair them with. These will be used 100% for music, ranging from old blues to new alternative. They are located in the living room which is just for music and books and is about 13'x15'. My husband would like it if I didn't spend the entire $850 so if there is an amplifier that will be "good enough", I'm willing to spend less. I also have an old Denon TU-747 tuner, Phillips CDR800 CD recorder, Technics SLPD8 CD changer, and an old Denon DP62L turntable. I don't really listen to the vinyl much but want the ability to. You guys know WAY more about all of this than I can ever hope to know so I'm hoping you can give me some direction. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 709
You might try going to audiogon.com or ebay and browse the integrated amp section for good used models. If you plan on just listening to stereo (fortified by your subwoofer), then a nice integrated amp should be perfect for your needs. Just make sure the integrated amp has phono capabilities (at least for magnetic phono), or a phono module can be added.

I've seen Arcam Alpha 10 for $510 used (needs a phono module for LP playback) and an Arcam Alpha 9 for around $200, which also needs a phono module.

I am sure there are models from Rotel, NAD, Creek, etc. too.

Of course, if you have plans for surround sound then your needs will be much different.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us