Importance of floor tower speakers

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 347
as you all know i am in the midst of buying a system (but ive held off asking questions for a few days). i was just wondering the importance of floor speakers. with a ht/music surround system, will 4 bookshelfs (say athena as-b1 or infinity primus) easily fill a small/midsized room with sound or is it recommended that most systems have a pair of tower speakers. typically speaking, is it worth spending the extra $100 to upgrade from bookshelf fronts to towers? thanks for the help

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5551

No.

Silver Member

Post Number: 348
no meaning its not worth the extra money? generally do bookshelfs produce as efficient and loud of a sound as towers?

Silver Member

Post Number: 349
also is there any way to get low frequency production from bookshelfs. i noticed most (such as athena as-b1) only get as low as 50hz. are towers the only way to get those low frequencies?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3898
look at the specs and you will find out if they at least respond to the frequency that you are looking for. Or you can actually just listen to them yourself and determine if you like it or not.

How long has it been since you've been asking question about speakers? Are you ever going to decide and actually just purchase thme and enjoy yourself? You are jsut driving yourself crazy with all these endless research t hat lead you no where but to more questions.

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1034
There are bookshelves and there are bookshelves. Some are outstanding, others crap. Berny has good advice. Look at your budget and trust your ears. In general, inexpensive bookshelves can be very disappointing compared to inexpensive floor models. But there are many variables.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2347
db,
It depends what you will demand from your system. Coupled with a quality sub, bookshelf speakers will be 'good enough' for some, but not for others.

With all things being equal, a bigger speaker is capable of producing bigger output. Whether or not you require that bigger output, is soley up to you.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5575

How perspicacious, Paul.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2351
thank you

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5584

Oh, no, thank you!

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 928
Hey whats going on here!!

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 503
Looks like Paul actually commented on something and made sense! However, not sure if he knows what "perspicacious" means!

Silver Member
Username: Audioholic

Post Number: 130
I agree with Jan.......NO!

Bronze Member
Username: Blasterman

Post Number: 19
--typically speaking, is it worth spending the extra $100 to upgrade from bookshelf fronts to towers?--

The answer to that is *usually* 'yes', and the only proof I need is for you to go and listen to the larger Athenas side by side for yourself. I've heard the larger Athenas, and they are great speakers. One of the best bargains in their price range.

A larger speaker generally means 'larger' sound, with better dynamics all around. I've owned over half a dozen book-shelf sized two ways in my life ranging from Legacy to B&W, and frankly had harder time telling them apart than appreciating them. They all had one thing in common; their larger counterparts sounded MUCH better.

Conventional 'strip-mall' logic is to buy small speakers and just add subwoofer to fill in the low end, however a sub will never integrate as well with a smaller speaker as a larger tower built by that same manufacturer. If you're tight on space and can't 'afford the floor' for a pair of bigger towers, well, then you have to work within your limits. However, if you have the option of getting the bigger Athena towers, I strongly suggest it.

Why '4' speakers may I ask?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5608

We're talking a surround system. That normally requires at least four speakers. How would you do it in non strip mall logic?

While I'm not a fan of most subwoofers, your statement concerning small bookshelves mating less well compared to a large speaker designed by the same company seems a bit too broad to make as an overall judgement of speakers. A stand mounted design takes up about the same footprint as a floorstander so there's really no advantage to the floorstander or the small speaker there. Given a decent design with the same sensitivity between the two designs, they will both reach pretty much the same SPL with the same amount of dynamic range. Assuming, that is, you are not dead set on bringing down the walls with sound pressure levels. However, which would you rather have reproducing the vocal range. A small, light 5" driver or a larger, say 10", heavier and slower driver? If the speakers are two way designs, the XO is going to be at about 2500Hz no matter which you buy. If the small speaker gets down to about 45Hz, as most will, you have covered the area where most 97% of the music will occur. Your question revolves around whether you want a sub or not. With a sub in the system, it is the larger driver in the floorstander that will be covering the midrange. I don't find that appealing in most cases. Dispersion from the larger driver begins to narrow above 1200Hz and the switch to the smaller tweeter is often more obvious.

I think if you want the best answer it is - as it always is - go listen for yourself to whatever models you are considering and then make up your own mind. No matter which way you go there will be advantages and disadvantages. It's the buyer's job to decide what they want and what they are willing to trade off; not those of us on a forum. We made our decision and each of us probably chose a little different than the other.

Bronze Member
Username: Blasterman

Post Number: 21
That normally requires at least four speakers. How would you do it in non strip mall logic?

Four speakers to me sounds like two mains and two rears. In order of priority for surround sound: I'd rather have two mains and a good quality center to differentiate dialogue for HT before adding on the surrounds later. That, according to my math, comes to *three* speakers and not four, unless the poster is doing a split front center, which I doubt. Unless you are advocating two mains and two rears and deal with muddy and incoherent dialogue that a quasi DSP mode might/or might render tolerable for movies. I'd rather have a good center first and add the rears later.

your statement concerning small bookshelves mating less well compared to a large speaker designed by the same company seems a bit too broad

In the past 10 years I've had discussions in person with engineers from NHT, Legacy , B&W, Velodyne and a host of others on this very topic (I'm fortunate to have a few friends that own high end Audio shops and our cocktail parties are legend). *All* agreed with my apathy towards cookie cutter 2-way designs and preferred large standing towers in their living room.Oddly, the engineer from Velodyne felt the most distaste for the conventional book shelf two-way he described as 'sonically cliche', but kept him gainfully employed.

Given a decent design with the same sensitivity between the two designs, they will both reach pretty much the same SPL with the same amount of dynamic range

In an anechoic room with linear frequency sweeps. Big deal, and irrelevant. Only a moron thinks a 6" driver can produce sound frequencies below 100hz with as much efficiency as much larger driver without making a compromise somewhere. If I took this seriously, I'd be believing that a really good crossover design can violate the laws of physics and create energy from no where. Might be another reason the Chineses are building speakers with inrceasing quality without an increase in electronics complexity.

