Best amp for PSB Stratus mini?

Username: Alyosha

Post Number: 1
I am very new to this, looking to buy my very first "real" stereo system. I mostly listen to classical music (epsecially chamber) so when I heard the PSB Stratus Mini, I really liked them, especially for the solo instruments. Now that (I think) I have decided on the speakers, I would like to find a good amp for them.

The local store has a very limited selection. I heard the PSBs on their top of the line $2200 pre-amp/amp 120W and that sounded really good. Then I heard the NAD C320 and that was quite bad (it seems these speakers want a lot of power). The NAD C352 was better, but still not great on the loud orchestral pieces. They didn't have the NAD C372.

So, my question is: how much power do these PSBs really need? Would I just be happy getting the C370/372 without hearing it? Or is there something better in the same price range? What are people's experiences?

On another note, I am thinking of not getting a CD player and have the computer serve music (uncompressed, of course). Are there good amps with an optical input or do I need to get a separate DAC?

Thanks!
-a.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3498
The NAD c372 should serve you well and your PSBs, however, the problem I can foresee would be your music source. I have heard a lot of problems regarding noise when connecting PCs and receivers.

I also don't remember the 372 having optical inputs.

Are you going to listen to stereo only or are you looking into surround sound? You don't need to use opticals when you just want stereo.

Username: Alyosha

Post Number: 2
Stereo only.
But why would there be noise from the PC if you are sending information digitally? It shouldn't matter, no?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3561
You could try it, but it has nothing to do with the digital information. I am not an electronics expert but I have heard it happen before.

Username: Vm8444

Post Number: 3
try primaluna one,,I did and it powersa maggies 1.6 really well..this amp is killer for the money,,I payed 850 for a used one 3 months old,,by the way magnepan mmg or focus audio 68 se would smoke the psb,,i had paradigm stereo 20 ,,they were also nice,,missions are surprizing for a couple of hundred,,but classical music I would try maggies with the tube amp..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us