as he spreads its virtues with remarkable glee

John A is witty and wise to the max
with a head full of theories and plenty of facts
But he gets on his high-horse when it should be a pony
because John A has a beef with Phillips and Sony

SACD's - well for John A those just won't do
he rather grab a good book and sit on the loo
So he's sent us the message about this DVD-A
And it's time to admit he's got something to say!

So let's hope he right 'cause we ain't got much money
and if he's wrong he'll soon know we won't think it's funny
But let's face the fact that we all love great sound
So thank you John A we're glad you're around

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 501
Thank you, My Rantz.

I was beginning to suspect that I was spending a little too much time on this forum. I have a life, too, honest!

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 108
John A

Just having a little fun at your expense and I know you have a sense of humour. Contributors such as yourself (they know who I mean) go to great lengths in answering questions, providing information and sharing the passion. Your recent campaign to convert the masses drove me to such sillyness. And I'm glad you have a life - my better half wants me to get one too!

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 378
There is no doubt that the new Sony/Philips SACD with better bass steering than their previous terrible bass management is a superior alternative to cd's when performed properly.

It could well be that DVD-A performance usually beats SACD because it is based on DVD Video and those making players are very familiar with DVD Video circuitry. Very few universal players perform better on SACD than DVD-A, with the possible exception of the Yamaha 2300, which performs very well on SACD, but terribly on DVD-A. It's DVD-A measurements barely are above a cd's. I hope they have fixed that or are planning to.

And I hope both DVD-A and SACD improve their bass management, particularly if your pre-pro or receiver doesn't have great bass management. Currently it seems I have less problems on bass management with DVD-A. I often find when playing SACD discs I have to diddle with my subwoofer to get proper performance--and this should be unnecessary. But there are DVD-A discs that I have to do the same on, just to a much lesser degree.

Bronze Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 80
Should John A change his handle to John DVD-A?
Should My Rantz change his handle to Maya Angelou Rantz?
I Know Why the Caged Audiophiles Sing...

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 451
Nice rant, Rantz!

Greg:

I would also suggest my Sony DVD/SACD player (DVP-NS755), is a superb SACD player, besides the Yamaha. I have been pretty pleased, although I am just getting into SACD, so my experience has been limited.

Silver Member

Post Number: 512
Hawk,

I am quite sure you will understand and appreciate DVD-A. If you have managed to escape my rants, recently, I can rant a bit more. Any excuse.

If any one has a DVD-A disc they don't want because they can't play it, I still have my unplayable "Blonde on Blonde" SACD ... I'm going to get the LP.

My Rantz,

Anyone who uses the phrase "my better half" most certainly has a life!

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
At the risk of being called a "schmuck" my better half is my life! She's been right there with me for 31yrs since we used to sit on the floor amid our Sanyo 'quadraphinic' listening to 'Inagadadavida' or 'They only come out at Night' by Edgar Winter. Ah the days when things had gone to pot and anything sounded great!

Silver Member

Post Number: 517
My Rantz,

You've got me there. Unknown territory. The music, I mean. I know about the first thing. Only 22 yrs for us, but going strong. Since this thread seems to be about me, I suppose nothing I write is off topic. Scary. I'll go away.

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
Quadraphonic - the first surround sound early seventies with very few formatted Lp's- and the Sanyo was crap! I thought everyone from back then knew Inagadadavida baby! Went forever with a long drum solo in the middle. If you read this - you fibbed!

Silver Member

Post Number: 519
I knew about Quadraphonic. Even have some LPs. Never heard it though. That was an idea ahead of its time. Don't know the other thing, sorry. Are you sure it's not another Hawaiian religeon?

Really will go away, now.

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 459
Rantz:

One of the very first albums I ever owned was "In-a-gada-da-vida" by the Iron Butterfly (I thought the name of the group was hilarious! No, it isn't a Hawaiian religion.). I was 14 years old and I absolutely loved the haunting drum solo, which I can still hear in my brain, today. Iron Butterfly was truly a one megahit wonder of the FM underground. A few years later, I interned at a radio station and got to host a few shows. Due to format constraints, it was nearly impossible to play that song since it is something like 30 minutes long, but I managed by voicing over the stations's call letter during the drum solo (required at the top and bottom of the hour by the FCC at the time). The station got more favorable calls on that show than anything else they did all year.