Lets cut to the chase in that most defenders of two way speakers are an@l retentive audiophile types who's mainstay consist of chamber music and light jazz, and sitting perched like a stupid bird in the sweet spot of their speakers. Damn things don't sound good if you are sitting any place else because they have to be super directional to keep above 85db efficiency and fall off like a shot duck off axis. Most casual audio and HT listeners aren't going to squat in one spot on the couch and squint to hear how good the imaging on various recordings is. If I wanted to do that I'd do it right and invest in a pair of good headphones. This nulls the two ways are less commplex than three ways and hence have better sound arguement before it gets uttered.

However, which would you rather have reproducing the vocal range. A small, light 5" driver or a larger, say 10", heavier and slower driver?

I'd rather have the 5" driver optimized entirely to integrate smoothly with the tweeter and produce as clean a transition as possible in the very audible 2-3kz range -vs- also having to produce high energy bass below 150 cycles which it's not designed to do regardless of your over-hyped crossver. The only way to get really good bass extension from a 6" driver is to either use a large Xmax, which impedes it's ability to simultaneously produce coherent higher frequency sound, or put it in a big box, align it accordingly, and rely on 'box gain' to fill in the sub 100hz roll-off. Try putting a 6" driver in an open baffle array and see how much bass it produces without the aid of 20lbs of MDF compared to a 10 or 12". Oh yeah, make sure you put the ports on the rear of your glorious two way to get as much reflective bass gain from the rear wall while making it a b!tch to place otherwise. This is another aspect of most two ways that annoy me.
I'd much rather have a 3-way or 4-way with the midrange crossed over well above 150cycles, and a larger driver handling the low end like it's designed to. Most of the really good 3 and 4 way designs have a much higher low crossover point than my 150hz example (usually 300-900hz), and yet most subwoofer implementations rarely cross above 100hz. Gee, why is that?

Your question revolves around whether you want a sub or not<p>

Uh no, it's not. I've listened to most of the Athena line, and the bigger FS1's and 2's sound MUCH better than the smaller bookshelf's augmented with a sub. A sub is nothing more than a hack to get around what you should have bought in the first place.

2-way bookshelf speakers are like screaming brats at an amusement park; you can't get away from them, they are all over the place, and after awhile, they all sound the same.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2355
Sam knows......

Jan??...well.....err......... He still doesnt get it.

HEH

Im sure his small speakers perform great for his chamber music needs, but when it comes to reproducing the impressive movie effects...well.....there will be much to be desired.

Silver Member
Username: Diablo

Fylde Coast, England

Post Number: 241
Any speaker choice for a system which has to serve for both home theatre and music will be a compromise of some sort.

The best solution for me was to use floorstanders as fronts. They replaced some big bookshelf types which were on stands. This has improved both the amount and quality of bass available. The quality improvement was noticable when doing comparative listening - very much cleaner and less strained. Not really a fair comparison because they cost several times the price of the bookshelves.

I have tried using a centre speaker several times over the years, but it isn't really worth it in my long thin (28 by 12 feet) listening room with the TV/speakers on one of the short walls. Using 'phantom' mode gives crisp and clear central dialogue.

I generally have the tone controls switched out for 'serious' music listening, though for the occasional 'action movie'and rock music I zoom up the bass control - this vibrates the floor sufficiently for my liking.

Seems a good compromise - but may only suit me. :-)

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5619

Sam - You certainly have strong opinions. Be very careful on this forum when you have strong opinions. People will say you're arrogant. Particularly when you so gleefully declare anyone who disagrees with you to be @nal retentive and so on.

There's no reason to disagree with any of your assessments regarding the advantages of larger, more complex multiple driver speaker systems. As a whole, you are spot on with the benefits to be found in such designs.

However ...

To denigrate all compact two way designs as inadequate is first a disservice to the question asked and second missing the benefits of a compact two way design due to your myopia regarding the many crappy compact two way designs that are on the market. I find little purpose defending what we both see as mass market junk disguised as high end substitutes. Most speakers sold today have serious flaws. That is not the issue however.

The question that was asked was exactly this, "typically speaking, is it worth spending the extra $100 to upgrade from bookshelf fronts to towers?"

Now, while I agree there are numerous large floorstanding speakers that have performance capabilites well beyond the mortal compact two way designs typically found in this price range, what are we talking about in this thread? We are not discussing moving up to a speaker which sells for several times the price of what is being considered. We are talking about spending an additional $100. Apparently your myopia has clouded your reading ability.

What will $100 gain this person? It is unlikely it will get him better drivers. You simply can't put a better driver into a larger box and then expect to sell it at retail for an additional $100. In most cases, the additional $100 will get this person the exact same speakers and XO placed in a larger box. Period! There may be some nicer cabinet work or a small gain in efficiency, but that is unlikely to be worth the additional $100 when he is facing a budget. If there is an additional driver put in the $100 more expensive floorstander, how good do you think that speaker "system" will be for the additional cost at retail? Not very would be my assessment when I have no model numbers to judge specific products. If it remains a two way with a larger woofer, I would still recommend the smaller driver in the smaller box as the least bad of his choices.

So, Sam, take your little cat bird argument and reserve it for a question concerning Wilson Watts vs. whatever David Wilson is pushing for $45,000 today. Your argument, while worth considering in some instances, does not hold water in this particular case.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5620

As to four speakers in a surround format vs. three across the front. That is an argument that can only be answered by what two speakers ar in the front and what the placement restrictions are in this particular set up. Which we do not know. Personally, I would opt for putting more money into two front speakers only and getting something that doesn't rely on horrible DSP modes or a center for its ability to place images and dialog. Once again, that was not the question asked by the original post.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5621

Sam has obviously had the opportunity at these legendary cocktail perties to get the designers of high end products into a discussion of what they would like to design if everyone could afford to buy $??,000 loudspeakers. Like almost any of us, these designers would rather be deisgning, just as we might rather be listening to, expensive well made statements products. Unfortunately most of us are left with the "sonically cliche'd" speakers that real world people are given by these manufacturers.

