Pro Audio vs home audio need ur opinion

Username: Sammisra

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I am about to buy an amp purely for stereo applications. I listen to all sorts of music though maybe a bit more of trance and world music.
I want to know this.. what is the difference in sound between a home audio amp ( say a NAD 218 200 wpc) and a pro audio amp ( say a QSC or Crown amp rated 200 wpc)
I know that pro audio may be built to last and lack features but would just like to know if there is any inherent difference in the sound quality

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5950

Typically the difference in sound quality is determined by the class of operation when looking at consumer vs. sound reinforcement gear. The consumer product will have been biased closer to a Class A or AB1 operation. Many consumer amps will run in Class A for a per centage of their lower wattage output; switching to Class AB only for the higher wattage output. Sound reinforcement amplifiers need the extra wattage and are less concerned that someone will be sitting down to listen to music with the same critical ear as the home version. These amps will often run Class AB2 or even straight Class B operation. The difference between the various classes of operation relate to the point where a push pull amplifier switches one output device off and the opposite polarity device is switched on. The resulting distortion is called notch or crossover distortion and can be quite irritating to some people. Additionally, if you feel amplifiers do sound different even when specs are similar, the consumer device probably uses different output transistors and gain stages that were chosen for their sound quality. The pro amp is more concerned with reliability.

If you are unfamiliar with "class of operation in a push pull amplifier", put that into a search engine and read up before you make your purchase.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 130
Dude, my kid has a 32w guitar amp that drowns out everything in the house including the fish!
Pro and band stuff will sound like the Jimi Hendrix Experience right in you ear(seePaul)under Huh? in the dictionary.

It will destroy even 'Beth'.

Buy normal stuff

$4.98 change

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 429
pro gear is aimed more at brute force (typically through crappy speakers with cheap piezo tweeters) where home gear is aimed more at finesse.

look more carefully at those "pro amps", most of them include noisy cooling fans. how "hi-fi" friendly is that? 30dB is a huge dent in your s/n ratio.

older crown gear used to be "state of the art" but now it's more about the power. if you DO get a pro amp, make sure to get one with passive cooling (huge external heat sinks)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us