I also remember quad, which was an early attempt at what we now call surround sound. My cousin was a JVC dealer (late 60s and early 70s) and I loved their "discrete Quad" system. However, in a precursor to the VHS/Betamax war, neither the discrete camp or the matrixed quad camp could agree to pay the other a license fee and quad died an early death for lack of program material (I even remember we had a radio station that broadcast in quad for awhile--sounded great!).

John A:

In abject ignorance, I purchased my Sony DVD/SACD player at the time I bought my Denon receiver, wholly unaware of a competing format. As you know, I have replaced my Denon receiver with an NAD and so doubt I will opt for something new in the way of a DVD player that will likely do DVD-A, as well. My history on this is checkered as I bought a Betamax when they brought out Beta HiFi and claimed it was physically impossible for VHS format to find room on the tape for a hifi signal. Six months later, the VHS camp introduced VHS hifi using something called "depth multiplexing", thus making it a moot point that they had already filled the tape area up--Beta thus died and left me with an orphan. Given my track record, I figure SACD will lose to DVD-A as well, so just give it time!

I have not heard DVD-A, except in demos in audio shops, but I like what I hear. I will probably wait until I see a few more bins of DVD-As in my local Best Buy and Target before I put my money down on a new player, though.

Cheers!

Silver Member

Post Number: 536
Hawk,

Thanks.

You are a mover and a shaker. You have just tipped the scales for the mass market of 2012. I hope you can handle the responsibility. Timn8ter just posted that the Stones catalogue is on SACD. That's a lesser factor.

Really will go away, this time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
Hawk,

I thought it was Iron Butterfly wasn't so sure as to mention it. I recall the title sounding very much like "In a garden of evil" but whether that was deliberate or something in the air I don't know. That drum intermission was really something though.

Your time at the radio station must have been 'cool' for you at the time. Also a good grounding for oratory skills required by lawyers?

I must tell (as you also like Marantz) that we have had no more problems with our SR-7300. You may recall that you thought our overheating may have something to do with our 6ohm mains. It was not. It was simply our record breaking heat and humidity during January and we solved the situation with a small 12v fan. Now we're back to normal temps there is absolutely no problem.

It's hard to convey sound quality as you know, but paired with JBL XTi 60's, a B&W LCR6 s2 center, JBL S3611 rear wall mounts and our Aussie made Richter sub, the 7300 really sings. You mention the NADs as musical and I agree, and this is best as I could describe the 7300. Although there was a little research involved, I auditioned the JBL's on an integrated NAD at the dealers when I almost ordered a T763 so there was a little luck in the mix as well. Whether I missed something better is arguable but we are very satisfied and spend too much time listening!

Silver Member

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 387
In a Gada Da Vida was a bit too ponderous and directionless noodling for my tastes. I generally don't fawn over long drum breaks. Iron Butterfly didn't have much staying power for me--and looking at their short career, not for too many others either. Kind of like Vanilla Fudge in the career department.

I was mostly listening to Cream, Hendrix, The Who, Stones, etc.

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
It wasn't our mainstream either, but it was one of the few 'quad' lp's available and in that format it was something else especially with the drums. We could go on and on about all the great bands: add Supertramp, 10CC - God, I'm feeling old again but, then look at the Stones!

Silver Member

Post Number: 543
I saw an in-flight magazine a few years ago with a hi-res, colour, cover photo of Keith Richards looking about 150. The headline was "Knocking on Heaven's Door". Tasteless. But telling. From Gregory's list, I'd go for Cream. Roger and out.

Bronze Member
Username: Seamus

Post Number: 19
John A,
You new found enthusiasm for DVD-A is refreshing. Must say, I can't suppress a smile every time I read your excited posts about the benefits. But isn't that the best part of this hobby ? I have a Pioneer universal player, but no receiver and speakers at the moment. Have ordered some DVD-A titles, can't wait to try them (at a friend's till I get my own set-up in place).

On the other topic, I've read that Iron Butterfly were so stoned when they recorded In-a-gada-da-vida, that they could never replay it quite the same at a live concert. The intended title could well have been "In a garden of evil" for all we know!

Silver Member

Post Number: 551
Seamus,

You have great pleasure ahead, I promise.

