Opinions on adcom, specif to gfa5802,gfp750

Username: Greenears

Post Number: 5
just wanted to hear some opinions, saving up for my first separates with bookshelfs, but still cant decide between sunfire 300 which cost more or the top of the line adcom combo, i've heard both and sunfire seems a bit warmer but still clean, adcom has the bang/buck factor
hmmmm

thx

daniel whitman
Unregistered guest
I've got both and I would say to stretch a bit for the Sunfire. Runs cool so you won't be heating your whole house when it's turned on plus you'll save a little on the electric bill. Bob's downtracking converter is just amazing in the fact that you always have the power when you need it. I think Adcom is a good starter amp but if it's possible go for the better amp right off the bat why not?

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 271
adcom is super tough to find info on! no-one seems to be reviewing their gear anymore now that audio magazine has folded. they gave adcom amps and preamps rave reviews.

i had inquired about adcom myself regarding magnepan speakers, and no-one really said anything about adcom, but there were a ton of opinions about rotel, parasound and NAD among a few others.

i don't like warm sound, so i'm making a mental note to avoid sunfire like the plague.

if i had a memory for reviews that extends beyond 5-8 years, i could report back on adcom.

i KNOW that it sounded decent enough when i informally auditioned gear in my city's main high end shop.

the general vibe that i assciate with adcom is "neutral". i also really like that brand for it's clean/simple looks.

if you have experience with both, then decide which is most important... the sound or your wallet.

if you like warm sound and want to get it as cheap as possible... look into NAD. as a treble freak... NAD doesn't impress me with softdome tweeters, but the brand always scores high in the budget range.

i'm SURE i'd lean more towards brighter rotel sound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us