DIY Computer Speakers

Username: 3k_fx

Iowa United State...

Post Number: 2
Before tackling any large DIY speakers, I'd like to build a small system that isn't too expensive or important, just in case something went wrong when I design it.

While just taking a quick look around the internet, I have come to realize I can't find any good amplifiers for this type of setup. I'd like to have a simple 2.1 computer speaker system, so preferablly, I'd have a line level output to the sub box, where there would be a built in amplifier that I can amp the signal with, and then send the signal on to the sub and the satelite speakers. At most I think I'd only need 200-250 watts, probably not even that much since I'll be building just a small replacement system.

I can only find sub plate amplifiers. Any help on finding a full range plate amplifer that isn't huge or overly expensive?

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 301
dang it! my window closed the 1st time i tried to reply.

i've never seen a biamplified plate. subwoofers are usually fed line outs, sub outs and in some cases work off speaker level feeds either passively or amplified.

you could build powered satellites. hypex makes class d amps (including subwoofer amps) that are so efficient that they don't need heat sinks. you could build powered satellites with the amps enclosed in the speakers with class d amps.

MCM electronics sells sub amps and a variety of "kit amps" (some prebuilt without power supplies) that range from 1 watt to 100 or 200 watts. 200 watt satellites is serious overkill for speakers you'll be sitting close to. most PC speakers have amps of just 5-15wpc. MCM has a 12wpc mini amp that you can get completely built for $20-$40. you could place it on your desk top and conrol the volume without getting up or opening your mixer.

if you REALLY want to DIY, you could even build your amps from scratch too.

whatever you do, make sure you use shielded drivers if you have an old school CRT monitor as magnetic fields mess CRTS up. plasma and LCD aren't magnetic.

another possibility is just using an outboard amp/reciever on top of the sub.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3856
Try alegria audio. I was interested in getting their kit. A regular here by the name of Timn8tr has details. Let me know if you decide to go for it.

Username: 3k_fx

Iowa United State...

Post Number: 5
In another post of mine https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/159839.html Timn8ter pointed me to the Sonic Impact T-amp. This seems to be perfect for an application such as this. Cheap, all the more power the speakers will ever need, and, from the reviews, exceptional quality.

Silver Member

Post Number: 319
dang logan... you beat me to the punch! LOL i just read a rave for the t-audio at 6 moons or tnt just last night. the amp is really starting to gain a cult following and has even spawned a mod version with a self charging 12v battery.

for a lousy $30, it's a nice impulse item... forget the raves! LOL i think i'll be getting one and a power supply (it can be used portable with 8 batteries) for my PC system to replace my busted yamaha 20wpc boombox amp for a cleaner, less space using setup and to have access to volume on my desktop.

i'm also considering one for my "custom bicycle system" as it's so much cheaper than getting a hypex class-d kit and building it.

somewhere, a reviewer called the t-amp better than any tube amp he'd ever heard. ($400 mod version i think)

for $30... you could just use it to power your ipod at the beach or even give it away as a present. to sub it, you'd only need a sub with speaker level inputs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 320

http://www.si-technologies.com/frontEnd/cm_productDetail.jsp?productID=18
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us