There is a track on Dylan's "Blonde on Blonde" called "Everybody must get stoned". It is the simplest imaginable twelve-bar blues, yet it is completely out of tune and rhythmically all over the place, as if no-one can see or hear any of the others, is in a world of his own: a complete mess. It must have sounded good to them. They probably intended it to be listened to in the same state.

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 465
John A.:

Without question, Cream was the creme de la creme of the 60s rock era. I was shattered when I heard they were breaking up. The Beatles were just pop artists to me, whereas Mssrs. Clapton, Bruce and Baker were the cutting edge of music. Now, if "Wheels of Fire" and "Disreali Gears" were to come out on DVD-A, I would buy a player immediately. I still love their music.

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 466
Rantz:

"In a garden of evil" actually makes some sense, but I had the album and it was entitled "In a gada da vida", not exactly something a 14 year old kid understood (I still don't today). Yeah, it was pretty inane, but they played pretty well on the album, so I don't think they were stoned then. I heard them in concert about two years later when they were struggling to come back and I think their problem was that they were terminally stoned then. I think the success they had with that first album went up their nose and if they could never duplicate what they did in the studio, it is probably because they lacked all of their faculties in later efforts.

I am really happy to hear you sorted out the issues with your Marantz! As I have written before, but for the lack of 4 ohm capability, I could have easily opted for a Marantz 7300 as I found it to be very musical--a delight to listen to with good speakers. In fact, I saw recently where one dealer was closing out his 7300ose's for only $799.99. Good thing I didn't see that before I got my NAD--Killer price!

As for my brief radio career, I just think it was another instance of me enjoying hearing myself talk! I did have fun, though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 563
Hawk,

Agreed. There are some DVD-Videos...

Clapton seems to have gone for DVD-A. Consider Riding with the King (review) and see what the reviewer says about the sound. There are some other Clapton DVD-A discs. I am keen to enlarge your knowledge, Hawk!

BTW my conversion results from recent acquisition of an NAD T533. I'll try and write something about it this weekend.

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 470
John A:

Looking forward to it!

Bronze Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 75
i actually have the cd of iron butterfly and play
it now and then.

i am 38 and i first heard it from my dad on the
8 track in our van going upnorth hunting.

they actually still play it around hear in
michigan on the classic rock station. sometimes
they play the whole In a Gada Da Vida but very
rare.

i use to do my own dj service parties and small
weddings.people would quite often request that
song after they had a few drinks.amazing what the
mind wants after being a little altered.

Silver Member

Post Number: 565
Hawk,

Thanks! The problem will be where to start. Then, how to stop. If you have escaped my recent barrage of posts, the bottom line is that CD is finally revealed as the low-res "convenience" format which analogue reactionaries always suspected it was, but have been afraid to say, fearing ridicule.

DVD-Audio, in contrast, is the single, best thing since the advent of stereo, possibly the long-play record. "Sliced bread is not in the race". The wonder is, you don't find "DVD-Audio" mentioned at all until you get near the end of the T533 owner's manual. More in later in similar vein, plus remarks on cosmetic issues.

It will be a tough assignment, rather like "...but apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the opera?"

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
John A

I have Riding With The King on cd. The sound is heavilly compressed and in a couple of places almost distorted, but otherwise okay. After that review, I am getting very itchy feet for DVD-A

Thanks for the info - it reinstates all you've been saying.

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 471
John A:

What has been holding me back is the dearth of DVD-A titles. I tend to shop at superstores such as Best Buy and Target for most of my music (I haven't found any good record shops since moving to Denver) and they have almost no DVD-A titles to even buy. Same for SACD. I have never argued that SACD and DVD-A weren't any better than CD--believe me, I get it! But it is hard to get enthusiastic about either format when you can't find titles. Like the old days of quadraphonic, the competing formats prevent to formation of a standard that would justify remastering and reissuing many of the great titles from the past 40 years. As I learned to my dismay 20 years ago in the Beta/VHS war, I am wary of choosing a side until I have some assurance I am not buying into a dead end. And, it must be noted that like the Beta/VHS war, it is Sony's massive corporate ego that is the culprit of this format war.

That said, I am still very interested in the T533. The price is very appealing and I have been very pleased with my NAD receiver. I look forward to hearing your review.

Silver Member

Post Number: 577
Hawk,

I cannot honestly separate the T533 receiver from the format war, because DVD-A is the sole reason I got it. There was nothing at all wrong, otherwise, with my T532. But I shall try.

