Three-Way Speaker Recommendations

Username: Jazzman161

Post Number: 1
Hey guys. First post, so please bare with me. Did some snooping around and this seems like a great place to find some help. Here's my situation. I'm looking to build an HT system over time, picking up pieces here and there as they go on sale and I can afford them. I'm looking for my L/R speakers right now. I really like the look of three-way speakers. They seem just big enough. I don't have the space for floorstanding and two-way's just seem to small to me. So, what can you guys recommend in the $300-$350 range. Is there anything possible? Should I just go w/ two-ways for my L/R? My plan was three-ways for the fronts and two-ways for the rears. I'll be reading the other topics as I have time but I'm sure you'll see me around asking for more speaker recommendations. hehe. =) Thanks for the help guys! Ciao!

A little more info: The system will be used 80%HT/20%music (rock,jazz,latin). I've got a receiver already (Integra DTR-4.5). The room is in an apt. Approx. size 18' x 12' Ceiling around 8'-8.5'

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5926

It may seem like simple advice, but buy what sounds best to your ears. There are advantages to both two and three way designs. And, it should go without saying, don't buy a speaker based on its looks. If you end up with a two way L-C-R, when you add a subwoofer, you'll have your three way, bi-amped system.

Post Number: 2
True. I guess what I'm trying to find out are what other three-way speaker brands exist, so that I can find out if they are located in my area to listen. I've got quite a handful of two-way brand recommendations if I try to go that route, but only two three-way brands (Paradigm Monitor 5 and Axiom M22ti - both of which are out of my price range hence why I'm looking for other brands) and neither of these brands are available to listen for me regardless. Thanks again for the help. Ciao!

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 400
best 3 way system = satellites and a subwoofer.

larger speakers are really only good because they have deeper bass. 3 way speakers are particularly bad because they have even more complicated crossovers. if smaller two ways were so terrible, companies like dynaudio and proac would never sell their $2000 plus minimonitors. less is more. smaller two ways have simpler crossovers and do less harm to a signal.

other than the crossover, here's some of the other benefits to sub/sat systems.

1. smaller cabinets resonate less and sound less boxy. bigger cabinets require much better bracing to sound good and cabinets are the most expensive part of most speakers.

2. smaller cabinets have better imaging because they have lower levels of diffraction. the edges of a speaker cabinet (unless they're rounded) scatter soundwaves like a prism does with lightwaves. smaller cabinets have less impact on images. that's why B&Ws top of the line speakers have round shaped midrange boxes and tweeters in free air... to reduce diffraction.

3. the smaller woofers in minimonitors can move much faster than those in a full range system. you'll gain alot more speed and clarity in the upper bass/lower midrange with a satellite while your woofer can be crossed over at a much lower frequency eg. 50-80Hz versus the 200-500Hz in a typical 3 way speaker. (lower crossover frequencies also require more costly crossover components which drive prices up)

4. smaller speakers are much more cost effective and a better bargain. (i'm very much into that one LOL)

5. smaller speakers take up less space

6. a seperate subwoofer gives you much more flexibility in tuning your room's bass response. large speakers can be a bad match in a small room and sound boomy, a subwoofer gives you total control over your bass volume level and the ability to change your woofer's crossover frequency to suit your tastes.

7. a dedicated subwoofer (eg. hsu) can have much better bass than even large 3 way speakers. i've seen more than one review where a "full range" speaker was declared bass shy.

basically, sub/sat systems are more cost effective and flexible than larger full range units with the potential to sound much better.

oh my goodness... JV and i actually agree on something for once! LOL

Post Number: 3
I appreciate all the help. I'll steer away from three-ways then and start looking at some two-way satellites all around. Instead of starting a new thread, anybody have center channel recommendations? I'd say no more than around $300ish. Thanks again for the help. Ciao!

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2323
Josh:

Ascend 340 center is worth every penny, about $320 shipped...you won't have to turn up the volume as loud to understand dialogue. Voices come out super clear, detailed and natural without being bright.

The Ascend 170s for your mains at $340 shipped are probably the best reviewed Internet-direct speakers out there.

Add a Hsu STF-2 subwoofer for $400, also from the same site: ascendacoustics.com

You can also use the ascend forum on that website to see if there's an Ascend owner in your area who'll let you come listen, otherwise the 30 day trial period applies.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the info Edster. Any opinion on the Onix/Rocket RSC100 MKII center channel? MSRP is $399 but it's on sale now for $199. I'm tempted and skeptical at the same time. Any input would be nice. Thanks again for all the help! Ciao!

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2330
Onix speakers are said to deliver better bass than the Ascends but are a bit bright and sibilant---I have not heard them myself, but that's what I've read from their detractors. They do have a loyal following though, you might want to use their forum and see if you can find a local owner.

Bronze Member
Username: Mojoracer

Post Number: 14
Josh, check out the Infinity Primus speakers at Circuit City sometime, they also have some nice Polks on display with Velodyne subs.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 420
whatever center channel you get... make sure it's matched to your mains. don't mix and match... the same thing goes for your surrounds. all 5 (7 if you have backs) of your speakers should sound exactly the same as sounds move around in space.

as to what speakers are best, it depends on your audio priorities. i'm a maggie convert.

[disclaimer: i like $1,000 magnepan speakers more than a certain "respected" brand's $20,000 speakers because i can never get enough speed or detail. i don't mind bass rolloff (i actually prefer it) and base that opinion entirely on the fact that the maggies are much faster at 100Hz. i have a bias against large woofers and ports. i don't like their sound at all. i'd rather listen to a 4 1/2" woofer in a sealed box for more speed and detail than extension. i'm writing this disclaimer because i've been accused of misleading people for sharing my opinions]

with that out of the way... here's some other high value brands that you might like to read up on. there are alot of reviews available right at the top of this page. just click on "editorial reviews" in the black bar under the ecoustics logo.

note, that the different price ranges are just a quick collection that i grabbed, and that those brands get good reviews at lower prices too. if you're willing to do some research... you'll find some nice speakers for your dollar with these brands:

value speaker brands:
canadian
axiom
paradigm
psb
energy
mirage
aperion
NHT
epos
wharfdale
infinity
polk
boston acoustics
cambridge sound works
magnepan
ascend
definative technology
pinnacle

specific models & reviews:
Axiom Audio Millennia M40Ti $275 floorstander
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/axiom_millenniam40ti.htm

Paradigm Esprit v.3 $400 floor stander RAVE
http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/paradigm_esprit_v3.htm

Pinnacle Classic Gold Reference $900 list wins a shootout vs. B&W, Monitor Audio & Paradigm
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/loudspeakers/faceoff2.php

Wharfdale Diamond 9.6 $800 tower gets a rave
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/newsletter/153/wharfedale.html

Stereophile magazine really liked the $320 Epos ELS-3 minimonitors and rated them "class-c" over speakers 3 times their price.

the best "bang for the buck" speakers are probably Magnepan MMGs ($550 factory direct w/ 60 day return policy) which are capable of embarassing speakers 10 times their price. they're just fussy about amplification at 4 ohms. now that panasonic is selling 100wpc class-d recievers (SA-XR series) it's possible to get a maggie friendly amp for $300 or less. check the MMG review out here:
http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/magnepan_mmg.htm

i'm getting MMGs because of the stated bias.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us