Pre amp

Username: Mpjc

Post Number: 3
I went to buy a new turntable and found very few. All had pre amp. I have a receiver with phono input and was told that I could use the turntable at one store and could not at a second store. Those two are the only ones in town carrying turntables. Which one is correct? Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 902
Mike

If the phono input of the receiver has a phono stage, then you should be able to use an ordinary turntable into the phono input. If the turntable has a built-in phono stage, then you would not be able to use it into the phono input, but you would be able to use it into any other input. If they don't have a built-in phono stage then they must be used with a receiver that has one built in or a separate stage to step up the output for the receiver.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Frank.

Unregistered guest
I just bought a new sony receiver. It has hookup jacks for everything except for a phono. Can I run my phono output into my tape equalizer and then into the back of the new reciever

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5932

You can but, unless the eq has a phono pre amp built into it, you still won't get the sound you want.

Unregistered guest
Jan - So I get a pre amp and install it : phono-preamp-equalizer-receiver, where the input to the new receiver is thru the cd or tape or whatever jack

Bob

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5933

The phono pre amp puts out a line level signal so any line level input is fine. Why do you want to eq the phono signal?

Unregistered guest
to try and get the best recordings of old LP's. Reducing pitchs that have the worse sounds-I wanted to play around and see what I could do.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 930
Good luck, but most people would tell you that less is usually more. Introducing EQ usually does more harm than good, as was proved by most systems in the 70s. Nowadays, anyone serious about vinyl reproduction goes down the path of higher quality components and as few as possible. The results make a mockery of many modern CD-based systems. Fine, so there are pops and crackles to live with, but the result is often more musical. Try it both ways Bob (ooh err)...

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5953

If you are interested in applying eq to work the bugs out of older receordings, I would strongly suggest you invest in a parametric eq. A parametric device will allow you to shift the center point of the eq's action and the bell of the action (width of frequencies affected) to the frequency bandwidth where the problems exist in any one recording. A graphic eq, where the frequency centers and the bell of the eq are fixed will, more often than not, just make matters worse by swapping one bad effect for another equally bad effect.

Unregistered guest
Thanks Jan and Frank. Think maybe I will live with the pops and crackles and when I want better sound listen to the CD's

Bob

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 616
Bob - Pops and crackles could have a number of causes, and an eq will most likely not get rid of them. Most of them are due to dust/dirt on the lp and/or stylus, and static electricity.

Dust and dirt can be removed by dry cleaners such as brushes, and wet cleaners. The best way to clean lp's is with a cleaning machine. They clean with a solution, brushes, and vaccum. These machines are very expensive. They usually start at about $700. Local used vinyl stores usually have them to clean traded records, and some will clean your records for a fee. The local store I frequent cleans them for $1 a piece. Most of the records that I had cleaned were horrible (I started a thread here a few months back). I spent hours cleaning some lp's with good results. Had I known that the store cleaned records and how good they came out, I wouldn't have wasted my time cleaning them myself.

Their are also ways to significantly reduce static electricity. Their are mats and brushes that claim to eliminate it. I haven't tried either one, so I can't attest to it. I've also heard that if the platter is metal, wipe it off with a cloth dampened with distilled water. I've also heard of lp sleeves that help reduce static electricity.

If their is still popping and crackling even though their is no static electricity and the lp's have been cleaned with a machine, then the lp's probably have dirt melted into the grooves. I've read somewhere that the temperature of the stylus when playing reaches about 300 degrees. This melts the record somewhat and if their is dirt or dust present, it gets covered when the melted vinyl dries.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us