Luxman Amp: Repair or trash?

Username: Yohan

San Francisco, CA US

Post Number: 1
I am the proud owner of a Luxman m-111 amp which has had an issue with flakyness (cutting out) for longer than I'd like to admit. Pumping the volume usually solves it for a while, but it's starting to drive me crazy. Is this amp worth repairing, or should I start anew? Thanks all.
Newbie in San Francisco

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5874

You may just have an oxidized connection in the amplifier. The voltage increase caused by adjusting the volume is enough to temporarily solve the problem. You can try cleaning the amp with particular attention paid to the front panel controls and the back panel connections. Take all the cables off and clean the connections thoroughly.

If the problem is in the controls, you may find this to be just another temporary solution. The oxidation will return and you will once again have an amplifier that cuts out. Getting a technician to replace controls would be the next step. Some of the controls may not be available any longer. More importantly, it is almost impossible to have a service shop repair older equipment since they cannot warranty the repair when other old stuff may wear out again.

Since you gave no indication of your preference in this matter, I would suggest you shop around for a new amplifier and try one you like in your home before making any further decisions. Compare the old Lux to something new and decide which offers the best audio for what you can spend. Audio equipment has changed quite a bit in the time since you bought the Luxman. Not all of the changes have been for the betterment of the music you listen to.

San Francisco, CA US

Post Number: 2
Excellent advice, I thank you.
What would you recommend for cleaning the front controls?

-Jonny

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5882

One of the best is Pro Gold which is available through Audio Advisor and several other outlets. It is expensive if you are only doing this once or twice. Check out an electronics supply house or a pro sound shop in your area for other less expensive products. If needed Radio Shack should still sell tuner cleaner. Always use the least amount possible to get the job done.

San Francisco, CA US

Post Number: 3
Thanks so much.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us