Digital Coax set up help

annoymous Athena
Unregistered guest
I have just bought a new sony dvd player and an Athena 5.1 speaker setup. I also have a new pannasonic xr55 receiver, now its time to set it up.
I purchased a theater research digital coax cable after researching this thread but need to know how to use it. It connects the dvd player to the receiver but do i still need to use all the audio/video cables that came with the dvd player or does the coax cable replace these?

Also, is music usually listened to using only the fronts, or are all the speakers use.

Sorry if these questions are simple but i dont want to blow any of my new stuff. thanks everybody

Anonymous

Digital coaz cable will do audio only, so you need to run cables for video. Music is mostly used just using the fronts for stero, unless you get into DVD-A or SACD disks.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2247
agree with Anon there.

Connect the video cables to your TV, and the digital coax to your receiver.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 386
if you have a tape deck and want to record off your player, you might need audio interconnects. my onkyo won't send digital in out as analog. if i'm recording CDs etc. i have to use my DVD player's analogue outs.

if you're listening to DVD-A or SACD, you might need audio cables too. i read an article somewhere that stated MOST DVD players that play high resolution DVD-A and SACD will only send a reciever's D/A converters standard CD quality 16/44 signals and not 24/96 or 1/192. check with your player's manufacturer to see if your player does this.

if hires and recording aren't an issue, i get better sound out of my onkyo's onboard D/A converters with a generic $3 video cable sending digital than a $35 pair of monster cables sending analogue from my onkyo DVD player.

i might be getting an XR-55 myself because it's class-d and can drive magnepans, but might spring an extra $60 for the XR-70 as it has HDMI ins and i think the article that i'm quoting was in regards to panny, because using HDMI, panny DVD players can send 24/88 audio.

i wish i bookmarked the article to post it here.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us