I, for one, find the attitude they are selling us "sonically cliche'd" products a bit insulting. Please, gentlemen, if that is your attitude, do like David Wilson or Enso Ferrari. Sell your statement products only to those fortunate enough to afford them and leave the rest of the market to those designers who really want to design something that is not a cliche.

Whatever.

Out of curiosity; does anyone know of a speaker line where stepping up $100 per pair for a floorstanding speaker over a smaller stand mount design actually gives you a real world performance increase? Not just a few Hz in the bass (that you probably won't notice); but a real world difference in performance. A greater quantity of bass is not what I consider a real performance improvement if it is achieved merely by placing the same driver in a larger box.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5622

p - How many times do I have to tell you? I do not care about "impressive movie effects". I do not want my system to "impress" me. I just want my system to reproduce music. OK?

Hi-Rez
Unregistered guest
As a matter of interest I stepped back from $Au2000 towers to $Au1200 standmounts for superior musical benefits. Lovely timber veener finish lost out to lovely vinyl veneer but what the heck - looks or music?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5623

Hey, p, before you go thinking you and sam are soul mates; why don't you ask him what he thinks of Cerwin Vega's large speakers? I don't think he had those in mind when he gave his answer.

And, sam, do you think the original question had anything to do with open baffle designs?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5624

Now, this is getting frustrating! I can't seem to find any information on the Athenas speakers sam mentioned. I've never heard these speakers. Does anyone have a link to information regarding these two speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Diablo

Fylde Coast, England

Post Number: 242
I've never heard Athena AS-F1s or any other Athenas either, but they seem to get good reviews, certainly at their price-point.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5628

Thanks, diablo. So we're discusing two floor standing speakers here; not a stand mount against a floor moddel? And the difference I see is an additional woofer in the FS2.2. We are still talking essentially two way speakers. Not the three or four way designs sam prefers? I can't find a price. Does anyone know what the retail price difference is?

From the FS1.2's page:

"The AS-F1.2 is engineered specifically to provide deep authoritative bass response in a two-way floorstanding design, at the best possible price. The 8" (20cm) woofer platform assures high power handling, working in tandem with the enclosure's air volume for deep, true bass response. Imaging is superb due to its two-way design ... "

From the FS2.2's page:

"The AS-F2 is a remarkable achievement in terms of engineering. It combines the bass output and high sound pressure level output of pro audio speakers, with the refinement and sound quality of audiophile speakers, all at an extremely competitive price. Designing a quality speaker system isn't difficult when the sky's the limit for price (my emphasis), but given the aggressive goals of the athena team, the engineering staff had their hands full. They succeeded on all counts, and the result is a true full range speaker system with exceptional sound, and modern cosmetics."

The Athena folks seem quite happy with both speakers. Why, they even praise the imaging (due to its two way design, if you'll notice, sam) of the FS1.2 and the cosmetics of the FS2.2.

If we are to stay within the bounds of this question, though, shouldn't any comparison within the Athena line be bewteen something on the order of the BS1.2 and the FS1.2?

What's the difference in retail pricing there?

And, (would someone correct me if I'm wrong here) we are talking about the same tweeter in all three speakers (BS1.2' FS1.2 & FS2.2); is that correct? So above whatever the XO point is on the Athena speakers (I assume it's roughly the same XO to the tweeter on all Athena's?), we are talking the exact same speaker?

sam, help me out here.

Paul, you've been unusually erudite lately. Do you have any explanations?

Silver Member

Post Number: 350
this is the original poster. i have been highly entertained reading all these replies and have now realized the truth behind opinions and listening preferences. i have not decided if i should go with 4 athena as-b1's, a center, and a subwoofer OR front tower speakers plus two rears and a center. i have no way of listening to products due to living in a small town so your input is very appriciated.
i would love to experience the sound and effects of a 20,000 dollar system but im on a budget and like any other college student, im not patient enough to wait until i have a high paying job.
so with regards to this thread issue, i am just asking if $400/pair floor speakers such as Athenas above will produce the bass of a HSU stf-2. i originally was going with 4 athena bookshelfs and a center + a HSU sub which == approximately $700.
BUT the sound of more expensive bookshelfs would be better quality compared to the bookshelfs, so if the AS-F1 or 2's can produce the bass of the HSU than i will certainly rather spend $700 on floor speakers and two bookshelfs+ a center.

Can a 90watt/channel receiver such as the new Yamaha rx-v657 power floor speakers enough or would i have to buy an extra amp?

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 491
db -

I don't think any non-powered floorstander within your or 99% of our budgets will reach the bass of the HSU sub. If you want the towers because you think they'll put out just as much deep and quality bass as the HSU, you're not going to be very happy with your purchase.

The towers might be able to produce bass that is deep and clean enough for your tastes, but only you could answer that one. It will never compete with the HSU sub, and will never even try to. If you personally asked the Athen design team, I'm sure they would say the same thing.

Can you return this stuff if you don't like it? To save a few bucks you may want to think about buying the towers and see how they fit into your needs. If you need more bass, you could either return them and get the bookshelves and sub, or keep them and add the sub down the road when you've got a few more dollars.

As far as the 90 watt Yamaha... If the impedence of the speakers is within the Yammie's impedence range, I don't think their should be too many problems. Rather than focusing soley on watts, check the nominal and minimum impedence, and sensitivity of the speakers, and see if the receiver can handle that load. Higher sensitivity in a speaker means that it doesn't need as much power to create sound.