I am in the same boat, probably deeper in it, as regards availability of titles. I used to just love browsing record stores. Internet ordering just is not the real experience. However, I'm surprised at Denver. Maybe Boulder has more?

Curiously, I have found the dearth of DVD-A titles quite liberating. I'll come back to this, too.

BTW people forget that Sony won some territories, and that Betamax is still the single format in France, for example. It's culture, you see. Which format, if either, will prevail, and where, and does it matter, are all for the post after next. There are already many points of view expressed here.

Let me just say "Amen" to your comments, "thank you", and return.

Silver Member

Post Number: 599
To all friends on this forum.

Here is my review of the NAD T533 DVD/CD player.

NAD T533 DVD/CD player user's review, and DVD-Audio

It is under "Receviers" and way too long.

Thank you for your interest, and for your comments and kind remarks.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New york Usa

Post Number: 108
JohnA, Hawk, Gregory, Myrantz,

You are starting to scare the kids. They will demand they put us in a old "member" category called Rust.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I was starting to get a tear in my eye.

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
Rick

Your term "Rust" reminded me of Neil Young's old title "Rust Never Sleeps" Well, I think he's right and certainly applicable to those of us in the Rust category on this forum!

John A

A good honest and interesting review!

Bronze Member
Username: Black_math

Post Number: 47
I agree with Hawk. Where I live, you just don't see a good selection of DVD-a OR SACD titles. I listen to a mix of jazz, bluegrass, rock, indie, and electronic music. I don't even see many titles in these mediums to order. Ones that I might buy on SACD come out six months after I buy the CD.

I am also dissapionted that Sony, JVC, Panasonic, Pioneer (to name a few) are continually developing $89 progressive scan players with no hi-rez audio (some without MP3). I find incredible that Sony ( I imagine they have the most to gain) would still design and manufacture CD and DVD players that don't do SACD. I am amazed they aren't more on top of new music releases.

It all reminds me of DCC and Minidisc.

I have seen that they now have DVD-R machines with TIVO. My guess is that you are going to see these eventually replace both DVD players and VCR's. Hopefully somebody will think to include a hi-rez audio format and a network card on one.

Silver Member

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 400
I go online and buy DVD-A's and SACD surroun d discs. Certainly there aren't anywhere near as many released and made as should be, but I definitely enjoy the good recordings of those that are available considerably more than their cd counterparts.

I just read a review of the DVD-A surround system in the Acura 3.2TL. The reviewer picked up Art Alexakis (the main singer/songwriter, guitarist) of Everclear and drove the car and played a DVD-A release of 1997's Everclear "So Much for the Afterglow".

Art is amazed and tells the reviewer-"I'm hearing things I can't hear in the stereo mix, things I know are there because I produced the original".

This was from Sound and Vision May 2004. Art concludes the article by saying--"If i had this in my car I'd never leave"

Let's hope that there are a lot more DVD-A and SACD releases. I have no preference of format--they can both be excellent to my ears. Some people prefer one over the other, but to me it is far more contingent on the engineering and quality of the surround disc than the format. Both formats can perform great when done given great software. And many are being made as hybrid discs with both cd and either surround format.

Neither can be compared to minidisc, as they are audiophile grade formats. And maybe this is what the music industry needs to help save itself. It sounds a lot better than MP3's and cd's (when done correctly).

Kegger---Going back to the earlier conversation, I listen to a broad range of music and watch all kinds of DVD's. Great music and movies are great no matter the era, topic, or whether old classical, newer classical, blues, jazz, classic rock, modern rock, some musicals (pre-1966 generally), etc. I don't live into an age group stereotype. I listen to music made last week or 500 years ago.

Certainly people often have music preferences, but just as being well-read helps broaden one's intellectual horizons, so does listening and learning the "musical language" of various musical forms and styles give one a greater cultural knowledge and appreciation.

As I was brought up and lived in and around NYC for more than 30 years, I automatically came into contact with an enormous variety of music, movies, and live performances. I haven't seen West Side Story in years or The Music Man in many, many years--I just remember them quite vividly.

But watching and enjoying a musical no more makes one limp-wristed than living in the South makes one a moron. There are lots of people that have wide-ranging tastes that don't live into stereotypes.

Of course, there aremany people that do seem to live into stereotypes. C'est la vie.

