Connecting speakers to pc and tv

Anonymous

Hi All :I want to do the following is it possible?

I have a medium size shop and I want to install 2 tv in different areas for my customers to watch, both will have the same program on. As the sound may be drowned out by noise I wanted to install 4 speakers around the room to avoid it. My first question is, is it easy hooking four speakers together and what do I need to watch out for? Also I want those 4 speakers to be connected to my pc. At any time I want to mute the TV and play music from my pc - does anybody think this is possible?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2266
First make sure that your TVs have audio output connections, unless you're using a cable/satellite box that has its own audio outputs.

Then you'll need a receiver with A/B speaker connections and 2 pairs of speakers. Use a Y-cable to connect your PC's audio output to one of the receiver's analog inputs, or better yet get an external sound card that has digital outputs.

Varit
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know of a small two channel amp that I can use to connect speakers to my computer?

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 389
yes, you'll need to have line ins from your sources. a cheap stereo VCR could provide your audio, and as mentioned, a decent soundcard for your PC helps. i picked a REALLY nice older turtle beach soundcard up for just $20! because it was older (i NEEDED that actually as my PC is a dinosaur) i picked a $56 card up for beans.

your video source (vcr, cable DVD) could be connected to a reciever with standard RCA cables, but if you get a surround reciever with a digital input, you could get slightly better sound out of "digital cable TV" and DVD players by using the reciever's onboard D/A converters.

my onkyo reciever sounds noticeably better getting digital sound from my DVD player with a $3 generic video cable (same exact thing as a digital coax cable... 2000 ohm) than it does using my onkyo DVD players onboard D/A converters going through $35 monster cable interconnects. since the signal stays digital, there's no loss in quality.

for your PC, you'd probably need a 1/8" stereo male to rca adapter as most soundcards don't use RCA jacks. if you need a long cable run, you'd probably need a 1/8" male to RCA female adapter so you could use a long rca cable, unless you could find a long 1/8" male to RCA male cable. those were pretty expensive at radio shack, so i grabbed a $4 adapter and a dollar store RCA cable to hook my PC up to my stereo. that turtle beach card also has a digital out, but i didn't want to buy another video cable and 1/8' to RCA adapter to go that route. besides, my intended use was digitizing vinyl anyways and the reciever only does digital in.

then, you'd just need cables speakers and a reciever. you could easily pick a 50-100wpc reciever up in the $100 or so range. heck, i just saw a JVC 100wpc SURROUND reciever selling for $130. if it has "all speakers mode" you could send all 4 of your speakers 100 watts which is way loader than you'd need unless you want to turn your shop into a nightclub. LOL just use one jack for your video and another (tape, CD, aux etc.) for your PC. then you could switch sources on the reciever as needed.

you could get some really nice speakers for $100 a pair or maybe less. doing some quick price sorting at yahoo shopping, i saw some KLH and celestion 2 ways that look useable for under $50. there were alot of cheap sony speakers in that range too.

you could also get minispeakers like AudioSource LS 200 (& 100) or a similar model by KLH which includes mounting brackets for around $30pr. and even get them in white to better match your walls.

Silver Member

Post Number: 390
if you are willing to spend more for better sound quality and/or a cleaner intallation, you could always get in wall or surround speakers too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 391
if you want speakers close to your TVs, make sure you get shielded speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 392
as to the small 2 channel amp for PC use... check the $30 sonic impact class-t out.

review:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/sonicimpact/t.html

for sale at:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&AID=1457539&PID=440939&Partnumber=3 00-952&DID=

and if your budget goes up to $100, the monsoon 700 system (amps, subwoofer and planar speakers) has gotten raves as "the best PC speakers made"
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us