Need help with Home audio system - laymans terms

Username: Alicat

Post Number: 1
I keep getting different answers from home audio stores so I thought I would try here. Note that I am totally clueless about this process, but if someone can tell me what I need to buy and why, I'll be so happy!!

We have 5 sets of ceiling speakers installed in our house. All wiring runs to one area in the main room. We have a Sony Dream System and a Sony 42 inch Grand Wega LCD TV and a Sony DVD player that needs to be hooked up in that area as well.

All I want is to be able to listen to music through the ceiling speakers in the house while someone else can watch TV or a DVD in the main room.

Some people say 2 amps, some say it must be custom (trying to avoid this as I can't afford 5K right now) some use the word 'loaded ??', and so on...

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5803

What you want is "two zone operation". This will require one amplifier for each zone. A zone will be the main room with DVD, etc. and the second zone will be the rest of the house.

With five pairs of speakers in the second zone, you will have several options for what amplifier you use and how the system is wired. In my opinion, the safest way to manage this second zone would be a multichannel amplifier with medium wattage (35 watts) per channel. You could also use a single stereo amplifier with autoformer (impedance matching) type switches and volume controls.

Which option you choose will depend on how you intend to use the system and how much money and complexity you can afford.

Username: Alicat

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the info. I am slowly beginning to understand.

Can we hook up our dvd player to our tv and leave it as that and then hook up this sony dream system to the amp where all the speakers will be run to as well? Is there any way to just turn on the cd system within that room and not have the music going through the ceiling speakers? I would like the option of putting in a cd and having the choice whether to confine the music to that room where the cd player is and listen through the dream system speakers OR listenting to the music through the ceiling speakers.

if it is set up this way, this would allow for one to watch tv while the other listens to music?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5808

Yes, with two zone operation you can shut off either zone or have both playing. The zones can share a source such as CD or have independent sources. You should be able to hook everything you've mentioned into the main receiver. It will then feed the signal to the second zone's amplifier. It will take a bit of understanding in how to make the system work and I can't tell you any specifics of that since it will change somewhat with the products you purchase. A decent dealer should include some time spent teaching you the operation of the system. Depending on the complexity of the system, most shops will do basic instructions at no charge. If the system grows, the shop might charge a minimal fee.

http://www.hometech.com/audio/

http://www.inwallstore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=i&Categ ory_Code=impedance

http://www.prillaman.net/ht_info_8-wiring.html

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 361
ah... the american way... try to steer the pidgeon, i mean customer into spending more money than they should in the pusuit of that juicy commission.

it's refreshing to know that high pressure sales tactics are still alive and well

(sarcasm)

don't get me started on the salesman that tried VERY HARD to sell me $25 cables for my $20 sound card. LOL

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5810

I agree you've been sarcastistic but I find no point, nor assistance, in what you've said. I haven't steered "the pidgeon", as you rudely referred to the poster, toward anything. It's rather difficult to apply "high pressure" sale techniques when I'm not selling anything. If you have an alternative, I'm sure he would enjoy reading a suggestion rather than poorly placed sarcasm.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 371
i wasn't referring to you JV. i was referring to the dealers that were tring to push amplifiers and costly custom work.

yes... the poster needs a dual zone system exactly just like you said, but the poster isn't your customer. i guess i just don't always get my point accross the way i intended. i thought it was clear that i was directing the comment at salsepeople.

despite the fact that you seem to get a little impatient with people, this is the second time you've done it with me, i still respect your judgement JV and way above average knowledge that extends into nuts and bolts issues. that SPL/speaker/power/distance info you gave me was very helpful thank you. i know better than to attempt a "battle of the wits" when i'm outgunned. LOL

i still don't agree with you about tube gear though, but that's because i'm sure i'm a tube hater from EVERY tube amp review i've ever read, and being totally unimpressed with the one $2000 tube amp i did listen to in one shop. it sounded dull and muffled to me.

the user might not even need 2 amps as i'm pretty sure i've seen recievers that do have dual zone operation somewhere.

dual zone = good
tearing the house apart at $40 an hour + parts = bad

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5830

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Dual zone = good when done well.

Tearing the house apart at any price = bad when some planning can significantly reduce the cost.

I wish the original poster good luck and still suggest a respected dealer's assistance.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us