Bronze Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 90
gregory just one question.

are you suggesting that if you don't enjoy these
things that you still must read novels or
listen to classical music or watch musicals
to broaden your horizons enough to be able to
understand and apppreciate music and movies
properly.

i understand that these things are very well
appreciated by some and are no dought excelent
forms of media.

but to make a statement like that would be very
very much a sterotype.and that is what iv'e said
before.

"
it just seams in life though anytime someone says they don't enjoy shakespeare or a good play, that there somehow inferior or not well bread. or if you havn't read a good book lately that you are not very smart.

some people truly enjoy those things and that is
great but just because someone else dosn't agree
with you that is fine also.

there is so many things in this world to keep us
busy why not pick the ones we enjoy. "

and gregory i do not want to fight with you .
i appreciate our communication and honesty on
these threads.

but it just burns me up when people say that you
don't listen to or watch that because your dumb.

some people just have different tastes nor better
or worse than the other guy.

that is why we have choices in life to watch or
listen to what we enjoy.

and guys i am sorry to post this hear. i know it
does not belong but felt obligated to respond.
thanks for your unerstanding in advance!

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
Kegger,

With everything but the dog on this thread, there's no need to apologise for your post. But I do think you're putting words on Gman's page (so to speak). Being well read or having a broad range of interest in music does not indicate more intelligence, though as Gman indicated, it does broaden one's intellectual horizons.

The ability to retain knowledge and call upon it appropriately is a better indicator of intelligence. Age, social differences, education, and family backgrounds will invariably create differences in preferences and thoughts.

To understand and appreciate movies and music only takes eyes and ears and a brain for processing the data. But, I'll tell you there are movies and music I'll never understand nor appreciate whereas some may.

Remember, you made your choice when criticising (albeit jokingly) the content of a conversation others were involved in. They didn't do it thinking there's a Kegger out there who's going to drop his beer when he reads this!

I think we understand even though you are possibly reading more into what has been said.

Silver Member

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 402
Kegger--

I am suprised that you took what I wrote as some kind of flame. Sorry you took offense, as none was meant. It was an explanation of myself and quite possibly others that enjoy a wide swath of music and other things.

I realize what you said earlier was both joking and serious. Of course people have different tastes in all things--and that is a good thing. But if memory serves, it was you stereotyping and making fun (albeit, in jest)---not anyone else.

Of course you are no less a person, or anything else for not liking West Side Story or John A's choice of Music Man, anymore than I am for preferring to listen to Elvis Costello (particularly his first 6 cd's)) or the Clash over Al Stewart or The Little River Band.

I am at a loss at what stereotype you think I made. Actually, I made a comment saying that people often are not stereotypes.

I certainly didn't say you weren't smart or anything else negative. I live in the South, which is why I used the liking of some musicals (as some kind of g-y stereotype) and living in the south (as a common unintelligent stereotype) as being MISTAKEN stereotypes. Most people are far too complex to readily categorize and have their own fields of appreciation, understanding, and expertise.

Heck, I am ignorant on a lot of music genres and many other things, literary and otherwise.

Now if you pose the question of whether I think it is a positive attribute to experience and understand as much culture and knowledge as we can---the answer to me is--Of Course. Obviously there will be many things we don't enjoy enough or even want to delve into. That is as true for me as most others.

This is why one of the reasons a forum with many topic threads (that can even devolve or evolve on others viewpoints) is a good thing. Anyone can post a thread on an issue they want to talk about and if the thread goes elswhere they don't want to travel they can start another one or chime into one already existent.

Again, I am sorry if you felt offended. No offense was intended. And I still consider you a forum friend and hope you now understand what I was talking about. I have mis-interpreted what others have said before too.

Bronze Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 91
mr. rantz.

you very well could be correct that i may be
reading more into it than there is.

that is why i asked him the question.

to better understand what he meant.

but youv'e got to admnit that some people think
like that.

i've gone through college to get my degree and i
would consider myself a fairly smart person.

and i've ran into many people that i wuold not
consider very smart.but they think there all high
and mighty because they just read the latest best seller.

that is an extreme and i don't beleive gregory or
anyone intentionally have said that here.

but when it seams to get close to that (and i do
admit i take it worse than others) i just feel
compelled to voice my thoughts.

i know i am rambling and again i am sorry!
i am done with this subject and will not post
anymore about it.

