New Stereo System 2: Sony vs. KLH

Bronze Member
Username: Kidstereo

Post Number: 19
Hello, guys. I have finally narowed down my speaker choices to two. Either the Sony SS-MF750H or the KLH 9250B. However, I still feel stuck. Which speaker has more bass? The KLH or Sony? The reason why I ask this is because one day, I decided to do a side by side comparison with my Sony hedphones and KLH bookshelf speakers. Believe it or not, the Sonys had a smoother sound than the KLH's when connected to the same receiver. However, I need to know. Are the KLH towers any different? In other words, do the KLH 9250B's have more bass than the Sony's? I also need to know how durable the KLH's are. Are they easy to blow? Sorry if I sound like a damn question machine, but I am still kind of lost.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2483
Jesus, that's like asking what's better, being stabbed or shot.

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 485
"Which speaker has more bass?"
Theoretically the KLH. In the real world you may or may not notice the difference. Either way a quick fix would be to add a subwoofer.

"Are they easy to blow?"
If you abuse the hell out of them, yes. If you play them at resonable volumes and with suitable amplification, they will probably survive.

"Believe it or not, the Sonys had a smoother sound than the KLH's when connected to the same receiver. "
Some say headphones provide the best bang for the buck in all of audio. No big shock there.

Silver Member

Post Number: 486
"Jesus, that's like asking what's better, being stabbed or shot."

More like a Geo Metro versus a Yugo.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Thanks for your help, guys. By the way, do you think that a Sherwood receiver will provide suitable amplification for the KLH's?

Also, headphones do NOT always provide bandg for the buck in all of audio. One time, I had a smaller pair of Sony headphones, and they sounded harsh and bright at any given volume level.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 626
a pair of sony headphones is not by any stretch a good set of headphones. maybe senhieser however it is spelled.

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1240
Edster, condescension is beneath you.

The MOFO has spoken.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2494
LOL!

Silver Member

Post Number: 487
Matt: Try a pair of Grado SR-60's for ~60 bucks or so. You'll see what I mean.

Besides how much did those really crappy Sony headphones cost you? Do you think a conventional pair of speakers at that price would have done better?

Username: Nalow

Lincoln, Ne USA

Post Number: 8
I had a pair of KLH towers... They sounded OK, but then again, they had 15" woofers.

I've never owned a pair of Sony speakers, so I can't say which is better.

You know, you could buy one pair and try them out, if you don't like the sound, take them back!

Silver Member

Post Number: 488
"Thanks for your help, guys. By the way, do you think that a Sherwood receiver will provide suitable amplification for the KLH's? "

Depends on your room size, how far away you will sit from your speakers, and how much volume you are looking for. Best way to find out is to try playing music at the highest volumes you would ever want to use. If you begin to notice distortion, turn it down a few notches so that you are comfortably inside your receivers operating ability. That will be the highest you want to turn it up. If that isn't enough, then the amplification is not suitable :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1241
Neither Sony nor KLH speakers would be considered by serious music lovers; mid-fi sound quality at best. Not sure what model you have in mind, but Sherwood sounds like your price range, judging by your speaker choices. Sennheiser or Grado. Any other headphone is a compromise. With those speakers, a decent pair of headphones would be a necessity in my view.

The MOFO has spoken.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2496
Dale,

this is a little OT here but you seem to know a lot about headphones, which I really don't. What would you recommend for under $100?

Silver Member

Post Number: 489
Eddie: Do you want sealed or open?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1894
AKG also makes great headphones.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1244
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro-right at or below $100.

The MOFO has spoken.

Bronze Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 79
"Jesus, that's like asking what's better, being stabbed or shot"

hahahahahahahahahahaha

Colonic vs pissing blood

Gold Member

Post Number: 2498
DA,

whatever sounds the best relative to pricepoint.

Long-duration physical comfort would be nice too, I had some of those ear-hook Sony headphones that started to hurt my ears after about an hour or so.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2499
Thanks guys, I'll look into the AKG k240 and the Sennheiser 280 then.

Silver Member

Post Number: 494
Well I own the Sennheiser 280 and it does sound pretty good. They are a sealed design which blocks a resonable amount of outside sound. I wouldn't want to keep them on for much longer than a couple hours straight though.

I would also look at the Grado SR-80 to give yourself some options to look at. They offer pretty solid sound quality for the price.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2503
Are headphones characterized along the same lines as speakers? by which I mean are some seen as "bright," "warm," "neutral," etc.? Are any of these characteristics usually associated with sealed vs. open designs?

Are there any rough generalizations that can be made about the "sound" of Grado vs. Sennheiser vs. AKG?

As for the Senn 280, a couple of 5 star reviews on Amazon mentioned that they can be a bit tight/uncomfortable if you have a bigger than average noggin. Which I do, unfortunately!

Silver Member

Post Number: 496
AFAIK open designs typically have deeper bass response versus sealed. Sealed has its obvious advantages though in blocking outside noise.

