Bi-wiring for cambridge audio equipment

Username: Garo

LondonUK

Post Number: 9
I know this subject must have been covered many times before but can't seem to find the answers i need..

Anyway, i own a CA 640A amp and have a set of Wharfedale Diamond bi-wireable speakers.

I'm unsure how i should bi-wire the amp

Option A
wire so that only one length of speaker cable comes out of one speaker output (so that a total of 8 outputs are used) so this would mean using the "Speaker B" option for one speaker which CA advise is not advisable for consistant use!?

Option B
Use only the first 4 speaker outputs and attach the high AND low frequencies to the one terminal!

Obviously I will test for which sounds better but i don't want better sound at the expense of damaging my amp

Also, should I use the same speaker cable for both high and low frequencies and is their any sonic benifit from using dedicated bi-wire speaker cable?!

Any thought???

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 442
To bi-wire - Left speaker A goes to one set of binding posts, and Left B to the other set on the same speaker, using one wire for each (a total of two). Repeat the same for the Right side, for a total of 4 speaker wires coming out of 4 pairs (eight total) of binding posts.

Remove the plate connecting the binding posts on your speakers before you attach the wire.

If Cambridge doesn't recommend doing it this way (I don't understand why they don't reccomend it) then I wouldn't do it. They know their equipment better than any one else. Maybe they thought you were going to run multiple speakers from the same binding posts.

Types of speaker cable is a can of worms. I haven't heard any differences in cables that are appropriate in gauge for the length. I think exotic cables are one of the biggest rip-offs out there, but that's my opinion.

I also haven't heard any real sonic benefit from bi-wiring. If your opinions are different than mine, I'm sorry. Bi-amping does make a difference though.

For a good article on speaker cables check this out -

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

It also has a good chart for gauge sizes, impedence, and lengths.

Rob W
Unregistered guest
I have a cambridge A5 and like you I am skeptical about biwiring as there is no separation of frquencies at the AMP end. Although in the case of the A5 I am beginning to wonder as it indicates which pair should be used for non biwiring and which should be used for hi and Lo frequencies when biwiring. Therefore I was wondring whether there is some sort of crossover at the Amp end for this model - which would make a difference.
Further the manual only talks about the second set of posts for biwiring not for adding more speakers. Any thoughts?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us