Athena Technologies AS-B1 for $99. Pro's & Con's

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 134
Read only good things about these speakers. What to they excel at, and what are they lacking? What's their competition? Do they have any at this price?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 135
Can they be compared in any way to more expensive speakers like Epos ELS-3's?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2548
The 1" tweeters are very nice, and the woofers pack a surprising amount of mid-bass. They destroy the Polk R15s and R20s which are in the same price league, and of course the likes of Sony, Pioneer, etc. that you find at big box places. Not sure how they'd compare to the $160 Infinity Primus 150s though, these are the other highly regarded low-budget speaker.

However, the B1s will have more tipped up highs than a good neutral speaker like the Ascends which cost 3x more. Neither one is likely to ever be called "warm"---if "warm" is what you're looking for.

I would expect the Epos to be better from what I've read but hey at 3x the price they better be.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 137
But I really want the Paradigm Studio 20's though???...Maybe I should just save up.

Need to hit lotto!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2552
the Studio 20s are what, $600/pair? I'd stock up on the macaroni and cheese if I were you, lol.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 252
Save Up....For the Paradigms...clear, sweet and warm. Got a friend that has them driven by a NAD. He plays clasical music...Don't know what they would do with rock or pop music.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 140
How much do they pay you for blood? Do you really need two kidneys?

Bronze Member
Username: Nalow

Lincoln, Ne USA

Post Number: 11
I hear you... With a house payment and two car payments, groceries, electricity, cable, bla bla, I can only dream of owning some of this stuff..

And oh yeah, MARRIAGE is a factor in these decisions too... lol ;)

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 253
Hey, for $99 bucks get the Athenas then. I'd pay a little more and move up to the AS-B2.2s...or better yet the AS-F1.2s for the better bass response.

ALWAYS check return policies for online sales

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 651
"How much do they pay you for blood? Do you really need two kidneys?"

I know where you're coming from. In grad school, I contemplated going to a sperm bank, sorry, a fertility clinic to get some money for a McIntosh integrated amp. They pay pretty well. The down side is that you have to basically sign a contract for several deposits, and can't do your own thing on the side so to speak. My girlfriend at the time - now my wife - didn't think it was a good idea, for obvious reasons.

I never ended up getting the McIntosh. Sometimes I can't help but wonder what could have been if I had a little more self control...

Silver Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 102
ummmmmkay....too much infor stu

Anyway. I owned a full athena setup for sometime. I really liked them but used a yammie so the sound was very bright and that was my first real exposure to audio.

Needless to say I've been trying to adjust to the warmer sounds from fluance and pioneer elite.

The Athenas are great speakers, There really isn't any downside to them. Unless you use a bright receiver, then you may not like the sound too much.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 142
How do the Athena AS-B1s @ $99. compare to Wharfedale Diamond 8.1s @ $136.?

Silver Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 104
I really couldnt tell you, Best buy stopped carrying Wharfdale before I worked there, so I never got the chance to demo them side by side.

I know that wharfdales diamond series is pretty highly regarded and a good amount of people like them.

I would go with the athenas, what receiver are you going to match which ever speaker you go with?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2555
Actually the Diamond 8 series is not that great.

The newer 9s are supposed to be much better though.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 143
This is all academic, I don't think I'll be buying a pair of Athenas. I've just read so many good things about them @ $149., that @ $99. it might be worth buying a pair...just in case.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 254
Yea...initially had my Athena AS-F2s hooked up to a Yamaha...very metallic...the NAD is great.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 255
The Rotel with the AS-F1s is good too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us