Username: Uncle_fester

Transylvania

Post Number: 7
> so if the AS-F1 or 2's can produce the bass of the HSU

They can't. That's not what they are meant to do, they are mainly for music, see. :-)

HSUs are built for for the people who want their bottoms vibrating when watching ghastly movies or listening to Spinal Tap CDs.

As you are a youngster, that is almost excusable.

Go for the bookshelf speakers and the sub.

Silver Member

Post Number: 351
ya im a bass addict. ill go with the bookshelfs and hsu. thanks guys

Silver Member

Post Number: 352
i just was reading up on a new thread where the guy wanted to get the athenas for his yamaha rx-v596. edster mentioned this would cause for a bright and harsh sound and recommended a warmer speaker.
i am going with the version up yamaha rx-v657. i has been getting incredible reviews.
will the athenas with this receiver cause the same sound or will my setup work well?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5634

Uh, haven't you learned anything about opinions?

Silver Member

Post Number: 353
im a hypocrite. is it the athena speakers or the yamaha receivers that tend to be harsh? i heard the old yamahas did but the new ones have been doindg really well (better than say denon) in reviews

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5637
Yamaha has also been spending more money on advertising than Denon. Well, Denon did have that whole series of ads in "Squirrel Nuts Monthly". But that doesn't really count. They got good rates.

Seriously, if you don't know what a reviewer's prejudices are, you cannot judge whether what they say has any bearing on the course of the planets across the autumnal sky. In other words, if you don't know what a reviewer likes and dislikes and you've heard the same and agree; you cannot let a review make any difference in your opinion. Whether you live in a remote area or not, judge the products by what you hear and not by what you read.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5638

And just for anyone wondering - I already let my subscription to "Squirrel Nuts Monthly" run out. It was one of those magazines that was very repetitive.

Unlike the audio magazines, of course.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3950
No db-bass you are not a hypocrite, more like confused and indecisive. You do not know what you want and your mind keeps changing with the minutes. Granted that you are not near anything that will allow you to actually listen to any of these equipment, you would still be hard pressed to make a decision.

Silver Member

Post Number: 957
The bottom line at some point DB you are gonna have to go listen for self.You can use reviews for a starting point so you can find out whats out there on the market,but thats it,you must go listen or youll be asking questions for months without a purchase.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2358
The bottom line is that if you want petite sound, then buy petite little speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 976
Or if he wants bad sound he can buy CVs like you.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5665

p - You were doing so well. And now this. I'm so disappointed.

Silver Member
Username: Jimvm

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 195
"In my opinion, depending on what the speakers are and what subwoofer is being used, it's quite possible to build a spectacular home-theater system around floorstanders OR BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS." (emphasis mine) Doug Schneider, SoundStage magazine.

Now tell me db-bass, whose opinion carries more weight -- Mr. Doug Schneider, a respected professional audio reviewer or Mr. Paul Money, a rank amateur who obviously suffers from an inferiority complex.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2367
It's nice to see the classy posters here have resorted to throwing personal insults.

I may insult tiny halfpint speakers and their 'lack' of performance.................
but never the owners who throw their money away when they buy them.

Silver Member

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 196
What?!!! You're only insulting speakers? Give me a break!!

What a hypocrite you are! Virtually every one of your posts is an oblique, underhanded insult to anyone who happens to choose bookshelf speakers for home theater. Your insults are worse because they are insidious -- carefully formulated to intentionally insult members of this forum at every opportunity while hiding behind, "I'm only talking about the speakers." Your comments and smart-a s s remarks are of the ilk that anyone with any manners would not make, particularly in light of the fact that many members have asked you to stop making them. But no, you continue in your troll-like fashion to criticize members' choice of speakers. Your insulting comments border on obsessive-compulsive. You unrelentingly beat your chest and yell, "I'm a real man because I have big speakers." Do yourself a favor -- grow up or get some professional counseling.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2371
I never make comments or statements about individuals.

I've said that worthless halfpint sized speakers should never be the focal point of a HT.

How you construe a general statement of that nature into a personal insult is your own problem.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1068
Paul is right. Small speakers=small sound. Now that sound may be pleasing to the ear, especially if it is coming from the upper echelon of bookshelves. But the comparable floor standers will almost always literally and figuratively blow them away. I don't always agree with Paul (as a matter of fact, I don't always agree with anyone). But when he's right, he's right. Don't like it, lump it.

Silver Member

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 197
Anytime someone says, in effect, "Your choice of (pick something) sucks," it's insulting. If you're not intelligent enough to see that, then I can't help you.

And no, Paul is not right. He's wrong. And you're wrong. Don't like it, lump this.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5679

Wiley - What's gotten into you lately that you are so consistently wrong?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 667
Stating anyone who lisens to "half pint boutique speakers sips wine and eats cheese while listening to classical music" isn't an underhanded insult to anyone that owns those speakers?

Silver Member

Post Number: 354
Im tired of having to delete numerous nonsense backlash replies in my mailbox. please anyone that wants to take their frustrations out please start a new thread labeled --" 'Sexually Inactive' Caused Frustration-Argue Here"

Silver Member

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 198
db-bass - You have my apology for going off on a tangent on your thread. I admit that it was out of frustration that I did so. However, I hasten to add that the frustration was unrelated to s e x u a l inactivity -- or s e x u a l activity for that matter.

Bronze Member
Username: Frostyda9

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 59
Entertaining thread.

"typically speaking, is it worth spending the extra $100 to upgrade from bookshelf fronts to towers?"

Since everyone got so tangled up in the bookshelf vs. floorstander debate (once again)I thought I'd point out one thing: the extra $100 spent to upgrade to the floorstanding verion of the bookshelf speakers will negate the need for speaker stands. If the stands are fairly expensive, this may make fiscal sense.

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 364
Depends on how well braced and damped the floorstander version is versus the bookshelf. In my experience it usually isn't favorable to the floorstander.

OTOH 60 bucks will get you some good heavy, metal, fillable stands which will not resonate.

