Is my L-Pad going to crap?

Mike45
Unregistered guest
I have a pair of 15 year old Infinity SM112 loudspeakers. They are three way, extremely efficient, and generally good sounding speakers. I only use the speakers occasionally anymore (they're in the basement.) But recently, the tweeter in the right speaker has been quieter than the other. I listened to each tweeter up close, and they both sound to me to have the same sound, it is clear, and undistorted through both of the tweeters. The SM112s have L-Pads for adjusting the volume to the tweeter. I am wondering if I should just spray some contact cleaner in there and see how it works out. The reason that I haven't yet is because when I turn up or down the L-Pad, the music doesn't crack out, it just gets twice as quiet than what it is at maximum.

The people on this forum seem knowledgeable, and I told you everything that I see wrong with and have tried to fix with my speakers, so my question is this: if my L-Pads are in fact shot (for whatever reason) should I build a crossover for the tweeter and just bypass the speakers crossover completely, and if so, what frequency/db level should I cross over the tweeter?

One thing that I forgot to mention in my inquiry was that the crossover is built right on to the back of the L-Pad box that faces the front of the speaker. It is glued together and I can't take it apart and look at the values and build my crossover from there. Anybody have ANY model of the Infinity SM series of spakers and knows the crossover point for the tweeter could you please tell me (that is, if my L-Pad/ crossover really went bad).

sorry if some parts don't make sense, I didn't sleep last night and my grammar sucks :-(
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us