For the 280's I would describe them as neutral to bright. When I first got them, I found them to be very fatiguing; fortunately after a day or two this largely went away. They are a bit more detailed than my main speakers (CSW Model Six), and have solid bass response for my tastes. However, as I said, I wouldn't listen to them for more than a couple hours before needing a break, while I don't have that problem with my speakers. For a sealed design under 100 bucks though, I don't think it has any real competition.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Guys, I don't use my headphones for everyday listening. I usually use them when I feel like lisatening to some music while going places with family, etc. I am not as picky about headphones as I am about speakers. The only things that I look for in headphones are treble silkiness and comfort.

Therefore, I need to know which of these pairs of speakers are better in terms of bass quanity, reliability, and treble quality (bright, crisp, or warm). I know that these speakers are not high-end, but I do not have a high-end budget(I attend college part-time and work part-time at a supermarket), and the Ascends probably won't do me much justice according to my tastes, since I was told that they have no bass but good treble and midrange. I know, "add a sub," but actually, I would like a pair of towers and a sub. I am that hungry for bass.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2507
then get the Athena AS-F2.2, $400/pair shipped from audioadvisor.com

or cheaper: jbl e60, $300/pr. shipped, vanns.com

under that price range you're going to get garbage.

well, maybe the Fluance towers might be ok...from $150/pair to $300/pair at fluance.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
Bass wise, the fluance are ok......sub really helps though.

The fluance towers are a great speaker if youre on a tight budget. Just match it with a good receiver and some decent cables and you'll be fine.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 633
he could always go SDAT!! get em cheap at overstock.com.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
yes he could go that route too. But if he was comparing sony vs klh, then he isnt too picky on the sound.

Fluance sounds very comparable to athena if you match it with a marantz or pioneer or hk receiver.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 649
apparently he does care about sound but frankly has a retarded choice of speakers. he might as well get a couple set of sdats and blast away. what he asks for is impossible. he wants deep bass towers under like $300 with a good deep sub under $200 with a good warm sounding receiver under $200. getting tired of seeing him ask for something that cant be delivered.

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
yep....oh well he weill eventually spend the money to get the equipment he wants.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Yes, Christopher Lee, I know that my choice of speakers is retarded. But guess what? My budget is also retarded, so, what choice do I have?

Also, I am picky about sound. I'm just not as picky as you audiophile counterparts. What I usually look for in a stereo system is lots of bass and warm-to-neutral highs. I'm not actually the type of person who sits down square in one spot and critiques each recording. I might listen to music while, say, surfing the Net or playing video games.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
As for you, Devils Advocate, those Sony headphones cost me $99 a pair.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
I also need to let you guys know, that I just found out in another post in this forum that SDAT is a White Van Scam company, so, sorry, but I am afraid that I cannot go with those.

I actually just want a stereo system that's better than my JVC HX-GX7 shelf system. Preferably, I want tower speakers and a sub.

Anonymous

sorry Matt, you are a complete retard. Please stop wasting our time with your idiotic postings.

Maybe Santa Claus will come and make all your wishes come true...

Anonymous

btw you and that JVC piece of sh*t really deserve each other.

Silver Member
Username: Shantao

Post Number: 127
Matt;

I have heard both of these speakers, and for what it's worth, the KLH 9250's definitely have more bass than the sony's. My next door neighbour's son had a pair of those very KLH's at college and abused the hell out of them for 4 years and they still work so I am guessing that they are fairly durable.

Be careful if you are going to need to put the klh's near the tv, as they are not shielded.

Good luck

Lincoln, Ne USA

Post Number: 9
If you're on a tight budget, go to ebay and check out the YAMAHA HTR-5440 receiver. You can get it for under $100. I have it, and have been using it for over 3 years. No problems whatsoever, it's been great little receiver.
BUT, if you can afford it, look at the Panasonic SA-XR55S from AMAZON.

Buy yourself a pair of FLUANCE AV-F3 tower speakers For $150. (Check ebay first, then Fluance's website)
NEXT, go to partsexpress dot com and get the Dayton 12" subwoofer for $150.
There you go!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2549
Not so sure about the Yammie being "warm" but I agree with Andrew's other suggestions.

Lincoln, Ne USA

Post Number: 10
Yeah, the Yamaha can be a little "tinny" sometimes, but overall it does a decent job at what it was intended for.
It's your no-frills, 5.1, DTS, Dolby Digital receiver. :-)

One of these days I'll upgrade... Hopefully soon. lol

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 651
matt, you are planning for one year ahead. in that one year some models will be discontinued, new models will be released and your whole decision process now will be down the tubes. your budget may change, your tastes may change, your needs may change. what i criticize your choices is that the speakers suck now, 5 years from now they will still suck. i spent like two years just browsing through speakers and stuff before i finally bought my B&W 601s. these are over 10 years old and i bought them at close to retail price. why? because they were good 10 years ago and are still pretty good today. instead of wasting your money on things that will always be crap and you will throw out in a couple years, spend some extra money on something worthwhile.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us