Bronze Member
Username: Frostyda9

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 60
DMW - when you say "blow them away" are you referring to general sonic qualities, or sheer dynamic impact? I am presuming the latter, which I would agree with. But since JV disagrees with you, I have to wonder if you intended the former?

Silver Member

Post Number: 356
well i hadent researched enough when i said "extra $100, i should have put 'extra $250 or so'".
in the case of Athena which i am interested in their floorstanders (AS-F1's or 2's) are at least $200-300 more than the AS-B1's.
i will listen to a lot of music on my system which is usually done in 2.1 so I will probably go with floorstanders (i will be one of those hearing-impared future adults that my generation has so many of) I like to crank it up.

This thread is fun people are finally starting to comment when they want and not to just criticize me for delaying my decision too long-thanks peeps!)
so, if anyone is interested can they please tell me why the Athena AS-B1's are considered "Bright, sometimes harsh". is it from listening to them or can you tell by sensitivity or something. thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1072
Jan, to be called wrong by the likes of Jimvm is a badge of honor. Must always consider the source.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5687

You seem awfully testy here lately, Wiley. Have you been staying on the meds?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1077
I'm always testy. It's my nature. What's your excuse?

Silver Member

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 200
Ya know Wiley, you wrote in another thread that you will not "turn the other cheek" on this forum. Well, I figured out why -- you can't; your face is buried too far up Paul's rear end.

Sorry again db-bass; I couldn't help myself.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2384
Self Rationalizer:"C'mon...my 15lb lightweights can hang with any large floorstander, and easily fill a room with sound. I know this is true because my wife yells at me to turn it down all the time, and I can hear things vibrating."

Sincerely,
Delusional Listener

Silver Member

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 201
Paul wrote: "I never make comments or statements about individuals."

He also wrote the following:

"The 'music snobs' will try to explain how these speakers sound terrible without ever having listened to them, but they're only trying to rationalize spending much more on tiny 2-way bookshelves. You know....trying to make themselves feel good about their own choices."

"What's your major?? Woodshop?"

"To me, buying small bookshelf speakers to front your home theater is as stupid as buying a Ferrari Enzo lug your wife and three children on a 1,000 mile road trip."

"Ok, since we're in a thread titled "Axioms" and you're making a stupid point that doesnt need to be made..."

"You are all nuts!!!"

"How people can throw away good money on what amounts to small overpriced paperweights is beyond me."

"Nevermind the 'music snobs' because most of them have no idea what they're talking about."

"Maybe he's just a sissy music snob who prefers tiny lightweight, petite, overpriced, paperweight speakers playing chamber music to avoid getting headaches???"

"I was just trying to reword in more simple terms just in case he's a liberal."

"Jan & Dean played 'girly' chick music. Im sure most DEMs could relate."

"Why on earth would someone who just spent $3500 on a new system be asking this question?? PS... Hey everybody, as some of you know, I recently bought a new receiver too. Should I keep it or buy a new one?? HEH.."

"How does being the monkey who presses play on a projector have any correlation with being a speaker expert?? Yea, yea....I know, you also switch reels. Whoah...that must take a lot of experience. About as much as required for the guy working the popcorn machine down in the lobby."

"I hear the Atoms are great, and sound as 'big' as a pair of bookshelf speakers. The perfect choice for any man who lets his spouse wear the pants and make the HiFi buying decisions."

"Gotta love it when the 'music snobs' try to self-rationalize overpaying for teensy-weensy nothing speakers."

"Luckily, america 'gets-it', and is continuing to vote more and more DUMBocrats out of office."

"The music snobs will respond saying the halfpint speakers are more refined. . ."

"People who think a tiny 30lb halfpint with a 95db "rating" can fill a large room with sound as well as a similarly rated behemoth have a screw loose."

"You Lefties better quit smokin' that wacky tobacky, put down those no war for oil signs, remove the many 'a fetus is not a baby' signs, pack it in over at the naked 'lay-in' protest on main street, and come back down to earth with the rest of civilization."

"Give me a break, you can train an organ grinder monkey to perform the duties of 'projector kid'. It's no more difficult than operating a reel-to-reel tape deck....... Whooo hoo.......How exciting!"

"Maybe he's angry that he was replaced by the organ grinder monkey. HEH Hey look at me, Im an experienced "DVD player" operator. hahahahaha That makes me an audio expert, ya know??"

"The reason Cody became frustrated is because this forum is filled with music snobs incapable of answereing the question."

"I've listened to plenty of overpriced & undersized music snob speakers through the years, and none of them measure up. They would provide better service as doorstops on a breezy day.(providing they wont blow over by the slightest breeze). Tawaun, you're about as believable as that nutcase who said he would give away 5pairs of SDAT towers."

"Are you a HS dropout?? I dont think typing is your problem, but rather your 7th grade writing level."

"He needs to avoid the sissy girlyman speakers designed for limp wristed folks. . ."

"He's the board druggie."

"I find it interesting that music snobs like yourselves dont care enough about your quality of sound to listen up close to compare and contrast tweeter output of various speakers while shoppng."

I think most people would agree that each of those comments is intended to be personally insulting to particular individuals on this forum.

Sorry again db-bass but Paul's inaccurate statement screamed for a reply.

Silver Member

Post Number: 371
LOL. Good one.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5700

Between Wiley and Paul, this thread has become ridiculous. I'll take my exit now. I know I'll be missed. But there will be plenty of other opportunites for you to play the fool. Why, look, over on "Receivers", there's one starting up right now!

You can insult me now if your tiny, little pea brains just can't stand letting anyone else have a last word.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1082
Hoorah. Let's fly the flags at half mast!!!!

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 523
Hey Jimvm - Thanks for compiling some of Paul's greatest hits in one location. Now whenever I need a good laugh, I can go to one place rather than weeding through countless threads. Just like every other compilation, there are other good ones out there that didn't make the list due to space constraints.