Bronze Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 92
no problem gregory.

i posted my last post before i saw yours.

and i am sorry for not quite getting what you meant.

see you friend!

Bronze Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 93
by the way the clash rocks i listen to them often.

i made a suggestion on the main page for a music
and media category.

i definatly take it to heart when someone says
hey check this out and have learned a lot from
what i have read other people posting and look
forward to more that i do not know but may enjoy!

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
Let's all have a good firm handshake! :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 606
Here's my hand. To each one of you.

Wish we could all meet up somewhere for a beer. Or two.

Some of the young conservatives on this forum worry me. I guess they'll learn.

There's a nice movie about how things, and expecially people, can - "can" - get better with age and experience. It's a bit sentimental. Also you may need subtitles unless you've lived in Yorkshire. This is another of my gratuitous recommendations, especially to Mr and Mrs My Rantz.

Calendar Girls

Kegger,

but it just burns me up when people say that you
don't listen to or watch that because your dumb.

I meet people like that all the time. I'll tell you what I think. They're hiding something. And what they are hiding is their own insecurity.

some people just have different tastes nor better
or worse than the other guy

If we could just get poeple to understand that simple fact, what a better world it would be.

Bronze Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 95
dam that would be great to get together sometime
and have brew or two.

to bad people like us usually never meat in life.

if anyone ever comes to michigan i would be
honored to extend the invite.

if anyone does by chance you could email me.
thykegman@comcast.net

Silver Member

Post Number: 138
John A

Thanks for the recommendation, It's just been released here so we'll certainly have a look soon. And I have one for you: Seabiscuit! Same "can do" storyline and most enjoyable.

Also, just bought John Mayall's 70th birthday concert filmed in Yorkshire - DTS 5.1 Clapton, Mick Taylor etc - Great Concert and sound! Forget the age and listen. Picked up The Last Waltz from a specials bin - a trip down memory lane - great stuff!

Kegger - I think we'll expect a keg. Cheers!~

Silver Member

Post Number: 609
Kegger,

You're a true gentleman, sir! I am pretty well stuck over here in N. Europe, but I will try to take you up, one day. I drove West across Michigan once. I remember every stop vividly. It would be great to see it again. Have you seen "The road to Perdition"? I guessed it was East Michigan, but it could also be West Illinois, I think. Maybe, just, North Indiana. I couldn't stop humming "Gary, Indiana" from "the Music Man" on that trip.

Silver Member

Post Number: 610
My Rantz,

The family rented Sea Biscuit last weekend. They loved it, but I fell asleep. It wasn't the movie, it was me. Maybe I'll try it again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 611
Kegger,

I meant W Michigan and E Illinois of course. It is set within a day's drive of Chicago, on a lake. that has to be Lake Michigan, unless I've completely forgotten. Nice movie, too.

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 113
JohnA.,

If that get together could ever happen, the first round of beers would be on me. Cheers to all!

Silver Member

Post Number: 614
Rick,

Thanks. I agree. But maybe Kegger got in first!

Cheers, anyway. We'd sort it out. A round each. Just to be fair, you understand.....

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 116
JohnA.,

I need your help.....look under AMPS-loudspeaker suggestions. I can't believe what I am reading, and I don't have the strength. The GATES are opening again.

Bronze Member
Username: Black_math

Post Number: 48
Rick,

If you want to send a call to your buddy to help gang up on somebody, maybe you should do this by private e-mail.

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 118
Ben,

Not my intention, sir. I thought John would find the humor in my post. I'm a big boy and can slay my own dragons. Thanks for your concern.

As I have said many times, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. And sometimes we can only agree to disagree. Nothing personal. Cheers!

Silver Member

Post Number: 617
Rick, Ben,

Thanks. I'll find that link later. Let me just say an open suggestion to visit another thread is preferable to one sent by private e-mail. Wouldn't you agree?

Oh, and I don't join gangs, Ben. Or respond to them. It will be cables again, I expect...

Silver Member

Post Number: 620
Ben,

I've had a look at that thread, and can understand the problem. Rick knew he had my attention here, and also remembers we'd got close to discussing cables before. That's how I guessed the topic. That's all. I thank Rick for that.

I had a smaller sort of run-in with lorenzo only a few minutes before, on another thread. I very much doubt if Rick knew that. Also, I think Rick and I disagree on cables. I have the outlook "copper is copper".

