Which Speakers

Bronze Member
Username: Hogwild

Post Number: 12
I'm looking for home theatre/audio speakers to support 7.1.

I'm looking to keep the cost under $4000.00 Cdn

I'm comparing Axiom, Paradigm (monitor) and Energy (referrence connosor).

They all sound pretty good to my somewhat untrained ears.

What would you recommend and why?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2538
Probably the Paradigms, very good value.

The Axioms are said to be bright. A better Internet-direct speaker which compares well to Paradigm: ascendacoustics.com just read their review section and you'll see why. Outstanding value, and their neutrality and detail is especially ideal for HT though no slouch at music either.

Bronze Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 95
I would go with Axiom over Paradigm. One of our local dealers has them and they sounded thin I guess. They were using a marantz receiver with it. Never heard the Axioms before, but they are going to be my next purchase.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 250
Caution Eric...I tried the Axiom M50Ti's and I could definitely hear coloration in the midrange due to the aluminum woofers. It's the same sound you hear when you tap on the woofer with your finger. The floorstander was difficult to place in the room because it has a front AND a rear port. Bass was weak. I must say, the tweeter is very sweet and pleasant. The cherry finish vinyl was not very realistic compared to genuine cherry furniture in my room. I sent them back to the tune of $50+ from Michigan to New York. If you do decide to buy them, go for the factory discounted seconds. I could not find a single cosmetic flaw on either of them. But really, there are so many speakers in the Axiom price range and below that you can actually listen to, so why take a chance.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
Wow, rick thanks for the heads up on the Axioms. Im surprised at the sound your talking about! After all the reviews ive read i would have thought differently but thanks for the warning.

Even though I have fluance right now, im always shopping for speakers lol

I was listening to some different Paradigms earlier and i wasnt too impressed with those.

Could you elaborate on the coloration you heard a little more?

thanks

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1937
Paradigm would be and was my choice. Just heard that Energy line the other day. Wasn't with the best electronics, HK and Yamaha AVR's but even at that they sounded very good. Well balanced with good detail. It would be nice to know what models you are looking at and what is the budget. Forget the Axioms, not worth buying them just to return them. Also I wouldn't just limit myself to those brands there are a lot of great speakers oot there. JM Focal Labs, PSB, Tannoy etc. etc.....

Bronze Member
Username: Hogwild

Post Number: 13
Thanks.

The Paradigm monitor speakers cost about $1000.00 less than the Energy referrence connoisseurs I had also listened to. That may help me decide.

I have a question about surrounds.

Do dipole/bipole speakers make much better rear surround speakers than bookshelf speakers?

Bookshelf speakers will fit my room better - but I could work around it.

I appreciate all opinions and reasons.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2547
di/bi-poles surrounds are said to be better for HT and bookshelves for music, so depends on your usage needs.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 251
When I tapped on the Axiom aluminum woofers, the sound was a high, dry sound not a low dull thud. Since the M50Ti is a two way design, this "sound" is in the midrange band covered by the woofer. You can surely hear it in the music.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 949
Hogwild

As you're in Canada you really should have a look at the Totem range. I think their lower end stuff would fit comfortably within your price range.

If you want truly sub/sat, you could look at M&K.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1948
I use bookshelf speakers for rears for a number of reasons, but mostly for versatility. You can never use the di/bipole speakers for mains (in case something happened to your fronts) or if you switched speakers. Also as Edster said for multichannel music they are better. I can think of no good reson to spend more for them.

Bronze Member
Username: Soundideas

Post Number: 38
SDAT SB-E639 speakers.......these are the best VALUE in speakers on the market today........

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
ummm ya thanks for YOUR opinion....but i disagree.

"value" is subjective.

My ferrari is the best Value car out there.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us