Silver Member

Post Number: 981
Wow Jimvm way to go is good is its a just a very small collection of that idiots stupid coments.Paul P.I.S.S. 500 Trillion thats more than americas debt budget way to go Paul your on way to the Giuneas book of world records for being the worlds most rude and ignorant audio buff.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 528
Don't kid yourself Tawaun, I'm sure their are plenty worse out there. Once you think you've seen it all, something else comes along...

Silver Member

Post Number: 984
Yeah your actually right Stu,the only thing were on this forum a lot and Paul appears day after day with the same riftraft,so I guess that makes it easy to point the finger at him for all his stupid coments.But their has been a arival of 2 other idiots that may be worst than Paul,those 2 measuring idiots Kurt Cannon and that dreadful moron Paul Bayless,so Paul for now you are in 3rd place,dont get me wrong you still are the all time troll on Ecoustics,but these 2 have the potential to pass you up.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 536
A new addition to Paul's greatest hits -

"Some people are smart enough, and know that it isnt always necessary to eat sh!t to know that it will taste bad."

I couldn't help it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 988
Paul P.I.S.S. 600 trillion!!,but very funny though(im over here cracking up!}

Silver Member

Post Number: 145
Tawaun, you mean me? The same "dreadful moron" who challenged you not once, but THREE TIMES to provide me some fact (math or physics based) proof of any one thing I have posted that is wrong? For the benefit of the other posters in this thread, Tawaun has been unable to do so to this point. Nor will he be able to anytime in the future. Keep my name out of your rants Tawaun. You have already proven yourself unworthy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 368
good thread turned unproductive, thanks guys

Gold Member

Post Number: 2449
Taw is an illiterate joke...

dont bother with him.

Anonymous

An illiterate is still a much better source of info than a COMPLETE RETARD REDNECK like you, Paul.

Silver Member

Post Number: 150
sam eastman, are you in any way shape or form related to one Tawaun A Williams?

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
Sam, you said "if I took this seriously, I'd be believing that a really good crossover design can violate the laws of physics and create energy from no where" Sam, the really good crossovers are in line with the laws of physics. But they are the minority by a long shot.
You also said "Lets cut to the chase in that most defenders of two way speakers are an@l retentive audiophile types who's mainstay consist of chamber music and light jazz, and sitting perched like a stupid bird in the sweet spot of their speakers. Damn things don't sound good if you are sitting any place else because they have to be super directional to keep above 85db efficiency and fall off like a shot duck off axis. Most casual audio and HT listeners aren't going to squat in one spot on the couch and squint to hear how good the imaging on various recordings is.
Sam, I hate to break it to ya, but that sweet spot your talking about has absolutely NOTHING to do with the speaker being a two way design. It has EVERYTHING to do with the type and slope of the crossover.
Then there's this: "The only way to get really good bass extension from a 6" driver is to either use a large Xmax, which impedes it's ability to simultaneously produce coherent higher frequency sound" Xmax is a driver measurement. Has NOTHING to do with coherancy. WOW....that was a reach.
And finally you offer us this gem:"I'd much rather have a 3-way or 4-way with the midrange crossed over well above 150cycles, and a larger driver handling the low end like it's designed to. Most of the really good 3 and 4 way designs have a much higher low crossover point than my 150hz example (usually 300-900hz), and yet most subwoofer implementations rarely cross above 100hz."
Sam, this statement tells us you simply don't care about coherancy anyway. I'd suggest you drink less at your hi-end cocktail parties.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2465
You also said "Lets cut to the chase in that most defenders of two way speakers are an@l retentive audiophile types who's mainstay consist of chamber music and light jazz, and sitting perched like a stupid bird in the sweet spot of their speakers. Damn things don't sound good if you are sitting any place else because they have to be super directional to keep above 85db efficiency and fall off like a shot duck off axis.
========================

LOL

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5782

PB - "It has EVERYTHING to do with the type and slope of the crossover."

Not everything. The Xo type, along with the placement of the drivers on the baffle, will affect vertical lobing. Unless your listening position is on the floor or ceiling, there just might be more to do with the sweet spot than the Xo. But, yes, you are correct, the original statement is far from accurate on so many counts.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1105
I thought Jan had taken his leave. Guess the reports that this thread had finally become second to none were premature.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5785

Wiley, please, I beg of you, get back on the medications. Your rambling non sequiturs are really just embarrassing yourself and no one else.

You have taken a dislike to me ever since I proved you a dunce so many months ago. Wiley, I shall make a concerted effort to avoid wherever you place your fetid, malodorous presence. It would only be the slightest bit of human courtesy for you to refrain from butting into a conversation only to insult someone who is your superior in knowledge here. Now, are you prepared to display the common courtesy any mother teaches their child? Or, are you going to continue to act like the dung beetle you appear to be?

"Snappy" reply, wiley? You do them so poorly.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1112
"Or, are you going to continue to act like the dung beetle you appear to be?" Yep. I'll keep on keepin' on. I will track you down and harass you wherever and whenever I can. It's my mission.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5793

And, wiley, an admirable career goal for you would be ... ?

Wiley, I am through with you. You are wasting everyone's time here with your petty grievances. Say whatever you think indicts me in your wildest flights of block headed stupification.

I prefer to be beneficial to the forum. If you prefer being a picked scab, that is your poorly chosen vocation.

Goodbye, wiley, it has not been pleasant dealing with you.

Silver Member

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 215
Dale wrote: "Yep. I'll keep on keepin' on. I will track you down and harass you wherever and whenever I can. It's my mission."

Ya know, I recall the first untoward comment you made to me. Remember? Back in April, for no reason whatsoever, you wrote: ". . .you're entitled to your worthless opinion."