Bronze Member
Username: Seamus

Post Number: 21
Hey John, looks like you and your NAD T533 made the ecoustics home-page ! I suppose that comprehensive review excited even the administrators!

Has anybody seen a professional/editorial review of the NAD T7*3 receivers ? I can't seem to locate any.

Silver Member

Post Number: 624
Seamus,

Thanks. I didn't know!

But I was told it was moved from "Receivers" to "DVD players".

I think we could do with a "DVD-Audio" category. Under "Home Audio"

This is part of the problem with the "format war".

SACD is presented as "Audio" and at a high level in the file system hierarchy.

In contrast, DVD-Audio is presented at low-level, meaning "Special interest", and under "Video" or "home Theater" which is a complete turn-off for the audio buffs who are the core of your forum, or at least the most active ones.

I've written as much to the admistrator.

I also admit to trying to be provocative with The twilight of the Compact Disc, under "CD players"....!

So far I have failed completely!

Silver Member

Post Number: 626
Our very fine host and forum administrator has created a new category DVD-Audio & SACD within Home Audio, and moved in some relevant threads.

Seamus, I am not aware of any professional reviews yet of the T7x3 receivers, just "news" items. I am sure there will be some "in press" by now.

Silver Member

Post Number: 153
Let's hope he adds them to the forum jump!

Silver Member

Post Number: 780
My Rantz,

re April 13: and everyone who who recommended "The Last Walz": Thank you! Really, really good. And something I would never have come across without your recommendations. It is not "memory lane" for me: I missed it the first time. But "Forever Young" reminded me so much of Dylan and The Band from years before that. The best of every rock/pop genre in that concert, and only respect and admiration across the widest of boundaries.

Jeez, I remember Bob Dylan as the unknown writer of the hit by Peter. Paul and Mary (answers, please....) And the Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, version by Joan Boaz. I should have stayed in touch!

Best to all.

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 182
Gee, John, could it be Blowing in the Wind???????

Silver Member

Post Number: 232
Rick

Hey, John and some of us are getting on a bit you know!

Silver Member

Post Number: 790
Well, I never even thought you might be imposters, Rick and My Rantz. Of course you know! I could go on, of course. I think Mr Zimmerman overtook the pop bands and left the Earth's gravitional pull at about the time that The Byrds did "Mr Tambourine Man". Badly. He is own version was magical.

I am still reeling at all the connections in that last line-up in The Last Walz. I'll bet any money J S Bach could have shared a number, and held his own, with the keyboard player, each treating the other with due respect, like Clapton/Robertson. That is not a pretentious comment. Only one of them being dead for 230 years or so makes it ridiculous.

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 184
Rantz,

Could you type a little larger? I could barely read that last one. LOL!!

Cheers my friend.

Silver Member

Post Number: 235
Rick

Sorry, what was that? I couldn't quite hear!

Oh well, It's not how old we are, it's how old we feel - and if we are still feeling :-)

Cheers

Unregistered guest
What a thread!

Of COURSE you guys are all deaf. You've been cranking Iron Butterfly through major sound-systems for 30 years...lol. (I always thought it was "In the Garden of Eden". But at a measily 35 years old - shows you what I know!)

I'll just mention they used that track in the movie "Manhunt" - a B'ish movie based on the Novel Red Dragon made in the late 80's. It was pre "Silence of the Lambs" and the remake "Red Dragon". I'll provide no details - but to say the song served perfectly.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1092
Good movie recommendation, Marc. Thanks. Will look out for it.

Surely you know a man's high-frequency hearing declines with age after about 20? Then it levels off. You are probably therefore about as deaf as the rest of us here.

I also think hearing is just another case of "use it or lose it".

Anyway, what counts is not usually the ears. It's what's in between them.

Seems you're doing fine...

BTW liked your thread "2 channel 4 me".

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 212
Marc C,

OK....we're busted, you found us out! LOL!!!

Unregistered guest
Rick B,

Lol! Well, audiophiles complaining of hearing loss struck me as funnily similar to ex-NFL'ers complaining of arthritis! Deaf Audiophiles....sounds like a good band name! Lol! There's the name of your club...I want full credit.

Btw - I'm still waiting to hear your appraisal of the GMA Europas. See if they make a dent in your Ohm revelation. (I expect something along the lines of apples and oranges.) If you would like to check out my other threads (pleas for help) "2 channel 4 me" in the receiver section and "Music Hall MMF-5" in Phono, I would welcome your input very much as well.

