Reciever + Amp perfect match????

Bronze Member
Username: Wired_for_sound

Chicago, Il U.s.a

Post Number: 11
I just purchased a yamaha rx v2500 ht reciever/polk rti-10s the sound is great for a 130wpc, but I also heard these speakers hooked up to a 250wpc carver amp(seperates) and the sound made me CRINGE!!!!! can I add an amplifier to this rx v2500 and achieve similar results?? what do i need to do if not? WORKING WITH LIMITED FUNDS HERE!!!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3411
Yes, you should be able to add a power amp to the pre-outs of the yamaha. You can try the 7 channel power amp from Outlaw Audio such as the 770 or the model 7125. Take note, this is not the same 125 wpc that Yamaha claims.

What is the limit of your funds? I have just recommended a $1500 amp.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5135

Have you considered maybe its more than just the power difference between the receiver and the separates that made you CRINGE!!!!! Adding more power to your receiver's sound quality may not be the answer to what you want.

Unregistered guest
I would have to agree. Seperates will seamingly always give you better sound. They are individually made for one purpose - amp, preamp, etc. With that you get quality. By seperating power supplies, transformers, etc, you lose the interfearence and power draws it take to light up that little display on your receiver.
So to sum it up, if you really want the audiophile sound, seperates are the way to go. I won't make any recomendations, but expect to pay some money though. As like all things, when you want the best, you pay the price. Good luck and enjoy!

www.digitalhsolutions.com

Bronze Member
Username: Frostyda9

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 40
cringe

v 1: draw back, as with fear or pain

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 281
the main thing is you don't say exactly WHAT it was that made you cringe.

if your lower powered amp sounds better than one with more power, then it sounds (pun intended) like you're ALREADY on the right track.

there are ALOT of things that can make someone cringe...
distortions
tone... too bright... too warm
speed (or lack thereof)
noise
and so on.

what was it that offended your ears?
what are you SPECIFIC goals for improvements? just to play louder? if that's the case, then a higher powered yamaha amp seems like what you want if you are already happy with your cuurent amp's tone etc.

if you want SPECIFIC answers, you need to be more specific with your descriptions.

"i don't like this... and i don't like that either"
is NOT a very technical description.

licorice and peaches make ME cringe. can you recommend the perfect dinner for me based on that? (read sarcasm)

you need to know what you want before you can get it.

Bronze Member
Username: Frostyda9

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 49
Stephen...in your original post, were you trying to say "what can I do to avoid similar results when I add an external amplifier to the Yamaha, since I wasn't at all impressed with the sound presented by the Carver"? Because if you did, this thread would make a lot more sense to me.

Bronze Member
Username: Wired_for_sound

Chicago, Il U.s.a

Post Number: 13
I apologize, I used the wrong word CRINGE was not meant to be offensive as in listening, what I am saying my POLK rti-10s came to life with the added power from the dedicated amp for the two front channels. The Yamaha specs say 130wpc but I beg to differ so I addded an amp just for the fronts (yamaha m-70 vintage 200wpc) and my polks sound GREAT, I mean GRRREAT! I don't have deep pockets, but when I find a deal I go for it.
This is my current set up Sony 42" lcd Tv, Yamaha RX V-2500, Yamaha C6770 DVD changer, Polk RTi-10's(fr), POLK CS1(center), POLK monitor 40's x 4(2rear, 2 surr) and (2)Cerwin Vega RL-28 subs, Technics MK-1200 tunrtable for the vinyl and a Sony vcr(for my billiard videos) and I AM VERY CONTENT WITH MY 12'x16' LISTENING/THEATER ROOM.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 289
ok... well then you didn't REALLY mean cringe. it sounds more like you intended to say "wasn't loud enough"

from everything that i've read here, yamaha gear is the most "overspecked" japanese electronics gear. where other manufacturers might be more conservative with their gear and allow for some headroom, it sounds like yamaha goes with the "maximimum useable output" for their specs.

"cringe" definately seemed to be an overstatement as amps will sound reasonably similar, but one amps tone compared to another could realistically lean one into cringing territory.

my already bright sounding mission M71 speakers make me cringe (especially over long listening sessions) matched with my onkyo reciever (mid-fi japanese recievers have a reputation for being bright) but it works great with my NHT superzeros which are too polite in the treble in my room.

if you really want to get "uncringed", you need to train your ears to what you like and what you don't like. if low powered amps that don't give you a gut massage make you cringe... then more power is the option.

it actually sounded like you were saying the opposite though. you didn't like the 250wpc carver but did like the lower powered yamaha?

it honestly looks like you're asking how to make your yamaha gear make you "cringe" like the carver gear which doesn't make sense.

maybe you just used the wrong adjective. maybe you meant to say... "my yamaha gear sounds good, but the carver amp blew me away and got me so excited i wet myself" LOL

cringe = sounds so bad it's painful. good things don't make you cringe, just bad ones. maybe by cringe, you meant "felt awed and small".

cringe is what you do when someone pokes you with a red hot cigarette.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us