What is Channel Separation

mike7731
Unregistered guest
What is channel separation, and is 63db good for a headphone output?

THD < 0.05%
SNR > 90db
Channel Separation > 63db

yay or nay?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5056

Left .......................................Right

That's channel separation. It depends on what frequency that 63dB spec was taken from.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 199
channel seperation is just what it says. it's the amount of difference between 2 channels. mono = 0dB seperation as both channels share the exact same signal.

63dB isn't that good for a headphone amp. that means that the seperation between your left and right channels is LESS than your noise level (90dB)

if you have a sound that purely left... you'll hear the same sound on the right 63dB below the left (eg. at 27dB right for 90dB left)

it isn't the end of the world though. many phono cartridges have a channel seperation of just 20-30dB. 35dB is excellent for a phono cartridge.

by the way... the "name" for seperation is "crosstalk" which is the amount that one channel talks to another.

63dB channel seperation
is the exact same thing as
-63dB crosstalk

the number is how much louder a sound will be over a "silent" channel where the sound bleeds into. the silent channel will stay silent until the other channel reaches 64dB.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5078

"the "name" for seperation is "crosstalk" which is the amount that one channel talks to another"

Try this, the "name" for lack of seperation is "crosstalk" which is the amount that one channel talks to another.

Separation is exactly what it implies. When a young couple are courting and talking to on another, they are said to be star "crossed". When a married couple are "separated", they do not talk to each other. Same thing in audio.

Anoy-Nymous
Unregistered guest
Channel Separation,

The gap between two pieces of land in Panama. The gap increases 0.002" every year

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5083

Uh, that's the Panama Canal.

Panama Canal

ADVERTISEMENT

waterway across the Isthmus of Panama, connecting the Atlantic (by way of the Caribbean Sea) and Pacific oceans, built by the United States (1904--14) on territory leased from the republic of Panama. The canal, running S and SE from Limon Bay at Colon on the Atlantic to the Bay of Panama at Balboa on the Pacific, is 40 mi (64 km) long from shore to shore and 51 mi (82 km) long between channel entrances. The Pacific terminus is 27 mi (43 km) east of the Caribbean terminus. The minimum depth is 41 ft (12.5 m).

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/encyclopedia/entry?id=35824

Anoy-Nymous
Unregistered guest
Excellent

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 209
yes... and if you noted... i DID put a NEGATIVE in front of the crosstalk specs didn't i?

-63dB = a lack of 63dB

i guess i just chose my wording wrong.

the term used to measure channel seperation is crosstalk which measures how well one channel refuses signals from the other channel.

the lower the crosstalk... the higher the channel seperation.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us