Really newbie question

Username: Ironshark

Post Number: 1
Hi:
I want to get speakers for my Kenwood VR-209 receiver, but I have a newbie question, the uotput of the receiver is 8 ohms, what happen if I connect to the output a 3 ohm speaker?, must be the same impedance for the speakers than the output of the receiver?
Thank you in advance to all.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3710
a little protection light wil come oh.
you will feel some heat if there is no protection and probably little puffs of smoke.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3711
a little protection light wil come on.
you will feel some heat if there is no protection and probably little puffs of smoke.

Username: Ironshark

Post Number: 2
LOL, all clear, thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 3716
What kind of speakers are trying to hook up?

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 290
DON'T do it!

if an amp is rated for 8 ohms... DON'T use speakers that are any lower rated than 6 ohms.

amps HATE speakers with too low an impedence. impedence is exactly what it's name says. it's the amount of resistence a speaker has to letting electricity flow through it.

a straight wire from an amp's positive to negative outputs would have nearly zero ohms impedence. it would also lett too much power flow and blow your amplifier out quickly.

that actually happened to me when my nad amplifier's wires got crossed when connected to a woofer that i hadn't yet mounted inside it's box. eventually, SOMETHING overheated, i saw a flash of light, and then smelled something electrical burning.

you'r better off using speakers with too high an impedence than too low.

most cheap (read japanese consumer) recievers either aren't specked to work with 4 ohms, or like my onkyo reciever, recommend against such a low impedence to begin with.

3 ohms would be even worse.

if you HAVE TO use that gear... whatever you do... don't crank it as loud as it will go.

if you want to use low impedence speakers with any amp, make sure the amp is rated for that load. otherwise, you'll be frying your amp the way my zero ohm short circuit fryed my reciever at a very low volume level.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us