Well, shortly after that, I did some checking on the internet and discovered that a Dale M. Wiley from Danville, Virginia was a Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court Judge in the 22nd Judicial District of Virginia. Further research determined that Judge Wiley was Danville's first Black judge. I also found one or two evaluations of a Sony product by a Dale M. Wiley from Danville, Virginia.

Putting two and two together, my initial thought was that you were Judge Wiley. But as time went by and I read more of your posts, I thought to myself, you couldn't be Judge Wiley; no judge would behave in that juvenile fashion. I just figured that you must be the judge's immature son.

Then, about an hour ago, I discovered one of your posts in the phono section in which you said, "Let's just say I made history when I assumed my current position and unlike you, nothing was ever given to me. I worked extra hard to overcome barriers of race and God's grace kicked in when I faced rampant discrimination." So, the only conclusion I can draw is that you must be the judge.

While I certainly can commend your achievments as a lawyer and a jurist, I must say you sure don't behave like a judge on this forum. You behave more like a punk kid whose daddy might be a judge. In my 30 years of law enforcement experience, the vast majority of the judges, both state and federal, that I have come into contact with have been honest, fair, mature and of even judicial temperament. But, I must admit that in those 30 years I have encountered more than a couple of immature, bone-headed and arrogant judges. I hope you don't behave on the bench the way you behave on this forum.

Ya know, it's one thing to contemporaneously respond to someone's insult with one of their own, but to put forth the proposition that it is their mission to continually harass someone, I'd say it could be argued that it borders on a civil, if not a criminal wrong. And I find it amazing that it's coming from a judge.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 554
The problem with the internet is that people can use any name they feel like using. Who knows who he really is? And quite frankly, who cares? Any creative person who has a little time on their hands could have come up with what he came up with.

"I will track you down and harass you wherever and whenever I can. It's my mission."

Would any judge ever publically say this and use their real name while doing so?

What's to stop you from registering the name Bill Clinton? You could tell people to keep interns, stained dresses, and cigars as far away from each other as possible. Would anyone here believe you really were Bill Clinton?

One of two things - they coincidentally have the same name, and he's just an idiot who was trying to get the last word with that post - which didn't happen by the way. Or he's a punk kid who got locked up by the Judge and thinks it's funny to harass people while using the Judge's name.

I'd bet the latter.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1425
Good theory there Stu.

stephen tyler
Unregistered guest
I think Jan, you are very condescending and annoying in your statements. Your attacks on Sam were incredibly defensive for an attack you initiated. You historically go off the "thread" subject with your own banter that makes people with real questions feel foolish for asking. I myself being one of those people. I oppolgize to you for this attack, but I had to.

Silver Member

Post Number: 153
Jan, what I commented on was the statement "Lets cut to the chase in that most defenders of two way speakers are an@l retentive audiophile types who's mainstay consist of chamber music and light jazz, and sitting perched like a stupid bird in the sweet spot of their speakers. Damn things don't sound good if you are sitting any place else because they have to be super directional to keep above 85db efficiency and fall off like a shot duck off axis. Most casual audio and HT listeners aren't going to squat in one spot on the couch and squint to hear how good the imaging on various recordings is" The simple fact that a speaker is a two way, three way, four way, five way, six way, seven way or Tawaun way will absolutely NOT have ANY effect on the so called sweet spot. Crossover? YES. Absolutely. High order crossovers do exhibit different off axis response curves than low order units, as they totally destroy the musical waveform. Tawauns cousin, I guess. Maybe they should form a team. Maybe they should form a union.
Stephen, allow me to intervene on Jan's behalf. Not sure how much you know about audio or how long you have been in the business/hobby, but for those of us that have done so for 20, 30 or more years, to read the comments Tawaun or Sam spew out with amazing effeciency is offensive. Stephen, would you rather NOT have folks in this forum to point out the miss-information being spread? Would you somehow feel better figuring it out yourself? You do have that option simply by buying on the fly whatever your heart desires. But you come here for advice. Jan, myself and a few others police the site to make sure novices are not being mis-led. Hope that helps.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2483
Jan, what I commented on was the statement "Lets cut to the chase in that most defenders of two way speakers are an@l retentive audiophile types who's mainstay consist of chamber music and light jazz, and sitting perched like a stupid bird in the sweet spot of their speakers. Damn things don't sound good if you are sitting any place else because they have to be super directional to keep above 85db efficiency and fall off like a shot duck off axis. Most casual audio and HT listeners aren't going to squat in one spot on the couch and squint to hear how good the imaging on various recordings is"

=======================

Paul,
Beautifully said. I think you have the resident 'cheese & wine' sapps pegged to a tee. You also nailed the performance of their pathetic 'mini-me' speakers.

Anonymous

sorry Paul, even if I disagree with Bayless the man still has more brain cells in his little finger than you'll ever have between those stupid redneck ears of yours.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2076
Anon, don't you think you're being kind of insulting to Bayless by comparing him to Mr. Cerwin Vega here?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2486
Eddie,
You cant blame me for desiring dramatic room filling sound from my HT. It beats sitting six feet away from your speakers on your perch like a cockatoo trying to squeeze out a few extra dbs from an undersized and underpowered system during movies.

As it relates to small speakers, there should be a warning label on the packaging......."only open for chamber music". The funny thing is that mine probably sound every bit as accurate during movies, plus.... they output 'real' sound and not that of the watered down variety emmitted by small imposter speakers of the boutique variety.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1426
Ah yes, are we equating room-filling sound with soundstage imaging again?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2489
I suppose if I were a music snob cheese muncher like some in this forum, I might detect some weaknesses from my speakers. However, that would only be the case if I was to plop down on my 'perch' six feet away while playing chamber music while squinting and straining to evaluate the intricate details.

As it relates to kicking back, and enjoying an epic movie, you wont hear any weaknesses. The music snob speakers will have exactly ZERO over my trusty old behemoths. The only difference is that their sound will be weak and unsubstantial by comparrison.