John A,

Yes, I think I have heard that about a man's hearing. I have a theory that the decline of men's hearing is directly correlated to proximity of marrying age. The age of marriage for centuries being in the late teens, mother nature saw it fit to deaden a man's hearing somewhat a few years into the ordeal, to ensure survival of said union and the species as a whole. Those married after the hearing decline, while it is often chalked up to maturity, are actually beneficiaries of mother nature's natural earplugs - a physiological "Selective Attention" if you will. (Conversely, a woman's hearing, bowing to other survival needs, only seems to sharpen and hone all the way to the grave.) Then again, it's just a theory...one I will burn for...yet could not resist.

Glad you enjoyed the thread - your input valuable as always. Guess I'm old fashioned - just want 2 channels, kicking my butt up front, no frills thank you. (As I received a never-wanted cell phone for X-mas, and have carried it twice since, there may actually be conviction to my words.)

Read your exchange with J Vigne (that man is extremely bright) - can't help but agree on the "rightness" of 2-channel. Even more interesting the comments on Mono. There is something about those old blues records, done on what was probably a recording Victrola, that just hits me.

Along those lines, I wonder that new receivers might be a bit too "clean" for me - so I'll be exploring vintage models as well. Their inherent warmth and soul, their over-build design. Frankly, I like a little grit in my rock n' roll. It will be fun to explore...

As to what's between my ears, local opinion varies greatly. :-)

Always a pleasure gentlemen...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1171
Love, it Marc. I was once a "young fogey", too. I do believe I am getting less mature as the years pass.

BTW I do not think female hearing declines more rapidly, it just tends become more easily distracted by conflicting and irrelevant sensory inputs, probably for the evolutionary reasons you describe: infants in distress; what colour the speakers are; that sort of thing.

I am with you on mobile phones, too. My wife and our kids can send each other long and intricate text messages before I've even worked out how to switch the thing on.

Jan Vigne is the real polymath on this forum, imho. Concerning audio, he seems to be in a class of his own. My heart is with "stereo rules", too, but DVD-A convinces me there is really something there; and surround has long been an aspiration of many, an obvious "next step" since the early days of stereo. Admittedly, the new opportunity to do great things is often lost in the recording. I say "often", whereas Jan, if I understand, tends to think "always". He has a good case. My single irrefutable counterexample is so esoteric I do not expect people to fork out - they want to buy music they can listen to, too.

All of which is why I find it interesting to argue the case, here. See, you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Unregistered guest
John A,

I can only guess at the misuse of technology and recording techniques you and Jan speak of. Needless to say, such waste of technology isn't restricted to audio...

I respect your findings on HT. Between you, Hawk, Jan, and every other gentleman on this forum with years and vast miles of wisdom and experience on me, I don't doubt that HT can be phenomenal....

But I won't be caught dead taking part in it (or subwoofers).

Interestingly, as I mentally compile my system from all these posts and great advice, in the back of my mind, I consider that I may just pick up a vintage Marantz or Luxman receiver, some JBL 4312's, and call it quits. Lol!

Sometimes it's in the journey...

P.S. I was actually saying that a woman's hearing only seems to INCREASE with age...I'm sure it's been proven both in and out of laboratories.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1217
Marc,

...not the destination, that matters.

I'll give you five years before you have surround sound, in one form or another.

Unregistered guest
John A,

Yeah - a 2 channel in my living room, another in my bedroom, both on the same radio station... :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1224
...and you'll be stuck in the past, like ageing hippies in People's Park, "fighting for a war that was long ago forgotten.." (Paul Simon).

Marc this is great. Thanks. I am get heavy and very accurate fire on "Plunging into multichannel" under "DVD-Audio and SACD". You will see there that we are on the same side (I think/hope).

All the best.

Unregistered guest
John A,

What's People's Park? lol. Kidding... Well, I look at the present to see what it has to offer. Often enough, I opt for the past. (And does that same, forgotten war not rear it's head again and again, with only it's haircut changed?)

Well, for heavy and accurate fire, those people can help. If you want stubborness, rebellion, and stupidity, I'm your guy! lol! Same side or not John A, you sure know better than I...

Kindest Regards.

P.S. I still refuse to buy a sub...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us