Speaker wiring

Username: Hbspeaker

Post Number: 1
i'm in a new house that has existing speaker wire. the problem is that four wire are within each sheeth -- red, black, green, and white. i'm assuming the four wires are positive and negative for two different speakers. anyone know which colors go with which?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5916

You get to pick. As long as you are consistent which what color goes where at every connection, it doesn't matter. The usual connection is to use opposites for = and - posts. In that connection, red is used for the right channel.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5917

If you have speaker volume controls or switches already installed, you will have to determine which wire is = for each channel. The best way to do this is to pull the switch or VC to do a visual inspection. Do this at every location and do not assume the person who wired the house originally was consistent.

Username: Cursive

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 5
Along the same subject, just wondering the difference between the gauges of speaker wire, and which gauge is best?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5957

Best for what?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 697
The smaller the gauge, the thicker the wire.

14 gauge I would consider the norm (and minimum IMO), 12 gauge is usually sufficient to ensure maximal results. Anything thicker than 8 gauge and you're running into problems depending on how the wire is manufactured.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 628
Here's a good chart to follow -

http://roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable

Keep in mind that speaker impedence is not static. Just because a speaker is 8 ohms, doesn't mean that they won't dip down below that for short periods of time.

Username: Cursive

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 6
Thanks again Stu, hooked everything up and sounds really good. Its not perfection, but I didnt expect it to be. Thanks for your help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us