Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 vs. PSB Alpha B

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 112
Is this a slam dunk? The CBM-170's cost $330. & the Alpha B's about $200. is the CBM-170's worth the extra $130? Reviews seem to be comprable. I have not heard either of these, so I'm flying blind (or deaf in this case).

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1903
The PSB Alpha B is nothing special so if the Ascend is even a bit special it would be better.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1904
Why not look into the Alegria Audio Ling's. If I were in the market for a speaker in that price range I would order the Ling's in a heartbeat. I've not heard them but many ears that I have come to trust or at least understand their preferences have. If they're bad I would send 'em back but I'd bet money-to-marbles that they are fabulous.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 644
I haven't heard the Ascends, but I would say a fair comparison would be the PSB Image B15 at $350. The Image series is very good, the Alpha is a good speaker for it's price, but nothing special as Art pointed out.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 582
Christopher,

Art's got a point on the Lings. I own the CBM 170s and I've heard Tim's Lings.

But, I would need to know more about what you're driving them with, whether you're using them for HT or music, primarily, the size of your listening room, preference in music, do you have a powered sub and what other components do you have? Answer these questions and maybe, I can give you some semi-intelligent thoughts. Dave

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 131
This thread stems from this thread:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/166283.html

2nd System, Music-Only, Small Room (carpet), NAD C740

I'd like to expand this discussion to include the following speakers:

Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 vs. Epos ELS-3

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 584
I believe that the NAD is more likely to like the Lings than the Ascends but I like Ed's idea of trying them both and I think I paid about $18 to send a pair back and you keep the winner. Not a bad way to go.

Also, the Lings go a little lower on the bass than the CBMs, which need a powered sub for bass heavy music. But, give them both a listen or add a third for even more fun.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us