If I ever change my listening habits, and turn into one of those @nal music snobs who sit 6 feet away on a perch while straining to critique each and every recording, I'll definitely consider buying a pair of 'mini-me' speakers designed for that purpose.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2080
LOL Paul you are a hopeless simpleton, all you do is latch on to one little grade-school ditty and then keep regurgitating it about a dozen times every five seconds. Kind of like your idol Rush Limbaugh, LOL.

First it was, "girlyman petite bookshelf speakers"

Then it was, "breakdown-prone toaster-looking NADs," then "WAF girlymen," then "sick and nasty beast SVS"

Now it's "six feet perched between your speakers" (which you stole from Paul Bayless)

Somebody should do a little compilation CD of PAUL'S KINDERGARTEN RHYMES, great for those nights when you just can't seem to fall asleep...

But mostly all these 2-bit rhymes of yours only expose your own deeply limited mental abilities and compulsive hunger for attention and self-validation by constantly trying to annoy as many people as often as possible.

You know Paul, you don't have to do it for us, but I'm sure your wife and kids would very thankful if you could just find yourself a good therapist.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2493
Then it was, "breakdown-prone toaster-looking NADs,"
---------

If you're going to quote me, you might as well do it right. The ARCAM is the toaster.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2083
true, I don't wanna mess up The Gospel...

Silver Member

Post Number: 406
"Now it's "six feet perched between your speakers" (which you stole from Paul Bayless)"

Actually, for the sake of accuracy, it originated with Sam Eastman...PB was trying to say it was the fault of our high ordered crossovers and that his speakers don't have this problem.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2096
That's right. Got kinda lost amid that thicket of invective between PB and TW back there.

kyleGR
Unregistered guest
$100 -- wouldn't a decent set of speaker stands cost about this much, making the bookshelves equal in value to the floorstanders?

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
Edster.......what part of my post(s) do you not understand? I'll be more than happy to explain any or all of them to you. Tawaun is very un-informed. He is to audio what Jesse Ventura is to hair products.

Bronze Member
Username: Steelhrd

Post Number: 35
I admit to being an uninformed novice. This is why i come here to learn. The only legitmate way i can express an opinion is based on observation or listening. I have had bookshelf and i have floorstanders both boston acoustics. The floorstanders made a dramatic improvement to the sound of my system. The cousin whom i sold my spekers to recently came over and now is going to buy floorstanders.

Bronze Member
Username: Mojoracer

Post Number: 17
my Primus 360s made my system sound great, setup as small speakers and with the sub set at 80 Hz, sweet!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1061
Wow Bayless I didnt know you were over here taking advantage of my absence,you know I wouldnt have never let you get away with any of your nonsense if I was in the vacinity.Eddie just because Paul Bayless's posts look good doesent mean that he is brighter than Paul.Hell I remember when we were kids we could trace marvel comics or the funny pages in the newspaper,any moron can copy words off of a page even Paul,hell thats all Bayless does at least Paul has went out and listened and formed his own opinion whether we agree his opinions or not,all Bayless does is copy great audiophiles quotes and specs the man has no idenity of his own or no idea what really sounds good in real life situations.

Silver Member

Post Number: 169
Tawaun.......taking advantage? LMAOWTIME! Prove me wrong, Tawaun. You keep spousing purple prowse but you are completely unable to prove so much as ONE POST of mine wrong. Since you claim all I do is copy great audiophiles opinions, test my knowedge Tawaun. Go ahead.......do it. Or are you incapable of that too?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1065
Im up for a challange Bayless,but I dont think it will be the one you want.I dont know where you are from but where im from you put or you shut up,So Bayless I challenge you to systems challenge shootout,lets see if your system can stack up to mine which I surely doubt it lets see if your spec quoted system can walk the walk in real life yeah, thats right F1uCK the specs and F1uck measurements lets see if your lab experiaments can beat mine in a sound test,you said you travel come on you wont even have to find a motel you can stay at my house,oh dont worry you will be watched by a 70lb female pitbull named "Haley" who loves dady so its all good.So whats up chump thats how us real audiophiles do it we dont sit up and trade spec quotes over a forum we get systems set and we shut or put up.S o I challenge you do you accept or what or do you wanna keep reading your B1itch A.. stereophile magazine and keep your head up John Atkinsons A55?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1068
Thats what I thought Bayless you CHICKIN SH1T!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 173
Like that post deserves an answer? Tawaun, how old are you, anyway? 15? A Pit Bull attacked my daughter when she was 8. I shot it in the head.....repeatedly. Then I proceeded to kick the living Sh*T out of it's owner for letting it run loose. Then I took him to court and won. Keep your childish testosterone driven lifestyle under control or it will happen to you too. With the temper you have, you are the last person that should own a breed of dog known for killing and maiming people. But, judging by your comment " you will be watched by a 70lb female pitbull named "Haley" who loves dady so its all good" you must be the father of this animal. Got any pics of the conception, Tawaun? Doggy style, yeah?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1076
Well you couldnt ever kick the sh1t out me,I have a 2 year old my dog loves my daughter and any dog can bite pitbulls just get publicized for their actions,german sheperds,dobermans,and rotteweilers have been killing people for years,you like to read so much,im suprised you dont know the history of the dog.Im sorry your daughter got bit, I mean that from the bottom of my heart man,look man maybe we should let this go this is going to far kids are in our argument now,how immature of both of us,we both sound like kids.I dont blame you for what did to the owner and the dog,im a parent of 2 daughters so I can relate to you on that.With the temper I have beleive me I've really learned how to control it.Maybe we should just listen to each others point of views more closely,maybe we can both come up with a agreemnt on something.You are knowlegable spec wise I am with my ears.So alright I'll read what you have to say and quit criticizing you and maybe you can take a look at my point of view,no need for us to be enemies we both owe this forum both of our knowledge not our insults.To everyonelse sorry for me and Paul B.for being so rude.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us