MCIntosh XL10 speakers

Username: Dishstream

Post Number: 3
Hi everyone:

I have recently bought a pair of mcIntosh XL10 speakers very cheap, the boxes are in excellent condition, and woofers also sound good, but tweeters are missing(I tried other tweeter but did not work, I checked with the multimeter but there is no current at the tweeter terminal,meaning that there is some thing wrong with the crossover, which is quite complecated for me. so I thought I should change the crossover, and use a new pair of tweet. I checked on internet and found some info., which says the crossover frequency is:

Crossover frequencies: 90Hz and 1kHz
Now the speaker has 1" tweet.(missing), 8" woofer, and 10" passive radiator( just a disk which can move , and mounted with a surround)

SO my questions is there are 2 Xover frequencies, when there are only 2 drivers, if the woofer is taking blow 90Hz and tweet. above 1K, so we are not listening to frequencies b/w 90Hz and 1Khz.

if I want to choose a Xover frequency for a new Xover what it should be.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6126

How'bout we consider this; the 90Hz is where the PR takes over in support of the 8" woofer. The woofer then x's to the tweeter at 1kHz. Which is a surprisingly low frequency for a 1" tweeter to operate down to.

If it were me, I would not second guess McIntosh. Get the Xo repaired and buy the driver Mac used. Repairing the Xo is going to be cheaper than buying two new Xo's with unknown qualities for unknown drivers. You don't know whether Mac used an type of frequency shaping in the Xo; so why not just get the existing unit fixed? As to the tweeter, if you get the Xo repaired, you will need to get the Mac tweeter as most 1" tweeters will not operate at 1kHz and you will destroy whatever you buy as a replacement.

If you don't want to do this, what's the point of having 1/2 of a pair of McIntosh speakers that you don't know anything about to begin sticking new drivers and Xo's into? You cannot just begin replacing drivers and Xo's and hope to have a good result if you don't understand and know the specs for what you're dealing with.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 650
To add to Jan's comments, McIntosh is one of the best companies around for support of their products. I'd try to contact them - either by phone or e-mail - and see what they have to say. I also wouldn't bring the speakers to just anyone to look at them. Check to see who McIntosh recommends in your area. McIntosh may even be able to repair the speakers for you themselves. I'm pretty sure that they repair/restore vintage electronics to original factory specs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us