Questions on Using External Amp

Username: Buddhabreath

Post Number: 3
I plan on using a high-power external high-amp from an AV Receiver's pre-outs to drive main LR power-hungry speakers in a system used half for Stereo half for HT. I'm afraid I'm confused on some possibly remedial points:

1) The external amp has a volume control, so how do I balance the sound? Do I set the volume all the way up and attenuate using the receiver volume and set-up calibration?

2) Does the set-up on the HT receiver apply to LR stereo since the LR are individually calibrated? I'm assuming the volume control on the receiver is still active on "direct mode" (no DSP).

3) Is there a down side to doing this? For instance having HT calibration in effect for stereo listening (this might be a good thing), or having to re-set the volume control on the external amp to restore HT or 5x stereo/SACD balance?

In any event - you can see I'm rather confused, so any enlightenment is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

BB

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5844

Start with the VC on the amp set to full. Use the amp's control only if you need to trim the levels for matching with the other channels.

The VC on the receiver will be the Master volume control.

There shouldn't be any downside to speak of other than cost and some complexity.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 373
can't add anything to that
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us