Some help with Yamaha RX V590

Username: Foerama

Post Number: 1
I bought a sub woofer for my Yamaha RX V590, but it does not have the place to plug it in. Can anyone help me to figure out how to do that? It would be great if you could tell me by email at foerama@yahoo.com

I would really appreciate it.

Regards,
Fuad Rakhman

Bronze Member
Username: Turbodog

Post Number: 26
According to the manual I downloaded from Yamaha, there is a set of RCA jacks labeled "Output", above the front speaker terminals, to the right of the center/surround terminals. The bottom center jack is labeled "Low Pass for 200 Hz". This is the line-level subwoofer output. You need a powered subwoofer, and this is the output to use with it.

Some subs also have speaker-level inputs, where you route your main speaker wires to the sub, then connect the main speakers to the sub as well. The sub has a crossover to take the low frequency signal out of the main speaker circuit and direct it to the sub amp.

HTH

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6139

The 200 Hz output is when the amplifier is used with a Yamaha "Superwoofer"; which is not a subwoofer at all. The 200Hz crossover point will let a traditional subwoofer play too high in the frequency band and the physical position of the sub will be quite obvious (an undesirable effect). Use the speaker outputs and run to the high level (speaker level) inputs on a powered subwoofer. If the sub is passive (no built in amplification) still run from the speaker outputs to the sub. This connection allows the proper Xo point and will adjust volume on the sub and the main speakers simultaneously.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
From the manual:

ADDING A SUBWOOFER:
You may wish to add a subwoofer to reinforce the bass frequencies.
Connect the LOW PASS terminal to the INPUT terminal of the subwoofer amplifier, and connect the speaker terminals of the subwoofer amplifier to the subwoofer.
With some subwoofers, including the Yamaha Active Servo Processing Subwoofer System, the amplifier and subwoofer speaker are in the same unit.

So, I would beg to differ with Mr. Vigne. This output is suitable for any powered subwoofer, not just a specific Yamaha component. I do agree that a 200 Hz XO is unlikely to be optimum with your main speakers, so hopefully your subwoofer has an adjustable low pass filter built in. Both of my subs do.
If the speaker-level connection is more desirable or convienient for you, by all means use it. But don't avoid using the line-level connection just because of the post above.

HTH

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6141

I didn't mean to imply the output would only work with the Yamaha Superwoofer. Of course the output could be used with any amplifier or powered subwoofer if you are not concerned with the output running up to 200Hz. But, the output was intended by Yamaha to run with its own product which is not a subwoofer; it "reinforces" the bass from the Yamaha speakers they also wanted you to buy as a system.

Consider that a 200 Hz Xo point is not a brick wall filter. Depending on the nature of the unspecified roll off of the output from the Yamaha amp, a 200 Hz Xo point will give output to frequencies above the 200Hz figure. If the roll off is an average 12dB per octave, there will be input to the sub as high as 300Hz before being down enough to consider negligible. That's a lot of information being sent to the sub.

With no spec on the roll off of the LP filter for that output, you might find a bit of a roller coaster frequency response when combined with the LP filter in your sub. As a rule, when the low frequency effects channel output is used the sub's Xo control is set too max to avoid this problem. It's true you can use the sub's LP filter to adjust the roll off of the sub; that's why it's there. But you have no idea what the final overall roll off will be when you combine two filters at different Xo points (one from the Yamaha amp and the other in the subwoofer).

My suggestion, given the disagreement above, would be to try one of three things. 1) Use the speaker level outputs and only the Xo in the subwoofer for the best control over the action of the LP filter. 2) Try both hook ups and let your ears decice which is best. 3) Call the manufacturer of the subwoofer you purchased and ask for their suggestion. They know their product better than anyone else. Tell them the Yamaha output is set to cross at 200Hz.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Well said. No more disagreement... :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us