How to add sub

behind times
Unregistered guest
Ok...i have an old 80w receiver no inputs for sub...how do i add a sub?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5927

Speaker wire probably. What type of subwoofer do you have?

behind times
Unregistered guest
don't have one yet...but will i hook it up to the B-speaker side? or do i run the speaker wire to the sub and then to the two regular speakers? Sorry really novice here...thanks for the elementary assistance...need the basics

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5928

Yes.

The correct answer depends on your speaker, your sub, your room and your tastes. The most common thing to find in subs now days are powered subwoofers with their own amplifiers. These take a speaker line in (usually, make certain anything you buy has this provision). You can either run you current speakers full range or roll them off in the lows by using the crossover circuitry built into the sub's plate amplifier. If you buy a passive sub, you can run it from your existing amplifier's speaker outputs.

Most people consider the powered sub a good choice since you can roll off the lows from your main speakers and they have less work to do. In theory this means they will be cleaner in the range they cover. Try a sub and see what you think. A decent audio shop can help you along. What's the budget?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5938

http://www.audioc.com/library1/subprimer.htm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us